Is this time to give up on windows 10 mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I would rather say all the WP fanboys feel so special and being non-mainstream, eagerly. Indeed WP is totally different from Android or iOS - but in a bad way.
To answer the initial question this thread started with: for me MSFT already has given up on mobile devices. It is pretty obvious: the lack of flagship devices for almost a year, cr*ppy builds crawling slowly and irregular out to devices, delays, excuses and no straight red line - in the design of the new OS and in the way how it is developing. Plus they started adapting elements from competitors to their own OS. Formerly platform-exclusive apps have been ported to Android and iOS which are more carefully designed and rich in features compared to their WP-counterpart. It is pretty obvious which "priority" the own mobile platform has for MSFT.
This way W10M won't attract (new potential) users and even for the current users we can notice many of them feel very disappointed and move on to competitors for good reasons. If the company has already give up on something it is stupid to keep holding onto it.
Maybe things change with a x86-based surface phone or something revolutionary. But no evidence for that.
Face it, we are riding a dead horse. I would not waste my money and buy a 950 (XL) now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
It's just funny to see how those windows phone fans are crazy about "surface" phone as if this is the ultimate answer. Before the icon and the 1520, people are saying "ohhh the new flagship will be nice, top-spec, killer camera blah blah". By the time they really hit the market people are saying I'd better wait for the next flagship and stay with my 920/1020. Right before the 950/xl it seems all fans are crazy but right after the launch people are saying it's not the real flagship and they want a "surface phone". it's just seems become a game of chasing the next big name. What if MSFT announced 950/xl as surface phone? You guys gonna chasing for what? Hololens phone? Lol

In the end still a big group of "windows phone fans" are expecting MSFT brings out more high-end devices while they still with their three years old 920/1020, making no profit, no market share to the company and dreaming one day WP will come up.....

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Even greathardware won't help if the OS running on the devices is halfbaked cr*p. Sorry but that that is what W10M atm. MSFT could do better as you see how things going for the desktop version. It is just they accepted that there is no future for W10M.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
For me, I need a phone that will work in the car. Microsoft has no story for using your phone in the car, unlike iOS and Android. The lack of MirrorLink support in Windows 10 Mobile is really frustrating. Why even be a member of the Car Connectivity Consortium if you have no plans on ever supporting the standard? So, I guess whenever I replace my Lumia 640 XL, I will be getting an iPhone. I spend many 10 hour days in the car, and having nothing for road warriors is too much miss out on.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
To answer the initial question this thread started with: for me MSFT already has given up on mobile devices. It is pretty obvious: the lack of flagship devices for almost a year, cr*ppy builds crawling slowly and irregular out to devices, delays, excuses and no straight red line - in the design of the new OS and in the way how it is developing. Plus they started adapting elements from competitors to their own OS. Formerly platform-exclusive apps have been ported to Android and iOS which are more carefully designed and rich in features compared to their WP-counterpart. It is pretty obvious which "priority" the own mobile platform has for MSFT.

Pretty much. It's so obvious that MS gave up on WP/W10M shortly after 8.1 and every decision afterwards has been desperate, poorly thought out and generally half-**ed. The users and fans care far more for this platform than MS ever did.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
”Worse” as in in it will be very hard for MS to fight Google/Apple with Continuum vs apps and programs that people actually use...

Can anyone imagine a company saying “no, we do not need apps as long as we get Continuum” or youngsters saying “well, I do not care if I can not use my bank or get the app for the next music festival, airline, travel agent, school etc as long as I get Continuum”...

I guess however that more than a few could have argued, “I’m sad to lose the apps but I can accept it as long as I get Office, OneDrive, Xbox, OfficeLens, OneNote, Outlook etc”.

3% was the peak for WP/W10M and without anything extra but a lot less (vs competition) it will only lose more and more interest.

Microsoft is more for productivity, I think they need to let us have some fun now since we have been so loyal with them. Allow us to have some fun apps, its been years now we have apps issues.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Been using windows since 510 was the most popular windows phone. I've seen the development and they are coming from a far. There are time I get frustrated but I don't see a another os I would switched to. Limited apps is our major downfall!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.[/WARN]

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I personally like what they are doing. It is not fully implemented and we have to see where it goes. WP is not Android or ios, it is more of a work phone that can also be used for personal things. Will it ever have all the apps the others have? I wouldn't bet on it but it still suits my needs. It's a mobile computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss