Jason Ward uses Windows phone (for now) and asks why do you?

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I left Android back in mid-2016 for Windows Phone (WP)/Windows 10 Mobile (W10M).
But what really had won me is the fact that despite no official build anymore, I am still getting updates and patches directly from MS. Compared to my previous Android phone, I NEVER receive any single kind of updates or patches whatsoever from the manufacturer.

So true, I think my V20 has been left for dead by LG. So, I recently purchased an unopened box 950XL off ebay for $250 and it works great! Much better than the Idol 4S I used last year prior to purchasing the V20. I carry my V20 with me most of the time in my backpack just in case, but haven't had to pull it out since making the change a few weeks ago.

Ferkner

May 17, 2017
Visit site
I switched to Android this weekend after holding out for a long time. I went through three Windows Phone, upgrading only because the next one was bigger and faster than the previous one. I have always loved the Windows Phone OS. I never ever wanted a smartphone until Microsoft showed off Windows Phone 7. After that I was hooked and in 2011 I got my first Windows phone.

But we all know the path we traveled with the OS. So far, I am annoyed with Android. The folder structure doesn't seem logical to me. The Google Photos app doesn't show pictures that weren't taken with the camera like the Photos app on Windows Phone did. The layout annoys me too. So one of the first things I did was install Launcher 10. Now Android looks like Windows Phone. I also have Microsoft Launcher, but it's too Androidy for me. I wish it gave the option to mimic Windows Phone.

anachrotech

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Well, my battery drain became too rapid on my 950. I didn't want android so I bought an Iphone 8+. Took a bit but I'm used to it now. Sad.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If only MS hadn't abandoned their own apps then I wouldn't have had to switch to Android. I quite like it as it is but it just isn't as fun to use as WM was.

helgeduelbeck

Nov 4, 2018
Visit site
I do, and still use Windows OS for my phone. From O2 XPhone (Windows Smartphone 2003), Samsung Omnia Lite b7300 (Windows Mobile 6.5 - 2009), and now MS Lumia 535 (Windows Phone 8 2015).
And it become Lumia 535 Windows 10 Mobile now. I still use it.
I will change my phone if it really necessary to change.
It was come the 4G LTE era, and I just bought MiFi Alcatel for my lumia and laptop.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Sad to see Windows Phone being killed off. I really like the UI and how integrated it was. I have since moved to android begrudgingly but still have my 920. I took it out last year when I went to an arboretum and the pictures turned out pretty well after some years of not using it. I was hoping WP would get back on track but it looks like that won't be the case a

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I gave up on windows phones 2 years ago. Moved to Android first, as all Winsheep are supposed to do. Android is a disgusting mess. Google is an evil empire, whose sole purpose is to deliver ads to you.

Moved onto iPhones and iPads and could not be happier. The same apps are much better on iOS than on Android.

I don’t miss anything about Windows phones. It is all just a bad memory now. It’s nice to be in the mainstream, instead of being trapped in the wilderness.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Android is a disgusting mess. Google is an evil empire, whose sole purpose is to deliver ads to you.

I agree 100%! I moved to W10M because of this in 2016 and back again 3 months ago. When W10M is no longer usable, hopefully well into 2020, I will then strongly consider iPhone if there are no other alternatives.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree 100%! I moved to W10M because of this in 2016 and back again 3 months ago. When W10M is no longer usable, hopefully well into 2020, I will then strongly consider iPhone if there are no other alternatives.

I am waiting for Android to have Dark theme, so that Android finally joins 2010, and then I'll get myself Samsung Galaxy S10 or some other premium phone, which I hope it will FINALLY have a rear camera that noticeably better than the Lumia 950 series, and install Microsoft Launcher and such to get full integration with Windows 10

Personally, I wish there is a Microsoft Android phone, with greater Windows 10 integration than normally possible, and most important and more valuable to me: Using Microsoft servers to handle Android updates, so that you get proper support.

