Is scrolling micro stutter issue or normal behavior for Lumia phones? {experiment}

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi I have Lumia 640 DS and previously I had Lumia 630 DS, with both of them I faced this weird micro stutter during scrolling with finger continuously on screen, since I bought them. I could not find help or any definitive answer what it is on any thread so I've decide to conduct this experiment. Can you please try on your own Lumia phones to swipe slowly with finger on your screen (not lifting it) up and down on start screen, and than just flick the screen to scroll? Can you see any difference in motion of the screen (tiles), for example like tiles are sort of jumping, catching with your finger or slight stutter? Than can you please try the same thing with slowly swiping from your start screen to your list of apps with finger continuously on screen (and back to start screen) and than just flick the screen to get to your list of apps (and back to start screen)? Can you noticed some lag, stutter, or like jumpy sensation? Last thing you can try is watch closely as you start scrolling by swiping with your finger on screen and than after while lift your finger and let OS finish scrolling by itself. Can you see any difference? On my device I can clearly see that after I lift my finger scrolling became much smoother.

Purpose of this that I want to find definitive answer if this is an issue or its a normal behaviour for all or certain Lumia devices. By certain I mean for example devices that doesn't have Puremotion (60Hz refresh rate screen) technology, or high sensitivity setting or just cheaper devices and so on. That's why it is also important that you state what device do you have.

Whatever the cause I want to know if this micro stutter phenomenon isn't some issue that can be actually fixed, or if its normal and there is no need for fix, because clearly from the fact that when I just flick the screen and let it scroll by itself its perfectly smooth, OS itself is really as smooth as they say.

I am also adding two videos where I tried to capture this on slow motion so you can take a look (warning!!! there is nude wallpaper and picture on photos live tile).

Thank you all for help, I hope that we can finally find a definitive answer to this.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmGaD-SaLaH

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm a Muslim.. And its Ramadan.. Fasting .. And i checked your videos .. And i wish i didn't.. It would be much more appropriate to remove the nude picture from the videos or even warn us ... Or even shoot a video without nude picture respecting other people.

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I am so sorry I totally forgot about it being there, I don't have slow motion camera (it was my friends iPhone) so I cant make this video again until I visit my friend, I at least add warning for now, again I am really sorry I didn't meant any disrespect.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I see the stutter in your Video's but I do not see it in my 925 (CV Dutch on Denim wp8.1 update 1, with background picture) with touch normal and high sensitivity.

Manmikey

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
I have a 640 LTE and it does indeed have a stutter when holding your finger on the screen, for instance when scrolling up or down the app list, when flicking the list it is as smooth as butter.

Having said that, it doesn't worry me as I hadn't noticed it till reading this thread! So I'm not too worried about a fix.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Than you very much, that pretty much answer the whole question about this phenomenon, I was anticipating that this micro stutter is natural for Lumia devices (at least cheaper ones) and some lucky people simply doesn't notice that. I hope for more answers like this, to prove there is nothing wrong with our device and other Lumia phones. Thank you again for your help and I hope it didn't ruin your experience from this device, since it seem there is nothing actually wrong with this awesome phone :smile:

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I see the stutter in your Video's but I do not see it in my 925 (CV Dutch on Denim wp8.1 update 1, with background picture) with touch normal and high sensitivity.

Thank you for your answer, since 925 have puremotion technology it could also explain a lot

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I see the micro stutter on the lumia 820 (CV Dutch on Denim WP 8.1 update 1, with background picture, with replacement touch screen (which should be a genuine part) ).
But if I did not know it I would not have noticed it and now that I know it it is still not a "problem"

Sam_93

May 23, 2015
Visit site
i notice micro stuttering but very little. The effect is more pronounced when A live tile is about to flick or flicks . It might be due to the gpu . By the way I have lumia 640 Xl. It is not that much annoying though as when scrolling fast the screen just halts for a moment . but as I reduced live tiles scrolling is smooth now. Hope windows 10 will deal with all these.

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
i notice micro stuttering but very little. The effect is more pronounced when A live tile is about to flick or flicks . It might be due to the gpu . By the way I have lumia 640 Xl. It is not that much annoying though as when scrolling fast the screen just halts for a moment . but as I reduced live tiles scrolling is smooth now. Hope windows 10 will deal with all these.

Exactly its not that much annoying and since I know (based on your amazing response) that its most probably just a normal behaviour for our phones, I can successfully ignore it (and not notice it that much as before) and I hope it has same effect for those who were afraid that their device have some sort of issue and are generally disappointed with performance of their phones, because if it does than purpose of this thread is somewhat fulfilled. Its also true that it helps to have less live tiles and also swiping with side of the finger rather than tip of it helps. And definitely not having Cortana live tile pined to start screen helps a lot (especially with lag when returning to start screen).

Sam_93

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Exactly its not that much annoying and since I know (based on your amazing response) that its most probably just a normal behaviour for our phones, I can successfully ignore it (and not notice it that much as before) and I hope it has same effect for those who were afraid that their device have some sort of issue and are generally disappointed with performance of their phones, because if it does than purpose of this thread is somewhat fulfilled. Its also true that it helps to have less live tiles and also swiping with side of the finger rather than tip of it helps. And definitely not having Cortana live tile pined to start screen helps a lot (especially with lag when returning to start screen).

yeah absence of cortana helps but anyways cortana is not available in my region . Any ways I read in a site that windows phone has some scrolling speed limitations. you can read it here Does Windows Phone perform as well on the low-end as Android? Apparently not. - WMPoweruser. I think this explains all we see about stuttering may be .

