Is it possible to open files on ftp server in their default app instead of IE?

sarim_xyz

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello there,

I set up my NAS storage as FTP server and added the FTP location to the Windows Explorer. However, the files from the FTP always open in IE on double-click and then download. Is it possible to have them open in default apps (such as pictures opening in Photos app, pdf in Adobe Reader, etc.)? I tried to change default apps by protocol in Settings, but the only option I see is IE.

Any help would be appreciated. I am running Windows 10, btw.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello there,

I set up my NAS storage as FTP server and added the FTP location to the Windows Explorer. However, the files from the FTP always open in IE on double-click and then download. Is it possible to have them open in default apps (such as pictures opening in Photos app, pdf in Adobe Reader, etc.)? I tried to change default apps by protocol in Settings, but the only option I see is IE.

Any help would be appreciated. I am running Windows 10, btw.

How do did you add the location / shares?

Guessing you used Map network drive?

Or did you use add new network location?

It normally shouldn't matter if used file explorer for instance to a network location but lately with Windows 10... you can't rule anything out...

sarim_xyz

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
How do did you add the location / shares?

Guessing you used Map network drive?

Or did you use add new network location?

It normally shouldn't matter if used file explorer for instance to a network location but lately with Windows 10... you can't rule anything out...

Thanks for your reply.

I set up the FTP and added the login and shares through my linksys router's software. Then, I used Add Network Location to add the FTP URL to the Windows Explorer. I can browse everything, just that I can't double click the files to directly open them in default apps as I said.

I can't map network drive because the router uses SMBv1 protocol which is disabled in Windows 10 and I don't want to enable it and make my PC vulnerable.

For now, I can open files in IE which downloads it and then opens it in the app, but I wished I could open them in the app directly on double click.

Any ideas?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

I set up the FTP and added the login and shares through my linksys router's software. Then, I used Add Network Location to add the FTP URL to the Windows Explorer. I can browse everything, just that I can't double click the files to directly open them in default apps as I said.

I can't map network drive because the router uses SMBv1 protocol which is disabled in Windows 10 and I don't want to enable it and make my PC vulnerable.

For now, I can open files in IE which downloads it and then opens it in the app, but I wished I could open them in the app directly on double click.

Any ideas?

Ah I see, the easiest solution would've be Apps for Websites in settings and then add the FTP urls but... we can't add apps for websites ourselves... unless that's been added in the latest version (I'm still on 1803)?

I'm guessing you've already tried shift + right click + open with?

Are you using 10 Pro or 10 Home?

Try enabling the webclient services in services.msc also is both Server and Workstation services enabled?

The other alternative you could try is using symbolic links, Hardlinks, Junctions, Volume Mount points etc I've not tried this with a FTP server so YMMV.

The best tool for that is Link Shell Extension as you don't have to fiddle around with Command Prompt.

If you do want to use command prompt, the command is mklink [whatever file/folder name] /link type flag {directory you are linking to}

So for example it would be mklink test /d {for symbolic links} {mapped network drive letter}:\[Whatever file name]

Edit:

What you may be looking for is volume mount point, you can use disk management for that so create a small volume on your hdd / ssd etc.

Assign a drive letter and then right click it then point it to a folder on a FTP Share.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99