Is Microsoft's "business approach" working-out well for Mobile?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
The problem is that Microsoft is struggling to find a way to be successful in the mobile market. I have to say that I am on my first day using a Windows Phone (a Lumia 950xl), but I am not sure if I can continue using it as my daily driver. The OS is good and integration with Windows 10 is really great, but the app situation is disappointing. Somehow I think Microsoft shouldn't give up on Windows Phone so early. While we all know that the future is based on Windows 10 cellular devices, Microsoft is taking a big risk here. By the time we get a Surface Phone Microsoft will be completely irrelevant im the mobile market.

What risk are they taking? They currently have 2% of the market or something like that. They are attempting to reinvent the market, which is what innovators do.
I'm sorry you are finding Windows mobile is not meeting your needs. The app situation is not new and well publicised. It certainly meets core functionality though and the 950xl is a nice phone. Maybe give it a little more time. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
What risk are they taking? They currently have 2% of the market or something like that. They are attempting to reinvent the market, which is what innovators do.
I'm sorry you are finding Windows mobile is not meeting your needs. The app situation is not new and well publicised. It certainly meets core functionality though and the 950xl is a nice phone. Maybe give it a little more time. Best of luck to you.

Currently market share is something like 0,1%.

Before buying a 950XL I knew of course where I was getting into. I also have an HTC 10 and when comparing the two, the HTC 10 is the winner here.
The worst thing about the Lumia 950XL (apart from its sound), is the uncertain future of the platform.

As far as the apps concern, if I decide to get rid of my HTC 10 and stay with the Lumia, I will be losing the following functionality:
  • Online banking for my bank (DKB Germany)
  • the ability to buy tickets for tram and busses here in Mannheim (no app available on Windows Mobile)
  • Google Trips. When travelling it is really great to have such an app
  • Great Exchange Server support. Just look at an Android app called "Nine". It is like desktop Outlook.
  • Google Maps. I know there are some alternatives on the Store, but none are so good.

So, I am still thinking about what I will do..

The mistake Microsoft is making is that they want to start over from scratch. They should try to strengthen the Windows Mobile platform, invest a lot of money and one day, when the Surface Phone is ready, the world will be ready for it too.
Now, if Microsoft brings a Surface Phone to the market, nobody will notice (but the blog sites).

Alyeldiin

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site

I of course knew the situation before buying a Lumia 950. And although I had the chance to switch back then I didn't because I wanted to stay in hope of the platform getting better. And sure, Microsoft can try to reinvent the market all they want. I honestly believe all the Androids and iPhones out there have nothing new to offer to customer except minor UI improvements or new slight features. But at least, Microsoft could've maintained the W10M platform as it "was" until they're ready with their game changer mobile surface PC, is all I'm saying.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Before buying a 950XL I knew of course where I was getting into. I also have an HTC 10 and when comparing the two, the HTC 10 is the winner here.
The worst thing about the Lumia 950XL (apart from its sound), is the uncertain future of the platform.

As far as the apps concern, if I decide to get rid of my HTC 10 and stay with the Lumia, I will be losing the following functionality:
  • the ability to buy tickets for tram and busses here in Mannheim (no app available on Windows Mobile)
  • Great Exchange Server support. Just look at an Android app called "Nine". It is like desktop Outlook.
  • Google Maps. I know there are some alternatives on the Store, but none are so good.

The mistake Microsoft is making is that they want to start over from scratch. They should try to strengthen the Windows Mobile platform, invest a lot of money and one day, when the Surface Phone is ready, the world will be ready for it too.
Now, if Microsoft brings a Surface Phone to the market, nobody will notice (but the blog sites).

You have brought up some good subjective points. You need to choose what works best for you and meets your needs.
Doesn't DB have a mobile web site to purchase train tickets and look up arrival and departure times? I've been to Germany a couple of times (love it) and thought I had used it. My bank has an app but yours doesn't.
I'm not worried about MS marketing the Surface phone when it comes out. They are a global company with millions of users. W10 is up to 25% on computers now so people will be used to the UI. Time will tell.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

That's correct

The future of the platform IS NOT UNCERTAIN. MS has clearly been saying for a while now that they DON'T want to continue with Smartphones. They've repeatedly been saying they want to COMPETE with Smartphones indirectly with Pocket PCs running Windows 10 on ARM with Smartphone capabilities. WHAT'S UNCERTAIN?

In the interim could you use banking and tram/busses websites? ON the others, your own recommended alternatives?

You call it "Starting from scratch". Others call it Evolving or Morphing. The thing is we're conscious of it; we're impacted by this "birthing process" AND IT HURTS, I'll admit.

Nonsense. Come on now.... :wink:

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Full Dresser
Lumia ICON [Win10M 15025.1000] Sportster
Even when I lose, I win.

Last edited:

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
You have brought up some good subjective points. You need to choose what works best for you and meets your needs.
Doesn't DB have a mobile web site to purchase train tickets and look up arrival and departure times? I've been to Germany a couple of times (love it) and thought I had used it. My bank has an app but yours doesn't.
I'm not worried about MS marketing the Surface phone when it comes out. They are a global company with millions of users. W10 is up to 25% on computers now so people will be used to the UI. Time will tell.