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
yeah absence of cortana helps but anyways cortana is not available in my region . Any ways I read in a site that windows phone has some scrolling speed limitations. you can read it here Does Windows Phone perform as well on the low-end as Android? Apparently not. - WMPoweruser. I think this explains all we see about stuttering may be .

That's very interesting so they basically said that scrolling is slower so that it could feels smoother on any device, but it is well slow (I personally thing its fast enough). So this speed limit can somehow affect also swiping with finger continuously on screen? I thing anything is possible. Its unfortunate that all these sites always consider and write only about fast swiping which is very smooth. It would be great if some experts (some close to Microsoft would be best) could confirm that there is stutter when swiping slowly with finger left on screen and somehow look at it with guys from Microsoft themselves. Even though this thread proved that some people doesn't noticed it until they know what to look for but it still seems that Microsoft testers themselves somehow overlooked this or what :D

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 930 bought last November. Now I am running W10 latest build.
Scrolling slowly with my finger on the start screen vertically doesn't show jumping only slight slight stuttering. However scrolling slowly horizontally towards the app list, it shows the stutter.
This issue is common to WP/WM. It is easily seen in large devices.
Unfortunately you will get this issue in Windows10 as well. It has to do something with the way they build the video/touch input drivers.
If you perform the facebook scroll test (jumping screen while viewing lots of photos) on a L520 which has a very small screen you will not notice it. If you do it on a large screen device then it will easily show up.
I contacted them and funny thing is.. they don't see it. Well, many people don't see it, not even our beloved Rubino.
Until the community improves their eyesight you will have to accept the stuttering or get an iPhone (which I think I will do).
For me, maybe because I play PC games (refresh rate over 120HZ so over 60 fps clearly) my eye has trained itself to see stuttering. Most of the people that are working on developing W10M or WC editors use console games that are stuck at 30fps, sometimes playing 60fps constantly. They are not used to fluid animations in 120hz environment.
They know to tweak their core apps to seem fluent but the easiest way to see it is just use third party apps like facebook. You will see jumping screen easily.

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 930 bought last November. Now I am running W10 latest build.
Scrolling slowly with my finger on the start screen vertically doesn't show jumping only slight slight stuttering. However scrolling slowly horizontally towards the app list, it shows the stutter.
This issue is common to WP/WM. It is easily seen in large devices.
Unfortunately you will get this issue in Windows10 as well. It has to do something with the way they build the video/touch input drivers.
If you perform the facebook scroll test (jumping screen while viewing lots of photos) on a L520 which has a very small screen you will not notice it. If you do it on a large screen device then it will easily show up.
I contacted them and funny thing is.. they don't see it. Well, many people don't see it, not even our beloved Rubino.
Until the community improves their eyesight you will have to accept the stuttering or get an iPhone (which I think I will do).
For me, maybe because I play PC games (refresh rate over 120HZ so over 60 fps clearly) my eye has trained itself to see stuttering. Most of the people that are working on developing W10M or WC editors use console games that are stuck at 30fps, sometimes playing 60fps constantly. They are not used to fluid animations in 120hz environment.
They know to tweak their core apps to seem fluent but the easiest way to see it is just use third party apps like facebook. You will see jumping screen easily.

Thank you that was truly awesome. My thoughts exactly. I thing that lot of people are lucky and they don't see this but it is there and smaller screen or pure motion technology slightly improve the stuttering but it's there. I also thing that you are probably right about drivers because stutter occurs only when interacting with display as long as touch isn't actually involved everything is smooth, so OS itself is smooth as they say. And since that is true Microsoft doesn't need to concern about it anymore even if they see it which I also thing they don't. And yes iPhone is smooth even during continuous touch I've tested it on my friend iPhone 6. I also test windows 10 and I can also confirm stuttering is same in 640. Maybe we are really the unfortunate ones whose eyes are trained to see this, I'm probably sensitive to stuttering from video editing working as animator.

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I've found interesting thing, not sure if it proves anything but at least it could be a potential reason for this scroll jitter. I've looked at how WP work with touch and find out that they actually differentiate scrolling by dragging finger across the screen which they call simply DRAG, and just flicking the screen to scroll which they specify as FLICK. That's a fact so there is actual difference between dragging and flicking which some of us see. Now remember that this micro stutter looks like a content of the screen that is being scrolled sort of jumps number of times. Well Microsoft specify that when people start moving finger across the screen manipulation event called ManipulationStart occurs and than during drag ManipulationDelta event occurs number of times until movement stops, to notify system where exactly users finger is. Did you see this certain similarity there? System deals with touch by firing delta event multiple times like screen jumps multiple times, but when we just flick the screen and lift our finger from screen no delta event occurs as same as there is no jumping of content that has been scrolled. I know it could be nothing and I really don't understand how WP work and how rich works but it sounds pretty concurrent to me. Also if that's how it is, it would mean that this phenomenon is actually how system itself works and thus all windows phone devices as well. And that would mean that some of us are seeing things or others doesn't see this thing that is clearly there :D. Otherwise power of placebo effect ;). What do you thing could this be proof that this scrolling jitter affects all Lumia phones and possible source of this "issue"?

ceno666

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have a lumia 950 und the scrolling jitter drives me crazy, it is unbelievable that ms plain ignore this issue.

However, i just found out that in the app "tapatalk classic" smooth scrolling is reality! what sort of black magic is this?