Ideally, I would love to have the "Surface Phone", but realistically I know it will be well over 1.5k, due to technology cost (foldable screen, complex hinge system, foldable pen digitizer system for the screen, etc.), so maybe gen 2 or 3 when price goes does as mass production allows such device to be made much cheaper. Then again, Microsoft did pull magic before with the Surface Pro 1. About 1 year before, laptop convertible where big, heavy, fat and super slow and cost 3k, and then boom, Surface Pro pulled the impossible and cost a fraction of the price.

sb1370

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I still have my Lumia 730. I don't like to get drowned into technology, don't want to voluntarily get myself into trouble and waste my time to make myself anxious... .
I use it mostly for texting, calling and alarm, and sometimes reading books or using as a dictionary. barely using it for web browsing when necessary (looking up something in web, etc.). The only annoying issue is its faulty proximity sensor.
I hope Microsoft don't mess with Edge, As it's the only smart app I use and there's no alternative for it.:unhappy:

Last edited:

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
When I decided to get my first "internet phone" in 2012 I had no idea about the different OS's on phones.

The only reason I came to Microsoft was because of Nokia. I had a PC at home but was totally ignorant of the the three OS's on mobile....like I said i wanted one of those "internet phones" and I got my first through T-Mobile with the Nokia Lumia 810.

Loved the OS and how smoothly it operated. Not even 6 months later I got the Nokia Lumia 925 which was probably the best Windows phone I ever owned.

Despite the lousy battery life that phone took amazing pictures at the time. Anyway a couple of years later i moved to a Lumia 950 and have had several of them.

Beautiful cameras but Windows 10 had too many bugs early on so I tried android and have bounced back and forth between the two platforms and now I have another Alcatel Idol 4S.

I recycled my Nokia 6 android a couple of weeks ago and received my new Alcatel Idol 4S.

Android is a mess to type on. Constant spelling mistakes and android giving me words I didn't mean to type.

Windows 8.1 was the best for texting and I could type out whole sentences just by the predictive text alone. Windows 10 isn't as good as 8.1 but better than android.

Am actually waiting on the new Nokia 7.1 to be delivered. I know it's still android but android does have some positive things....particularly the apps of course.

I guess the point is is I can't completely throw in the towel on windows. The live tiles and lock screen wallpapers look soo much better on the alcatel.

I have never had any situation where Windows couldn't provide me with what I needed. No app ?...
.pin the site to your start screen and there you have it. Had to do that with my last employer.

Windows didn't have the app but I pinned the site to my start screen and had everything I needed.

Sorry for being long winded but I realize for me anyway that Windows even at this stage is enough for all i need or do on a phone.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
When I decided to get my first "internet phone" in 2012 I had no idea about the different OS's on phones.

The only reason I came to Microsoft was because of Nokia. I had a PC at home but was totally ignorant of the the three OS's on mobile....like I said i wanted one of those "internet phones" and I got my first through T-Mobile with the Nokia Lumia 810.

Loved the OS and how smoothly it operated. Not even 6 months later I got the Nokia Lumia 925 which was probably the best Windows phone I ever owned.

Despite the lousy battery life that phone took amazing pictures at the time. Anyway a couple of years later i moved to a Lumia 950 and have had several of them.

Beautiful cameras but Windows 10 had too many bugs early on so I tried android and have bounced back and forth between the two platforms and now I have another Alcatel Idol 4S.

I recycled my Nokia 6 android a couple of weeks ago and received my new Alcatel Idol 4S.

Android is a mess to type on. Constant spelling mistakes and android giving me words I didn't mean to type.

Windows 8.1 was the best for texting and I could type out whole sentences just by the predictive text alone. Windows 10 isn't as good as 8.1 but better than android.

Am actually waiting on the new Nokia 7.1 to be delivered. I know it's still android but android does have some positive things....particularly the apps of course.

I guess the point is is I can't completely throw in the towel on windows. The live tiles and lock screen wallpapers look soo much better on the alcatel.

I have never had any situation where Windows couldn't provide me with what I needed. No app ?...
.pin the site to your start screen and there you have it. Had to do that with my last employer.

Windows didn't have the app but I pinned the site to my start screen and had everything I needed.

Sorry for being long winded but I realize for me anyway that Windows even at this stage is enough for all i need or do on a phone.

The problem with Android is that each phone has essentially its own OS. What I mean, is that while all Android phones are, well Android, from the end user perspective, each phone manufacture does it's own interface, keyboard, Settings panel, etc. And even if you get phone with the so call "Stock Android", some phone manufacture add options to the Settings panel that the OS normally doesn't support (and that is fine and great, especially if it is useful). The problem with this, is that your experience from an LG phone is completely different than from a Samsung phone which is different phone a Google Pixel, which is different from another Android phone.

