Is this time to give up on windows 10 mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Interesting to see people rant about a product that's not finished. If you think the insider preview gives you an inside look at exactly where Microsoft are in development, and what they are implementing, your are wrong. The insider preview is a partly stripped down version for people who develop or people who cares about technology and knows what lies behind the creation and coding of an OS.

When the OS is done, please rant away. Right now...just hang on.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Only time will tell with how MS's new strategy will play out. Universal apps, continuum, project whatever, the new Android and iOS user friendly UI, etc. "Wait until this time next year". Again.

The answer is sadly yes though. MS gave up on their own mobile platform a while ago.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Only time will tell with how MS's new strategy will play out. Universal apps, continuum, project whatever, the new Android and iOS user friendly UI, etc. "Wait until this time next year". Again.

The answer is sadly yes though. MS gave up on their own mobile platform a while ago.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Microsoft has never been so invested in mobile as they are now.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
What exactly are we waiting for?

MS is quite clear (judged by their actions) that they do not care a rats ar** about WP/W10M.
There is just no focus at all on the OS (from MS or anyone else) and they seem to be almost embarrassed to present the hardware.

So imagine they will (finally) get their acts together enough to release W10M, what would that change?

I guess MS will still put their main focus on iOS/Android and the rest will absolutely put 100% focus on iOS/Android.
The flood of "UNiversal apps" from W10 is just a dream.

W10M running on the L950 will give you NO unique functionally what so ever (not Cortana, not Office, not OneNote, not HERE, not Office Lens, not Outlook, not XBOX etc etc). Instead you will miss most new development from Microsoft and “all” development from the rest of the world.
(OK, you will get Continuum that will be fun for 30 minutes but of no real usage).

The WP/W10M phone is stone dead and Nadella killed it!

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
What exactly are we waiting for?

MS is quite clear (judged by their actions) that they do not care a rats ar** about WP/W10M.
There is just no focus at all on the OS (from MS or anyone else) and they seem to be almost embarrassed to present the hardware.

So imagine they will (finally) get their acts together enough to release W10M, what would that change?

I guess MS will still put their main focus on iOS/Android and the rest will absolutely put 100% focus on iOS/Android.
The flood of "UNiversal apps" from W10 is just a dream.

W10M running on the L950 will give you NO unique functionally what so ever (not Cortana, not Office, not OneNote, not HERE, not Office Lens, not Outlook, not XBOX etc etc). Instead you will miss most new development from Microsoft and “all” development from the rest of the world.
(OK, you will get Continuum that will be fun for 30 minutes but of no real usage).

The WP/W10M phone is stone dead and Nadella killed it!

That's your opinion. I'm not sure what you base it on though.

If you want to check out android or Iphone you're free to do so. I used Iphone for some years until november last year, don't miss it. I use android as work phone (my companys desition) and it's awfull. I enjoy using Windows 10 Mobile as my personal phone / other workphone, and I can't, even if I really wanted to, see that Microsoft is not putting focus on the developement of this platform.

Maybe you'll use Continuum for only 30 minutes, maybe that's true for you, but I know for sure that I will use it on a daily basis. I guess as allways it comes down to what your preferences is and what you need in a phone/device.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I actually agree with that. MS is very invested in mobile... Android and iOS.

Microsoft is a software company. That's what they do. Why would they not develop software for their microsoft services running on other platforms? That would be just crazy if they didn't.

What do you think it costs in resources to reboot their entire platform into a new core that runs the same apps across all devices? Do you really think they put more resources into developement of WP7 or 8 ?

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
"Microsoft is a software company. That's what they do. Why would they not develop software for their microsoft services running on other platforms? That would be just crazy if they didn't."

IF they really believe that they could challenge iOS/Android their behavior would be stupid as they give away their (only) weapon they could use in this fight. If they do not believe in their own system (WP/W10M) then what they do is natural.

Microsoft is not stupid in that sense, I.e. they do not believe they can challenge iOS/Android and they have given up this fight. WP/W10M will just receive second (third?) class attention as their focus will (continue) to be on iOS/Android.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I agree it looks strange for them to release this apps on other platforms. But when you think about it, that's their best and maybe only efficient way to get people over to their platform. This services (mail, music, video, calendar, etc) are so closely tied to mobile platforms that they have to be present where the users are. Google doesn't need to because they own about 80% of the total market. Microsoft needs people to start using their services and ultimatly get them over to their platform when these users are heavily invested into their ecosystem of services.

