Live Tiles do not update

Chandra84

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I know this question has been posted and discussed a few times - so, I apologize in advance for being a little rhetoric. I ask again I have not been able to find a solution.

The live tiles on my L920 stopped updating a few months back (~5-6). This impacts all applications that have a live tiles/wallpapers - including Weather Flow, Bing Apps, Stock Apps, News apps, etc. In other words, the live tiles/wallpapers never update after the first time. Please note that my notifications DO work (i.e. Whatsapp, Email, Messages etc.)

I have tried everything short of resetting my phone to factory setting - soft reset, restart, reinstallation of apps, and making sure that the number of background tasks is less than the OS mandate. In a final attempt, I took the logs from my Weather Flow application and sent it to the developer. They were kind enough respond, and here is what they had to say (below).

"Hi ,

thank you for your email. We are very happy that you are using Weather Flow.

Checking your log it seems like that the background agent runs less time than it should be. Background agent runs only, if the phone battery is not close to the lowest level.
This problem can also occur if the mobile device does not have continuous internet connection, or maybe there is only internet access when the mobile device is connected to WiFi.
We recommend you to re-install the application.
Please feel free to contact us in case of more questions.
I hope that I could help.
"

Any thoughts, suggestions? I am trying to avoid having to Restore my Phone to Factory Settings.

Appreciate any expertise.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
In background tasks you want all those that you want to be live are not blocked ever and if your battery saver is full on most won't update

don't mean to be patronizing but make sure of the above :wink:

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Let's just hope GDR3 fix this issue forever. Live Tile hasn't been reliable since WP7 days. It is ridiculous for MS take this long to fix this issue.
If you are on GDR2 or earlier, there is no known sure fire solution. Ultimately it is an OS bug. Last time I heard, they are looking into it.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Check out the comments/suggestions by Mr. Brown and myself in this thread:

Live tiles dead

Basically it's most likely too many background agents running. (Some apps can have agents running and you may not see them in the 'background tasks' settings screen) I'd advise opening all your apps and checking their respective settings to disable Live Tiles, and other background agent/tasks there on top of blocking unwanted apps in the background tasks settings. Also keep a count of how many apps have background tasks running. More than 15 seems to be the spot where people start having troubles. Good luck.

tdb1

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you fwaits! I had given up trying to get my live tiles working again on my L920 after trying various solutions proposed in the forums. I stumbled across this thread and tried the solution - going into the apps themselves and disabling live tiles for apps that I don't want the live tile. My remaining live tiles all came back to life. Thanks for this!! Anybody with live tile issues should try this out.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Thank you fwaits! I had given up trying to get my live tiles working again on my L920 after trying various solutions proposed in the forums. I stumbled across this thread and tried the solution - going into the apps themselves and disabling live tiles for apps that I don't want the live tile. My remaining live tiles all came back to life. Thanks for this!! Anybody with live tile issues should try this out.

Awesome, glad to hear it helped you too. The core issue seems to be that the system just can't run too many tasks at once or it gets borked. And to further compound it, no one knows that limit, nor fully understands that apps can have tasks running even though the app isn't listed in the background tasks settings list (or is under advanced which you can't block from there) so your only recourse is to disable directly in the app if they have a toggle. I've seen apps that don't even have that and are enabled just by being installed and don't let you block them in any form. MS needs to sort this out sdo the user doesn't have to think about managing this. At most the background tasks list should be all you need to manage and there should be clear direction if and when you are reaching a limit of some kind so the user knows they need to take action.

DustyTrailhead

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I can't remember when Live Tiles worked on my 920, currently GDR2/Amber. Tried to disable all background tasks with the check box for just 3 apps. I had Weather Flow and App Social installed--problem apps called out in other Live Tile posts--but they're long gone. Thought GDR2 would be the cure all, but SOS. I have been searching the web for the definitive cure but have only found alchemy. Microsoft is surprisingly mute, given that Live Tiles is a defining feature of the OS. I have had my phone for a year. The longer I use it, the more I want updating tiles. I reset the phone once because I used the wrong account name to setup. It was painful, and I won't do it again, shouldn't have to. I'll let the next owner. What's next? My first smartphone was iPhone, but when I saw the hardware selection and UI, I knew WP8 was the one for me. Well, I might go wait in line at AT&T to see if they can help with Live Tiles before I consider Android.

DustyTrailhead

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I am a liar. Just after I posted I DID reset the phone (I really don't want to go Android). And......it bricked. Spent 2 hours looking for the software to reflash (and cursing MS and Nokia). I found Nokia Software Updater for Retail 4.1.0 at http://jkorondy.com/Lumia920: Install and run the software, plug the phone in, and boot it twice. It's fairly easy.
It flashed with GDR2/Amber, so no update required. It took some time to redo acct info, BUT Live Tiles LIVE!!!! That Nexus 5 looks good, but I think I'll keep my WP.
BTW, jkorondy asks for a donation. He got a bigger one from than had he demanded a "ransom". I am very satisfied.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)