L650 said to have SD 210?... Keep 640?

Furt

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
So I was expecting to be upgrading my 640 to a 650 on release day, but the current info coming out are showing a MSM8909 210 processor with 1GB RAM. the CPU is clock 100MHz slower and uses an Adreno 304 GPU vs the 305 on the 640.

I don't doubt the accuracy of the info, but I can't understand how this is going to be considered an upgrade... I have W10M on the 640 and it seems to be running perfectly fine, so I'm starting to really consider keeping it...

Furt

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't get it if anything I would get the 640 xl or the new Alcatel fierce xl

Sent from mTalk

I actually do have the 640XL, but the size is too much for me. I'm really pretty bummed out that the windows 10 scene is going full budget or full high-end. I would love to have a 5 inch or smaller screen windows phone with a 410 or 412....

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
640 is the best phone you can get for the price, GoPhone is cheap and ATT allowing to unlock the phone for free with no requirement it's good. international version while not as cheap, you can get it like $80-90. so how is that not being the best device?

Now, talking about 650, yes, it seems it will have a 210. that's what the prototype said, but you have to think about this, the construction will be with some metal on it, not only plastic. so that would give a more expensive look by sacrificing few of the specs.

640XL is obviously better about the camera. but if you want a 5" phone, 640 should be better than 650, don't think 210 vs 400 is too much difference, but 550 has a 210 and last time I saw a comparison and 640 opened faster all the time, even if Windows 10 is not officially launched for 640.

So the point of the 650 I think it's to give a more "premium" (yuck word) feeling by sacrificing some specs. but for the price you can get a 640/XL you can't go wrong with it. better wait for some time until you change phones. 640 is still the best phone for the price, and it will need some months to change that.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
You would assume the next logical step would've been the SD 410... I mean the 635 had the SD 400, then the 640 also had the same SD 400 (although a much improved experience) but now were getting the SD 210 with the 650? I think that is going to turn a lot of people off, no matter how nice it looks or performs. It seems to me they don't want to make these entry level phones so good that it hurts sales of future/current higher end - more expensive windows mobile devices.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
With Microsoft you cannot assume anything. Is a metal frame going to make the phone work any better. Even a 410 would have kept alot of the negative away from this phone. As it is, this phone is being set up to FAIL. Plus with the smaller battery, someone needs to have their behind kicked for calling this a upgrade to a reallly good effort with the 640.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This might be a 520 > 530 or 620 > 630 type of situation where they decided to just mix up the compromises made.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
This might be a 520 > 530 or 620 > 630 type of situation where they decided to just mix up the compromises made.

Possible. But I am put off by the processor. I actually think the 640 has overall decent build quality... Great quality with price factored in. I think upgrading hardware would be more of a seller than a "premium feel". To me personally, a downgrade on processing power is not a compromise I'm willing to make

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
The 210 and the 400 have the same cores A7, just little slower clock.
But i agree, i am not about to get another A7 core processor, i need atleast A53 cores or A72 cores or Kyro. I love everything about the 640 XL except having to stare at the screen while it opens things.
I would ONLY buy the 650 XL if it has a 415 or above. Prefer 650.

DEATH INC

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
from everything I've seen there is no reason to "Upgrade" to a 650 if your 640 is currently working just fine. While I prefer the look of the 650, the smaller battery and slightly worse specs don't give me any reason to consider it an option unless my 640 dies and there is no replacement on shelves.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
For some reason, the geniuses at Microsoft seem to think a successor device should have inferior or near identical specs to the device its replacing, with minimal other upgrades to warrant buying it. The logical order for their new phones should have been, 5x series with SD210, 6x w 410, 8x w 617 and flagships with the current 808 and 810. With Microsofts thinking thei successor to the 950s would have something like an SD 809/815 (if they existed) instead of the 820. For the 650 it cant be the cost of the CPU as that should be cheap enough now, it just seems Microsoft is trying to cut costs as much as they can and not really thinking about making their devices competitive, and are happy for them to be just good enough rather than excelling. These devices will not be competitive and willl only appeal to the Microsoft faithful, continuing the cycle of low sales for Windows handsets.

Jean Claude Lopez

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
So I was expecting to be upgrading my 640 to a 650 on release day, but the current info coming out are showing a MSM8909 210 processor with 1GB RAM. the CPU is clock 100MHz slower and uses an Adreno 304 GPU vs the 305 on the 640.

I don't doubt the accuracy of the info, but I can't understand how this is going to be considered an upgrade... I have W10M on the 640 and it seems to be running perfectly fine, so I'm starting to really consider keeping it...

The only reason you'd buy a 650 is to get W10, which you already have.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
On the plus side when the 650 is released, it might push the price of the 640 down.

But on the flip side since many it seems would prefer the 640 over the 650 (if it does turn out to have the 210) might push the price back up again :p.

Francisco_dAn

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
For some reason, the geniuses at Microsoft seem to think a successor device should have inferior or near identical specs to the device its replacing, with minimal other upgrades to warrant buying it. The logical order for their new phones should have been, 5x series with SD210, 6x w 410, 8x w 617 and flagships with the current 808 and 810. With Microsofts thinking thei successor to the 950s would have something like an SD 809/815 (if they existed) instead of the 820. For the 650 it cant be the cost of the CPU as that should be cheap enough now, it just seems Microsoft is trying to cut costs as much as they can and not really thinking about making their devices competitive, and are happy for them to be just good enough rather than excelling. These devices will not be competitive and willl only appeal to the Microsoft faithful, continuing the cycle of low sales for Windows handsets.

Understand that the 640 (edit:650) is for the business market which differs from the customer side. It needed functionality for business communications in the enterprise first and foremost. You don't need a ton of power when plugging into a MS based enterprise, you just need good connections to key entry points. Other than that, a little flair to say, "this isn't my kids phone I bought at WalMart.". Oh, and the price needs to be reasonable to procurement departments without seeming cheap while being easily supported by IT.

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Understand that the 640 is for the business market which differs from the customer side. It needed functionality for business communications in the enterprise first and foremost. You don't need a ton of power when plugging into a MS based enterprise, you just need good connections to key entry points. Other than that, a little flair to say, "this isn't my kids phone I bought at WalMart.". Oh, and the price needs to be reasonable to procurement departments without seeming cheap while being easily supported by IT.

Sorry, what? Please define what makes the 640 "for the business market" and what "functionality for business communications in the enterprise" it has over other WP devices.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
You can get Snapdragon 410 chip as low as 10$, and by this Snapdragon 412 will be around 14$, Snapdragon 415 around 24$ and even Snapdragon 425 would be around 30$ (Totally my assumption except that a Snapdragon 410 chip costs exactly about 10$).
And, Snapdragon 425 seems to be rebranded Snapdragon 616, and that would to be top of SOC choice for a budget end device, wish if Lumia 650 came with Snapdragon 425 out of the trends.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard