Issues with Here Maps on 920

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there.

I am a community nurse which visits patients in the morning. My phone is my indispensable companion in finding the addresses of my clients. I've recently bought my very first Windows Phone the Nokia Lumia 920. I've since updated the software to the developer 8.1 and the changes was a welcome sight with someone coming from Android & iOS.

I need a Maps app with voice navigation to guide me on my everyday travels i.e. walking to my patients. I also need to make sure that the Maps i'm using won't be a drain on my battery too much as in the case of Here Maps when from 100% charge tried testing on a sample route, stayed in my address but it didn't have voice and the battery went down to 80% in less than an hour testing. I must be doing something wrong.

Please help. Thanks.

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
First of all Welcome to Windows Phone.

If your on 8.1 preview you can use the maps/ Here Drive+ to do all of that and i believe its pretty fast. Regarding the battery, I am not sure if other apps will increase you battery, any navigation app will require background run. Btw try to reduce the apps running in the background and it will help you conserve for the maps.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Here maps/transit would provide you the walking directions for sure, try downloading the maps locally for offline use since that would save continuous data streaming and battery, nonetheless using any kind of navigation software on Windows phone (be it 8.0 or on 8.1) is a battery hog for sure so yes your phone is completely normal

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for welcoming me:)

I have made sure no apps or tasks are running in the background. And i have downloaded the appropriate maps for my Location i this case Europe>United Kingdom>London.

But still don't know why there is no voice navigation. Anything else i need to check or do?

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome aboard to WP central, first navigation apps are battery hogs, second is go into the map settings pick voice with announced street names, male or female your choice hope this helps.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Went to Here Maps, looked for the three dots, went to Settings and thee is no option to download voice or speech.

If Maps are a batter hog then is there any good Maps alternative that are not a battery hog? As i said i have downloaded the entire map of England to save me Data and battery but can't seem to get this voice thing to work.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi there.

I am a community nurse which visits patients in the morning. My phone is my indispensable companion in finding the addresses of my clients. I've recently bought my very first Windows Phone the Nokia Lumia 920. I've since updated the software to the developer 8.1 and the changes was a welcome sight with someone coming from Android & iOS.

I need a Maps app with voice navigation to guide me on my everyday travels i.e. walking to my patients. I also need to make sure that the Maps i'm using won't be a drain on my battery too much as in the case of Here Maps when from 100% charge tried testing on a sample route, stayed in my address but it didn't have voice and the battery went down to 80% in less than an hour testing. I must be doing something wrong.

Please help. Thanks.
Updating to pre-release 8.1 on your one needed device is the one main thing you did wrong.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Drive+ is very much based around cars, not walking. Maps will do walking, but no voice navigation. You'll need to hit up the app store for other options.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I did but so far no luck in finding a voice-assisted walking navigation. I think that's crucial in my job. And if navigation apps are a battery hog then i might as well get an iPhone or a mid-range/semi high-end Android phone that doesn't suck much out of my phone's battery life.

I fear the Lumia 920 might be dead by 11am even if on Airplane mode using the offline downloaded Here maps.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, just from a quick search there is Co-pilot GPS which gets good ratings, though I suspect has subscription charges even though the app is free. A cheaper option might be Path Navigator which is only 99p. Has a good rating and is cheap. I haven't used any of these myself, but there are options for you to explore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss