Is Icon unlocked? Will it work with T-Mobile LTE?

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Two questions are important for me
1. Will Verizon sell Icon unlocked? I know from my past experience that some of their newer phones were unlocked.
2. Will it work with T-Mobile LTE?

Thanks in advance for any info

anon(5343177)

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Two questions are important for me
1. Will Verizon sell Icon unlocked? I know from my past experience that some of their newer phones were unlocked.
2. Will it work with T-Mobile LTE?

Thanks in advance for any info

From Daniel Rubino's review:

" For T-Mobile, you can get HSPA (3G) connections, and it will fall back to the super-slow 2G Edge otherwise. It does not support T-Mobile LTE and I was often stuck on Edge, meaning the Lumia Icon will technically work but it?s far from ideal."

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
How about locked/unlocked business? I really don't want to go through ATT unlocking hell again...

If it is going to be locked to Verizon, the LTE question is irrelevant anyway.

anon(5343177)

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
How about locked/unlocked business? I really don't want to go through ATT unlocking hell again...

You may want to read the review .. yes it is unlocked but it is not an ideal phone for alternate carriers.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
From Daniel Rubino's review:

" For T-Mobile, you can get HSPA (3G) connections, and it will fall back to the super-slow 2G Edge otherwise. It does not support T-Mobile LTE and I was often stuck on Edge, meaning the Lumia Icon will technically work but it?s far from ideal."

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

but then he replies to a comment suggesting the lte should be compatible

"Yup, probably should, be here in NY I don't get many of those, so I'd never personally rely on it."

It doesn't sound like this was fairly tested. I still have some hope.

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
The question is where he was at, and if he was on re-farmed towers.

Tmobile is starting to use the 1900mhz spectrum for lte/4g speeds. In fact the 925 Lumia doesn't even have tmobile's old 1700(down)/2100(up) requirements for 4g/lte aws spectrum that was 21Mbps.

Also Tmobile supports LTE bands 4, which is supported in the Icon, the 1700-2100 spectrum we just talked about. So if anything you will be getting 4g/hspa+ which is 21Mbps. Considering Verizon in all test locations of my city was 5Mbps on LTE iphones and s4's....Tmobile pushing 18Mbps on a ATT iPhone that was (1700-2100) connected meant Tmobile was still faster.

So one I bet they did not have the right apn settings, and were not in a refarmed area or stuck in a old 4g area that did not accept the lte 4 band or the 1900 band for wcdma

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm in NYC and my Lumia Icon works on AT&T up to HSPA+ and T-Mobile up to HSPA+ (in a refarmed area). It sees the LTE network, but I didn't go as far as playing with the APN settings to turn get it to work, because I'd likely have to hard reset the phone to get Verizon LTE working (problem I had on the 928).

The phone is fully unlocked on GSM, as are all Verizon LTE phones due to FCC rules for their spectrum, however that doesn't mean it works properly on all networks. People have reported many issues getting messaging working properly (particularly MMS on AT&T and SMS on T-Mobile).

Henri Stadzisz

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
AR2186, your Nokia Icon from Verizon just came unlocked on GSM?
Yesterday I talked to Verizon Support and they told me that all Lumia Icons are full locked and didn't read others nano-SIMs.
I really like to buy it, but I'm outside US.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
They work. Verizon has to leave the GSM radio unlocked because they control the entire LTE band 13, it was a condition of getting the band from the FCC. Verizon will tell you that to get you to switch.

KipperKahn

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Love the look of the Lumia Icon. Been contemplating getting a Lumia 1020 (to replace my iPhone4).
If the Icon does come unlocked, would it work on the Canadian Telus HSPA+ Network. LTE is not a concern for me as 98% of my usage is areas that do not support LTE.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

No Verizon phone with LTE is allowed by the FCC to be locked to the carrier due to the stipulations on the band that Verizon leased for their LTE spectrum.

47 CFR 27.16 - Network access requirements for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands. | LII / Legal Information Institute
[INFO](e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks. [/INFO]

iconuser165

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why people hate Verizon. I actually talked to other carriers and found that the costs are very similar--so similar that the differences are virtually irrelevant--it only has to do with terminology as to how the charges are applied. It's almost as if there is collusion taking place when it concerns pricing--but I really don't believe that;). WINK.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I've been with VZW since 2008. I've had nothing but good service with them. I jumped from Sprint, who's quality of service went downhill after they bought Nextel.

kapsol

May 20, 2014
Visit site
So I have a Nokia Icon. I have bought very thing for this phone. I have done a lot of testing. I live in Chicago and this is the location were the testing took place. GSM networks work on on this phone it's all about the APN. Sometime on T-mobile I would not get text through. This happend very often on t-mobile. I want with AT@T I had internet problem and so on. I then want with Net10 "OR" TracFone. I want 1 month with each carrier. TracFone works great with this phone. I am getting 6mb down and 2.3mb up. Everything works fine and I am getting service every were. The one thing I have noticed is sometime my picture messages don't go through. What it's fine. Verizon want's to much for service and I was dedicated no to give them my business. This is why I am bring you all this news. So here is teh APN setting for TracFone and Net10.
I would to say F U Verizon ok let's start
1.Settings
2.Cellular on
3.Don't roam "Or Roam I don't care"
4. I set mine up at the 3G "it will not go to LTE yet and for me 3G is working fine" 6mb down and 2.+ Up I personally don't need more"
"For limited WI-Fi Connectivity
5. User cellurar data

Edit Internet APN
APN tfdata
Proxy mms3.tracfone.com
Proxy Port 80
That is it have fun.. You can donate to me if you want to even .50 cents will help so I can continue on, I would like to try other networks as well. Kapsol101@yahoo.com "PayPaL" Any questions or need help shoot me a email.

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I bought 1 from Amazon & imported using myus.com so far hspa is the only thing that works on rogers(& im in an area that the se x1a(rogers locked) never could lock onto a decent hspa signal) i happend to lookup the device on industry Canada's site turns out probably like most if not all Verizon lte handsets are only licensed for gsm/hspa guess if they ever iron out lte roaming in canada it will have to be relicensed & enabled in later fw/ap app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos