Iphone 4s w/ IOS 7 or Windows Lumia 820 w/ GDR 2/Amber.

dayoungtx

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok. So need some help here. I have two phones and one sim card. I have an Iphone 4S which I recently upgraded to IOS 7 and I have a Lumia 820. Both are on AT&T. I am obviously still waiting for the GDR 2/Amber update to be released for the Lumia.

I am trying to decide which phone I want to commit to (I go back and forth every now and then).

Here are my pro's and con's, appreciate any feedback.

Love the build quality on the iphone. Just feels like a well made phone and it is a pretty tough phone that does come with guerilla glass so the screen is fairly scratch resistant. The windows phone screen just seems more susceptible to scratches and the build is a little less substantial in the hand.

Apps are obviously plentiful but to be honest, I use mostly the same apps and I can get them on both platforms. Key question is the quality of the app build on the different platforms.

Love the screen size on the 820, although the screen display is just a bit better on the iphone (not enough though to swing it one way or the other)

I love the fact that the iphone has the notification center AND that the phone, when locked and dark, will "wake up" and show you the incoming text, email, etc. The windows phone, by comparison does not provide you with that option. Not sure what GDR 2/Amber provides - if it comes with Glance, this may solve for that problem.

I do really dig the Windows operating system and the Live Tiles, but wish there were a) more apps with live tiles and that b) the live tiles provided more relevant information...

What is going to be coming with the GDR 2/Amber update and will it help sway me one way or the other? What do people think??

Thanks!
Derek

ali80

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I think you can still use your iPhone without a sim card. I have HTC 8x & iphone4. Both with sim cards without any plan. Mostly I use my iphone for trolling twitter account and an app which works as an amplifier for my electric guitar (ampkit). I'm using both mostly for social networks.

Now, I think you should put the sim on the WP and use the iPhone for what you can't find in WP.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a 920 on AT&T. I had an 820, I loved that phone. That's a hard choice, though, because the iPhone 4S is a sweet little device.

The only real comment that I have is this: I'm still waiting for Amber/GDR2 on the 920, a device AT&T still sells. While I tend to be optimistic about things like this, my faith in AT&T is beginning to waver. And they no longer carry the 820, so unless you're willing to flash it with another ROM, I'd wonder if you'll EVER see Amber/GDR2 on an 820. *shrug*

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think you can still use your iPhone without a sim card.

You can... turn on Airplane mode and use WiFi only. However, if you have to re-load iOS or something through iTunes, it won't fire up without a SIM. But I have an iPhone 4S at home without a SIM I use for playing with iOS now and again. I just upgraded it to iOS 7.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I would wait and see when (if) AT&T is going to send the updates for the 820. I have a 820 and love it. But if AT&T is not going to support it. Don't see the point in keeping it. If I don't get the updates for my 820 I will probably go back to Android and change to another provider that does a better job of supporting the phones they sell. My 820 is only four months old. Apple got their update out in less than a few days. We have been waiting a month and a half and still nothing. Makes you wonder why Nokia and Microsoft send all the new phones to AT&T with their lack of support for WP8 devices. And yet you got a update (and a major one) for a two year old Apple phone in less than a week. Kind of shakes my confidence in AT&T, Nokia, and Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte