Is Spotify really this bad or do I just need a new phone?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

The most important app I have on my phone is Spotify. I use it during workouts, in the car, and at home. However, I find it to be a terribly frustrating app to use. It takes more than 30 seconds to initially load up, is slow to navigate from various screens (not quite as long as the initial load up, but still very frustrating), the music (which is downloaded to my SD card) will occasionally skip, and worse of all, crashes at least once a day.

The Spotify app for Windows Phone has been notorious for its poor design, and so I was hoping that the latest update would significantly fix the issues. This - at least for me - hasn't happened.

But I'm not sure that it's actually the app itself. I have a Lumia 520, which, in phone years, is ancient. So I have to ask: Is it the app, the phone, or a combination of both?

Does the 4-inch BLU Windows phone handle Spotify well enough? Is there a phone that one might recommend to me to get better performance out of Spotify?

I've actually been considering buying an iPod Touch for the sole purpose of Spotify...

Thanks in advance for you help.

josephgerth

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I forgot to mention in my post that I just reset my phone entirely. I deleted all unnecessary bundled-in apps, and have one or two other downloaded apps besides Spotify (which I obviously would have had to reinstall). This improved the situation - but only to what I reported in my question.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
The most important app I have on my phone is Spotify. I use it during workouts, in the car, and at home. However, I find it to be a terribly frustrating app to use. It takes more than 30 seconds to initially load up, is slow to navigate from various screens (not quite as long as the initial load up, but still very frustrating), the music (which is downloaded to my SD card) will occasionally skip, and worse of all, crashes at least once a day.

The Spotify app for Windows Phone has been notorious for its poor design, and so I was hoping that the latest update would significantly fix the issues. This - at least for me - hasn't happened.

But I'm not sure that it's actually the app itself. I have a Lumia 520, which, in phone years, is ancient. So I have to ask: Is it the app, the phone, or a combination of both?

Does the 4-inch BLU Windows phone handle Spotify well enough? Is there a phone that one might recommend to me to get better performance out of Spotify?

I've actually been considering buying an iPod Touch for the sole purpose of Spotify...

Thanks in advance for you help.

I don't use Spotify at all so can't answer your question but I don't think the Blu phone would run it any better. As Snapdragon 200 is fairly inferior to the Spnadragon plus in your phone.

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes, app is bad. But I don't have any problems with it, except that it takes a few seconds to load it up. I only wish there was a scroll bar to easily go trough the playlist.
But my lack of problems could be because I have L930. So I guess you'll have to get an answer from someone else.
I seriously hope they will update it soon enough.

bichaels

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I have found Spotify very frustrating since the latest big update. Now feels very slow and unresponsive on my L1020. I thought it may be due to having slow internet connection but it still seems slow in offline mode. The user interface design makes it worse as it seems to take loads of clicks to get to my music now.

It worked well for me on the earlier more 'windows phone' style version and I would gladly role back even though that was missing loads of features.

Koen C

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
It worked really badly on my Lumia 620. Now I have a Lumia 640 and it works faster. First days I noticed no bugs but after a few days it still has problems starting up now and then. I hope the get this fixed for Windows 10 Mobile (or now would be good also).

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Have L930, Spotify runs really bad on Windows phone. I mean it runs "fine", but when you take a look at how it runs on an iPhone or an Android with ok specs it should run great on Windows phone too. It needs to be greatly improved.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I use it ALL the time in with a free account. It's slow to load, I can load games faster. But once open it plays fine with no issues, but slow to change radio stations or playlists, but nothing I can't live with. (L928)

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I use it ALL the time in with a free account. It's slow to load, I can load games faster. But once open it plays fine with no issues, but slow to change radio stations or playlists, but nothing I can't live with. (L928)
It's true for the most part. But why should we be okay with that? My last phone was Samsung galaxy nexus and even on those specs it runs smoothly. And I'm not okay with that.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
why do I put up with it? my wife's LG (smaller and older, lucid 2 I think) is also at the end of 2 year contract, her phone barely works, mine works the same as it did 2 years ago, that is why I put up with it. I never had to dink around, or ROM my phone for it to work. I charge it every night and use it every day and I don't have to think about it, it's just there doing it's job.

bichaels

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Spotify runs perfectly fine on my Lumia 820...

Do you have many playlists?

It's really slow on my L1020, eg 8 seconds to go from 'my music' to 'playlists' which gets frustrating very quickly as it's similar for almost any page I go to in the App. Sometimes it takes even longer and just gives up and crashes. I tried reinstalling but didn't help. I thought the app maybe struggled on the older dual core phones (not that that is an excuse!) but the L820 has the same chip as the L1020 I think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786