Some have a crappy keyboard, other have better ones, others have a crappy "Action bar" interface (referring to the options found in the menu (notification bar) when you swipe down), some have crappy Settings panel, etc. And that is a big problem on the Android space, and it is part of the reason why updates is such a **** show, and why many people seek "Stock Android" experience, and jump on the Google Pixel phone even if they miss out on features like a headphone plug, because it is, in their opinion, the best Android experience, because you have Google wanting the best of the OS, and not have companies that are inherently not software companies, doing rushed job in order to be different, and call it a day. And MAYBE, just maybe, if it happens the phone that you got sold like hot cakes, you may, just about to get decent support (as it is not paid, beside being part of the price of the phone).

This is also why many users, get replacement keyboards (which is the saving grace of Android, having
that ability), and also the ability to replace the home screen, called "Launchers". Settings panel can't be changed, save for the notification bar and the reliability of the OS, but at least it allows to get a better experience.

Another thing is that Android is a mobile optimized OS. This means that unlike Windows that can run on a billions of PC configurations. Android has the device firmware and drivers baked to the OS. That is why on Android, you can just have a driver update be delivered on your phone, but rather at best, a firmware which contains the driver, or an actual OS update as the drivers can't be separately delivered.
In other words, Windows is a multi-layer system, while Android (and this includes: Windows 10 Mobile, and iOS) are not. That is also why Windows is much heavier on processors. everything has a much higher overhead as a result of this flexibility and power, which mobile phones doesn't deliver. All to say, if you have phone XYZ, and it happens to have a driver bug, and the manufacture doesn't release an update, or your phone carrier is blocking it because they think it is time for you to get a new phone instead, well to bad... you can't get a driver update for the specific hardware that is causing issues or stability issues of the system from the manufacture website (say: Qualcomm), like you can under Windows.

Last edited:

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Good to know. That is another reason I stuck with Nokia on android . Will get the next few years of updates. I don't want to replace my phone every year. Vanilla android is fine enough with me.

Speaking of keyboards on android. I was using swift key and it didn't really make any difference from the stock google keyboard. Still made typing mistakes galore.

Maybe it was the smaller key board IDK, but I can type reasonably quick on Windows with far fewer mistakes.

That's another thing with android I don't like is the way google handles messages.

When I'm driving with Bluetooth I can hear my messages and respond hands free with Cortana..

Not the same with google. Coming back to Windows is like a breath of fresh air again. No sloppy messages overload and a cluttered mess at the top of the screen.

Got to admit the apps are great on android but o can do with out also. So long as there is a web site I can pin to my start screen I am good to go.

Lordtree

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
You are not the last man standing. I and my family still tryin their windows phones. I just got a new set of batteries for my L950xl which has not gotten as bad as many with as many as 2500 charge cycles. Most by the 1000 cycles have less than half day of battery life mine still rocks (bear in mind 500 cycles is the industry standard for acceptable battery degradation).
While changing is tempting, there is no significant improvement. Especially in iPhones which used to feature the latest, now only adopts new features after half the industry has done it. So I and you didn't have to wait 5 years for Qi wireless charging, or 3 years for similar features to iris recognition, or outstanding camera and video quality of the 20mp zeiss camera. I and you and many already had it and still have it!. Still, iPhone does not offer up to a terabyte External storage but instead the ripoff of having to pay more for the on-board memory. Same for android, in addition to having to feed them your private info to perpetuity for their data mining scheme.
Therefore, I no great incentive to change. Most apps have a mobile web version. I still see people with their I phone 5 or I see them buy low spec androids and they think they are ok with their choice. Then why wouldn't you with your superior spec L950xl? Or is it that the game has become just CONSPIQUOUS CONSUMPTION. No that people really need to buy anything like the stupid notchless eldorado but that they make want you to just buy and toss the old one.
Jason, do not feel bad but proud for being a smart consumer who really demands real improvement on a product to buy a replacement and not being an *** who would freeze to pneumonia outside the door of a store to fetch after any bone Apple out Google throw at you.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a new battery for my Lumia 950XL, but i am just waiting for next year Android phone and I'll be switching.
Rear cameras on premium phones have surpassed the Lumia 950 series to a level I am happy with, and by that time Android should have Dark theme support, and finally have, in my book, feature parity to W10M.

My issue now is paying the price of a premium laptop (which I know I can keep for 7+ years really easy) to get one of those phone (3 years max of usage). Hopefully, they are cheaper options with the same great camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077