It would not be a very good weapon to keep them exclusive for Windows Mobile, as long as there are other allmost just as good alternatives on android or iphone. People don't care what kind of office software or mail service they use. They pick the first one they come across. But you can be sure that if they first have picked one they won't change to another one, effectivly meaning they won't change to a Windows Mobile device.

syspry

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure why some of you believe that MS doesn't care about mobile. They have to be invested in mobile because mobile is a big part of what Continuum is all about and Continuum is a big part of W10/W10m. As even the news writers for WC have stated, without mobile there's not much reason for Continuum.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I agree it looks strange for them to release this apps on other platforms. But when you think about it, that's their best and maybe only efficient way to get people over to their platform. This services (mail, music, video, calendar, etc) are so closely tied to mobile platforms that they have to be present where the users are. Google doesn't need to because they own about 80% of the total market. Microsoft needs people to start using their services and ultimatly get them over to their platform when these users are heavily invested into their ecosystem of services.

It would not be a very good weapon to keep them exclusive for Windows Mobile, as long as there are other allmost just as good alternatives on android or iphone. People don't care what kind of office software or mail service they use. They pick the first one they come across. But you can be sure that if they first have picked one they won't change to another one, effectivly meaning they won't change to a Windows Mobile device.

You believe ios/android users see ANY reason to switch to WP/W10M? What could that reason be?

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure why some of you believe that MS doesn't care about mobile. They have to be invested in mobile because mobile is a big part of what Continuum is all about and Continuum is a big part of W10/W10m. As even the news writers for WC have stated, without mobile there's not much reason for Continuum.

So what is the big "reason" for Continuum?

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
You believe ios/android users see ANY reason to switch to WP/W10M? What could that reason be?

I'm a hardcore WP/MS fan and I don't even see much reason to upgrade to W10M when it comes out so I can't imagine an Apple or Android user would be that interested. Universal apps? Continuum? I don't think most users will care about that when there's so many missing apps from the store.

In the good old days (before MS mucked it all up) the Nokia brand and the hardware behind it was an incentive to switch to WP. The high end Lumias looked awesome and came in eye catching colors. Now we have two bland slabs that look like mid range Lumias and only come in black and white. You have to pay extra for a 3rd party case if you want color. Lame.

Another incentive to switch was the Metro/Modern design language. Not just the start screen but the hubs, the pivots, the signature turn style animations, etc. It was unique and stood out from Android and iOS at the time. It was also well designed for one handed use. Sigh.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It interesting because people were making these same statements four years ago when it came to tablets. MSFT just doesn't get it, they are getting destroyed by the iPad and the numerous Andriod tablets....back then if you didn't have an iPad you didn't have a tablet. Now, the Surface series has almost eclipsed the iPad. Now consumers aren't just looking at iPads when wanting to buy a new tablet. We see Surface everywhere. The same team that made that happen, is now in charge of the mobile division, so what makes you think we shouldn't expect the same from them there? You forget Nadella's vision was to put a desktop OS in your pocket, the same way you can have a tablet that can replace your laptop. The reality is, the real edge to Windows Mobile which is how you have to look at it, is how it interlinks with other MSFT hardware. If you own an Xbox, a surface or another tablet running Win10, and a PC, if you know you get that same interaction through your mobile device...why not have one? MSFT may never have all the apps that the Apple store has, but they don't need to.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Windows Phones and Android hand-in-hand for a couple of years (iPhones? No thanks). And over time, instead of leaping over to Android, I ditched it last year. Sure, things look dark at times for Windows Phones and users, but soon our persistence will be rewarded greatly. I'm not so worried about the app gap (Yes, I have Snapchat. No, I don't use it). All I need is here with me. The experience is amazing if you only have a Windows Phone. Add a couple of other Windows-powered devices, and seeing how they work together effortlessly is awesome. Without realizing it, Microsoft was slowly becoming a huge part of my everyday life. I use my Windows 10 PC, a small Windows 10 tablet, my Windows 10 (preview) phone, Satechi's Cortana button in the car, the Xbox 360 but soon upgrading to Xbox One with Windows 10, and a Band 2 is on it's way. I have all this subconsciously, not planning to buy everything they have to offer or thinking about what Os it ran. I just enjoyed the experience. And I doubt any piece of this is getting cut off. That's what some people thought about Bing and Xbox a few years ago, but it's alive and well. Same with Windows 10 Mobile. It'll be alive and well in the future. Microsoft is heavily invested in all this, and we'll definitely get our fair share of this.

What a time to be alive!

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I refer to Daniels post earlier this week. Microsoft wants to reinvent Mobile. Not just put out another OS & Hardware. I personally am patient and am willing to wait another 6 months to see what's on the horizon. I've been in this way too long to jump ship now.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
To OP - I didnt read your full story, but you came along to this site just to write that essay, is good. Am not sure if that was to convince others or to yourself though...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)