Yes, the Deutsche Bahn has a mobile website and a W10 app! I am talking about the local RNV for Mannheim, which is only available for iOS and Android...

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
That's correct

The future of the platform IS NOT UNCERTAIN. MS has clearly been saying for a while now that they DON'T want to continue with Smartphones. They've repeatedly been saying they want to COMPETE with Smartphones indirectly with Pocket PCs running Windows 10 on ARM with Smartphone capabilities. WHAT'S UNCERTAIN?

In the interim could you use banking and tram/busses websites? ON the others, your own recommended alternatives?

You call it "Starting from scratch". Others call it Evolving or Morphing. The thing is we're conscious of it; we're impacted by this "birthing process" AND IT HURTS, I'll admit.

Nonsense. Come on now.... :wink:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

The future of the platform is uncertain. Microsoft is out of the smartphone hardware business, but it still supports Windows Mobile 10.There are many articles who wonder about the future of the platform, so I am not alone on that. Last week there was an article here on Windows Central about this very topic.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
The future of the platform is uncertain. Microsoft is out of the smartphone hardware business, but it still supports Windows Mobile 10.There are many articles who wonder about the future of the platform, so I am not alone on that. Last week there was an article here on Windows Central about this very topic.

Well I read an article here on Windows Central to the contrary, albeit, quoting MS.
http://www.windowscentral.com/game-...=slider&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=wp
So we have to just agree to disagree :wink:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Don't go by what this site says, MS has been clear, they will not compete with IOS and Android devices, even surface phone will be limited availability with enterprise focus. Mostly likely they will inspire OEMs to bring in more mobile 2in1s and mini tabs.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

You speak English extremely well. Are you an ex-pat, Foreign Service, well educated? I've been to Mannheim a few times back in the 60s and 70s

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Don't go by what this site says, MS has been clear, they will not compete with IOS and Android devices, even surface phone will be limited availability with enterprise focus. Mostly likely they will inspire OEMs to bring in more mobile 2in1s and mini tabs.
Yes, but mobile devices will also need good apps. When Microsoft and its partners bring 2 in 1 devices, these will also have to be competitive. If they lack basic functionality or apps that people want to run, then they will not be very successful.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but mobile devices will also need good apps. When Microsoft and its partners bring 2 in 1 devices, these will also have to be competitive. If they lack basic functionality or apps that people want to run, then they will not be very successful.

They have most of the apps businesses need. They are not focusing on the consumer, though I do understand people want both.
I think we have to stop thinking they're competing with iOS and Android. They are not.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
They have most of the apps businesses need. They are not focusing on the consumer, though I do understand people want both.
I think we have to stop thinking they're competing with iOS and Android. They are not.

Currently they are not, but when the Surface Phone comes out they will have to! In order to make a device acceptable from business, you have to have a device that is accepted by consumers too. Look at the success of the iPhone in the enterprise for example..

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Currently they are not, but when the Surface Phone comes out they will have to! In order to make a device acceptable from business, you have to have a device that is accepted by consumers too. Look at the success of the iPhone in the enterprise for example..
If the Surface Phone is on ARM then apps won't be a problem, right?
Won't be low-end either :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
If the Surface Phone is on ARM then apps won't be a problem, right?
Won't be low-end either :winktongue:

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Windows Mobile 10 devices are also on ARM, but that didn't mean anything. Running full Windows on a small device is not really that important for many consumers. When I want a full blown computer I use my Surface Book. Even if the Surface Phone could do a lot of things, I would still prefer a proper computer for most stuff. I think that many are overestimating the Continuum features.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Windows Mobile 10 devices are also on ARM, but that didn't mean anything. Running full Windows on a small device is not really that important for many consumers. When I want a full blown computer I use my Surface Book. Even if the Surface Phone could do a lot of things, I would still prefer a proper computer for most stuff. I think that many are overestimating the Continuum features.

Business. Business. Business.
Not consumer... at least to start.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I fold.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

petvas72

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Phones are very personal devices. You cannot expect to have success by targeting only the enterprise. People use these devices in their personal lives too and they expect consumer focused features too. You can call these devices whatever you want, but if they don't apply to both consumers and enterprises, they will not have a big chance of succeeding.
Even in this future plan of Microsoft, universal apps will play a big role. Windows Mobile 10 is actually another windows sku and it uses a different shell than the standard windows 10. It supports uwp apps, so I cannot say that it is dead as a platform. I believe that it will just transform to something more powerful.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

No wait.... I don't fold. I just got weary of debate mode for awhile.

It wouldn't be Windows Mobile, It would be Full Windows 10 on ARM with Smartphone features. Apps problem cured. I don't think it'll be Surface Phone either - that's pushed to 2018 so plenty of time for PLENTY more birth pains.

For example:
Capture.PNG

EDIT >>>> BTW that device is "2" screens, not "1".

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Last edited:

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

This seems to be the problem. Nadella stated they are building products we all will Love and want to use, not building product forced on you by your boss. THIS will not help at all. It WILL create further animosity towards MS (especially after the forced Win 10 debacle).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)