Is Anyone Else Having Problems With MS Word, Excel, or PowerPoint After App Update? PROBLEM RESOLVED

Scott-In-Beaverton

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm having problems with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint after MicroSoft updated the Office apps yesterday. When I attempt to open any of the Office apps the splash screen displays for about one second and then the app closes. I have deleted and reloaded all Office apps and performed a soft reset on the phone. One Note is my only Office app that works normal, but it was not updated yesterday. Everything else about the phone is working properly as are all other apps. I have three Lumia 640 phones and I now have the Office issue on all three phones. Here are some technical details:

Phone AT&T Lumia 640 LTE (RM-1073_1004) running Windows 10 version 10.0.14393.82
Office Apps - Word version 17.7341.47602.0, Excel version 17.7341.50222.0, PowerPoint version 17.7341.42612.0

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

finalrelief

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Re: Is Anyone Else Having Problems With MS Word, Excel, or PowerPoint After App Update?

No sir, all are working fine but on a 950xl on cricket. I hope yours isn't a permanent issue. Good luck!

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: Is Anyone Else Having Problems With MS Word, Excel, or PowerPoint After App Update?

I have the same version # for Word; Excel; and Powerpoint - and just did a check, and no issues...950XL, DS, USA

Scott-In-Beaverton

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site

Very interesting. It appears all is working fine on the 950XL. Possibly this is just an issue with the Lumia 640 or other mid range products.

Thanks for the prompt responses!

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

Very interesting. It appears all is working fine on the 950XL. Possibly this is just an issue with the Lumia 640 or other mid range products.

Thanks for the prompt responses!

Did you do a soft reset?

Scott-In-Beaverton

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site

Yes I did a soft reset before I uninstalled the Office apps. After I reinstalled the Office apps and they failed the same way I again did a soft reset. So far I have not found any winning combination to get the Office apps working again.

Scott-In-Beaverton

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site

OK so I have figured out why my Word, Excel and PowerPoint are not working on my phone after the last Office apps update. The problem appears to be an SD card vs internal phone memory issue. My Office apps have always been installed on my SD card and worked fine until the last Office app updates. I have found if I install the Office apps directly to the phone's internal memory they launch and work correctly. If I then move the Office apps over to the SD card they are again broken and will not launch. Once the Office app is broken on the SD card moving it back over to the internal phone memory will not repair it. I have reported this Office app issue to MicroSoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99