Is Google conspiring with Blackberry against Windows Phone?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Its a very bad idea no reason to develop for WP if so.
WP doesnt need android apps.

With all due respect, I see many complaints here about WP missing apps compared to iOS and Android. This would be one way to solve that.
Now, of course, it isn't going to happen (unless MS get a CEO capable of making radical decisions). But from a customer's point of view, wouldn't it be a good thing?
BTW, I don't see why hardware compatibility would be a problem. WP phones use the same chipsets as Android phones. Any issues with controls could be dealt with using softkeys, as on many Android devices.

Last edited:

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If anything, google would pay blackberry to not sell to Microsoft. This I do believe is going on as we speak. We still don't see anything from the driving app Waze. I would be surprised if it ever came to the platform and if it does, it would be so crippled, it won't be work having.

Waze is coming soon. They have sent a mail to their beta testers saying that they are in the process to finally publish the app in store and its the last beta, testers will have.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
With all due respect, I see many complaints here about WP missing apps compared to iOS and Android.
Missing apps, or fully-baked apps? I think the latter is more like it. There is a list somewhere on here showing the top 100 apps across each platform. WP has something like 85-90% of them now, so it's not as bad as you are meant to believe. Some are not official apps, yes, but some of those third party apps are better than the official app. My sis-in-law was looking for 6Tag for her iPhone because she likes the UI better. *shrug* There will continue to be some complaints for specialty apps but it those are the growing pains. None-the-less, the top 100 apps will satisfy most smartphone users. There is only one app for Android that I couldn't find on WP and it's a minor inconvenience to have a better phone with a better OS.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Missing apps, or fully-baked apps? I think the latter is more like it. There is a list somewhere on here showing the top 100 apps across each platform. WP has something like 85-90% of them now, so it's not as bad as you are meant to believe. Some are not official apps, yes, but some of those third party apps are better than the official app. My sis-in-law was looking for 6Tag for her iPhone because she likes the UI better. *shrug* There will continue to be some complaints for specialty apps but it those are the growing pains. None-the-less, the top 100 apps will satisfy most smartphone users. There is only one app for Android that I couldn't find on WP and it's a minor inconvenience to have a better phone with a better OS.

I don't personally have an opinion on this, just taking into account what I read here.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You could put ios apps on a blackberry and people still probably wouldn't buy it, just because blackberry's rep has been damaged, plus the unfamiliar OS.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
If the Android API and BB API have some differences then I could imagine there will be widespread issues with buggy Android apps running on BB. I mean if Android phones have issues with buggy Android apps then you can imagine the problems they will cause on BB phones.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I think most of the big name apps on Windows Phone are here or soon to be here now. Which apps do you feel are missing on your Windows Phone?

As I said, I have no opinion on this. I was just responding to what I read here. I know not everyone agrees, but it seems to be quite a common opinion, or at least a common perception.

If the Android API and BB API have some differences then I could imagine there will be widespread issues with buggy Android apps running on BB. I mean if Android phones have issues with buggy Android apps then you can imagine the problems they will cause on BB phones.

Well, buggy apps will be buggy apps wherever they run. The point is that BB have created (and/or bought) an environment in which Android apps will run within their OS. This is about more than APIs - there's a whole virtual machine required. Presumably this includes all the Android APIs. I don't know how well this will work. It will be interesting to see.

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't really care if Google play is available on my BB. If I wanted an android I would've bought one. I value my security, so obviously I would try to stay away from ANY android app that becomes available.

breakingpoint0

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's Google conspiring with BlackBerry on anything. For MS they can continue trucking along and slowly gaining market share.

I think the full Android runtime was something BB probably wanted anyway, since they had Android apps to begin with. To make it official would be easier so the virtual environments the apps run in would be "official" and people wouldn't have to worry about compatibility.

For Google it means more exposure and potential for money, there really isn't a downside for them. For BlackBerry it's about getting those "needed" apps. What they had to give Google remains to be seen, let's hope they didn't have to compromise too much on their core values to get the rumored Play Store.

MarcoBug322

May 9, 2012
Visit site
There still alot of apps missing , i agree.
But make them available via playstore would kill Original WP apps.
That why im totally against it.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the fuss over "official" apps. As long as it works and has the proper feature set, I could care less if it was developed by Honey BooBoo.

the issue is Sirius changed their code and there is no one way to listen to Sirius on a windows phone, even their mobile web app doesn't work because it requires flash. It used to work then Sirius blocked the code.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
the issue is Sirius changed their code and there is no one way to listen to Sirius on a windows phone, even their mobile web app doesn't work because it requires flash. It used to work then Sirius blocked the code.

Flash is no longer being developed. Adobe abandoned it so I guess it doesn't work on iOS either (which never had Flash in the first place).

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Flash is no longer being developed. Adobe abandoned it so I guess it doesn't work on iOS either (which never had Flash in the first place).
No longer developed but still widely used. Depending on what device I have handy, I still listen to Sirius thru the browser. This is the one and only app that I miss not having on WP8 and Windows 8.1 and really wish would arrive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb