Just got my lumia 950 xl, love WP 10! Why is WP having a hard time?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If some company releases budget/midrangers for Windows 10 mobile, then the consumer would have to know or experience the core functionality of the phone being near flawless. The Avg. consumer does only a handful of things but if any one of those things is half par, or broken, then it ruins the user experience.

OOBE
Web Browsing
Maps/directions
Camera/photos
Files/docs/note taking
Phone calls/sms
Connecting to hot spots/open wifi

Those are the ones that come to mind. Windows right now has nailed all those minus a couple.

Now out of those few things above I can see two from my perspective that Windows 10 Mobile still struggles with, that being Web Browsing and the maps/directions experience. The Edge browser is still some what a Work in progress IMO, but I think it is not totally Mycroft's fault. A lot of the web has to catch up to where Edge is...Maps to me has too much over head. It barely runs on my 950 pretty much killing my battery in the process. So I could not see it working much at all on a budget phone, plus the UI is not user friendly and does not fit the rest of the apps/controls/interfaces in the OS.

I would say that out of the box just about any android device does those core functions just fine.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If some company releases budget/midrangers for Windows 10 mobile, then the consumer would have to know or experience the core functionality of the phone being near flawless. The Avg. consumer does only a handful of things but if any one of those things is half par, or broken, then it ruins the user experience.

OOBE
Web Browsing
Maps/directions
Camera/photos
Files/docs/note taking
Phone calls/sms

Those are the ones that come to mind. Windows right now has nailed all those minus a couple.

Now out of those few things above I can see two from my perspective that Windows 10 Mobile still struggles with, that being Web Browsing and the maps/directions experience. The Edge browser is still some what a Work in progress IMO, but I think it is not totally Mycroft's fault. A lot of the web has to catch up to where Edge is...Maps to me has too much over head. It barely runs on my 950 pretty much killing my battery in the process. So I could not see it working much at all on a budget phone, plus the UI is not user friendly and does not fit the rest of the apps/controls/interfaces in the OS.

I would say that out of the box just about any android device does those core functions just fine.

I'd agree but also of note is that camera, files and such haven't been nailed. I believe the Saving... issue hasn't been fixed and those "finishing touches" eat up time that no other platform takes up, Edge isn't even up-to-par with mobile Firefox from what I can tell on my 640, Maps doesn't have nearly the POI database of Google Maps, and then we take it's general quirkiness into account too, including with third-party apps. (Dropbox breaks if I enable Camera Uploads, etc.)

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

OOBE
Web Browsing
Maps/directions
Camera/photos
Files/docs/note taking
Phone calls/sms

That's true., especially about maps. There are other maps apps, and other browsers, but out of the box, it is probably not quite perfect for the average consumer.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
That's true., especially about maps. There are other maps apps, and other browsers, but out of the box, it is probably not quite perfect for the average consumer.

Ya it is a shame too, considering how nit picky we are as compared to maybe my mom (average consumer). Who btw has a new S8 ;)

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Windows Mobile has just half-heartedly implemented stuff all around the OS. Even in the PC Version there is stuff like that.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Re-re-revised position: Advertising.

Consumers are swayed by image, not features. Sure you need a phone that does basic things, but the non-technically inclined are not as fussy as you or I, and pick what they pick because ads, brand awareness and image told them to. Betamax was better than VHS, laserdisc was better than DVD. A lot of things are better than coke, or mcdonalds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes