Is it possible to install an App on WP 10 or 8.1 from a source other than Microsoft 'Store'?

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I would like to use a utility that I have installed on my PC that allows me to send SMS via internet using my Phones mobile account. I can receive SMS' fairly easily out in the countryside where I live but sending is difficult without making a phone call from my landline to my mobile phone to get it freshly connected to the tower.
thanks
Rollo

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I would like to use a utility that I have installed on my PC that allows me to send SMS via internet using my Phones mobile account. I can receive SMS' fairly easily out in the countryside where I live but sending is difficult without making a phone call from my landline to my mobile phone to get it freshly connected to the tower.
thanks
Rollo

you can try using developer mode and sideloading the app

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Chintan, can I enter 'Developer mode on my Nokia 925 or do I need to upgrade to one of the WP10 Developer rings? (BTW -This web page doesn't work in Firefox, crashes IE11 and Edge struggles handle it)

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
yes you need to have wp10, but you probably cant do that as of today, if you want to you would have to hack your phone

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
ESPack, by "as of today" does that mean that the Developer rings shut down today? I guess I'll do a Google on hacking my WP, Thanks for your time

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
thanks
Rollo

What OS are you running, 8.1?

I ask, because since 8.x, on our phones, I have the *exact* opposite experience with texting, at one ski area we frequent.
While calling is almost impossible, due to very intermittent cell signal, if we text, it usually gets "pushed through", on one of the retries.
Occasionally, it times out, and I have to hit "retry", but I don't think I've ever had to do this more than once, in this location/situation.

I wonder if there's an issue with your APN or similar, maybe you're using a really old one for your carrier, and upgrading the APN would fix your issue.

I will say, I've tried to use Google Voice, to do exactly what you're attempting, on my W10m phone, and have had extremely poor success, and that's putting it nicely. While it works perfectly fine, when I have a nice strong cell or WiFi signal, as soon as things go "weak", GV fails to get my forwards, from my carrier's number.
Edit: Probably I should say GV fails to display the forwards, as obviously it's getting them still, just fine, but on an intermittent data connection, GV fails to display the forwarded texts and/or calls.

rollob

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Pjay
I am running 8.1.
I doubt the APN is the issue - and, I can't remember or find it in settings.

Rollo

"What OS are you running, 8.1?

I ask, because since 8.x, on our phones, I have the *exact* opposite experience with texting, at one ski area we frequent.
While calling is almost impossible, due to very intermittent cell signal, if we text, it usually gets "pushed through", on one of the retries.
Occasionally, it times out, and I have to hit "retry", but I don't think I've ever had to do this more than once, in this location/situation.

I wonder if there's an issue with your APN or similar, maybe you're using a really old one for your carrier, and upgrading the APN would fix your issue.

I will say, I've tried to use Google Voice, to do exactly what you're attempting, on my W10m phone, and have had extremely poor success, and that's putting it nicely. While it works perfectly fine, when I have a nice strong cell or WiFi signal, as soon as things go "weak", GV fails to get my forwards, from my carrier's number.
Edit: Probably I should say GV fails to display the forwards, as obviously it's getting them still, just fine, but on an intermittent data connection, GV fails to display the forwarded texts and/or calls."

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Chintan, can I enter 'Developer mode on my Nokia 925 or do I need to upgrade to one of the WP10 Developer rings? (BTW -This web page doesn't work in Firefox, crashes IE11 and Edge struggles handle it)

by webpage, if you mean WC, then try using firefox with an adblocker, it should run much faster

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos