I've got the AT&T Nokia Lumia 1020. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

Stil_1

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
How fast does the 1020 charge from empty? the HTC One supported fast charge, but had it disabled in the kernel to preserve the life of its non removable battery. The S4 charges really fast at the full 2A speed. How does the 1020 fare?

Mostly wondering if I can plug in a dead phone and be at 80% after an hour of charge. Can be useful if I'm in need of a long day with the phone away from home.

kennedya

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
How fast does the 1020 charge from empty? the HTC One supported fast charge, but had it disabled in the kernel to preserve the life of its non removable battery. The S4 charges really fast at the full 2A speed. How does the 1020 fare?

Mostly wondering if I can plug in a dead phone and be at 80% after an hour of charge. Can be useful if I'm in need of a long day with the phone away from home.

This is a good question. My HTC one charges sooooo slowly compared to my old iPhone

Stil_1

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Also, Have you tried the new bracketing feature added this morning? Since it takes a while for shot to shot times, wondering if that holds true when bracketing the 3-5 shots in this mode.

msweig

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
OK here's a nontechnical question. Why do Americans get so worked up about the difference between $199 and $299 up front prices when the bulk of the spend is on the 2 year monthly plan? Are they so addicted to subsidies that they're mentally unable to factor in the overall cost in their purchasing decision? Or are they lusting so hard after the latest toys that they're signing up even when they have no savings?

Probably a combo of many Americans are really bad at math, saving money, and/or the fact that they might have to pay more that $199 when they've been paying that for years for the flagship phone. I don't understand it either (and I'm an American). I also find it very amusing that people are screaming about the $299 price, yet the iPhone with 32GB is also $299. It is just that there is a 16GB option at $199, so that is what always gets advertised.

msweig

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
No Data Sense?! Sigh...

Any idea if/when they plan to implement it? Are they simply waiting till they push the OS update out to the L920s, etc. also, or could this be much longer wait.

I'd really like to see what uses my data.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site

I was sleeping last night, but checked my BAttery Level for WP8 graph and it appears to have went from 10% charge to 100% charge in around 2.5 hours. Seems on par with what I was getting from the Lumia 920. Not sure what the HTC One times were like...

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Also, Have you tried the new bracketing feature added this morning? Since it takes a while for shot to shot times, wondering if that holds true when bracketing the 3-5 shots in this mode.

Yes it holds true. I was excited about this feature, but not after trying it. It takes a photo, the processed for a second or so, takes another photo, then processes, then takes the last photo. All in all it takes around 4-6 seconds for the process to complete (for 3 brackets) and 7-10 seconds for 5 brackets. Not bad if using a tripod, but holding steady with your hand can be a pain. Also, you must enable bracketting before EVERY photo it seems, which would get annoying. Cant just turn it on or off.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If you dont save the 38 MP ones, then you cant reframe (and get the lossless zoom). You 5MP oversamples will appear in the camera roll as normal, so you can do anything as you wish, like crop them (which I guess is reframing in that sense), but they no longer have the links to open them in the Pro Cam app (where the 38 MP files are usually accessible, and reframing is done). So essentially what I am saying is no.

When you are using 5Mpix mode you should be able to zoom in "losslessly" at the time of capture.. so you are only loosing the ability to manipulate the large pix if you don't have 38mpix mode off.

My recommendation is to stay away from the full res mode unless you want to resize, crop, etc. later.. the 5Mpix mode is more than enough for every day photography.

Capt Deadmeat

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi, great thread, thank you.

One question, have you found out if the reported barometer they have included does anything interesting? Any built in apps for it yet?

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for replying all our questions, it really means a lot to us!
not sure if anyone ask this prior...

Q1) you mention that 1020 did "hang" one time when you were using the Pro Cam, how did you reset/reboot it? Same way as L920?

Q2) can we use PD-95G Camera grip - as an external battery source to "reboot" L1020?

Cheers!

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
So it's been confirmed that the standard, built in camera app will simply snap shots in the over sampled 5MP format. What I want to know is: do we still get the incredible zoom features that this phone stands for? Does that also apply to other apps like SmartShoot and Panorama?

Thanks.

chronism

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to access the 38 megapixel pics other than hooking up to a PC? I am on a Mac and it doesn't mount/recognize the 1020. I want to grab the 38mp pics from the phone and use on my Mac.

Also, is it normal to see jaggies in the oversampled 5mp pics? Especially on long straight lines?

PepsimanLeh

May 19, 2013
Visit site
A question here Dan. Does the 1020 5mp oversampled image has better quality than a 8.7mp 925 pics? How does the 5mp pics looks when its zoomed in?

Last edited:

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
A question here Dan. Does the 1020 5mp oversampled image has better quality than a 8.7mp 925 pics? How does the 5mp pics looks when its zoomed in?

I cant speak to the 925 part, but the zoomed in 5mp photo looks amazing. because it is oversampled, there is less variation in color between adjacent pixels due to noise and when zoomed it looks much more crisp. Also, because it is originating from a 38 MP photo or so, it just looks stunning, especially when very fine details are present and can be examined.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
OK here's a nontechnical question. Why do Americans get so worked up about the difference between $199 and $299 up front prices when the bulk of the spend is on the 2 year monthly plan? Are they so addicted to subsidies that they're mentally unable to factor in the overall cost in their purchasing decision? Or are they lusting so hard after the latest toys that they're signing up even when they have no savings?

In the US, if you want a reasonably high end smartphone on a good network (which depends on where you live and your needs), you generally have no choice but to pay X per month for phone service plus Y per month for a data plan. These costs are fixed. It doesn't matter whether you buy the phone outright or on subsidy, locked or unlocked, on or off contract, whatever. You pay the same amount per month for service in any case. So the only way to save money is to minimize all spending that is in excess of the fixed monthly service costs. This means getting the maximum subsidy when it comes time to get a new phone. You could pay $300 up front for a 1020, or 1 cent for some other phone. Are you mentally able to understand the situation now?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire