Live tiles not updating

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I've posted on a couple other threads about this. Something bigger must be going on. This has been really widespread since portico. literally NONE of my live tiles are updating as they are supposed to. Amazing Weather HD, the ME tile, WP Central. Nothing. I have tried everything suggested and nothing has worked yet. Have any of the previous posters that found a solution had a relapse yet? Did your solution work for multiple days without question? Hit us back. There are a lot of people out here that are at a complete loss over, arguably, the most important feature of the phone. Oh great and wise WPC community, hear our prayers! Also, MS....get your poop together!

Edit:
Can anyone confirm that factory reset actually fixes the problem for good? I won't even entertain the option unless it's going to work.

Only happened once to me and this is what fixed it for me.
What fixed the problem for me was going into background tasks and disabling all live tiles I have active - but selecting to reactivate when reopening the app.
Then opened each app I wanted on the live tile, and it has updated/worked ever since.

Cerif27

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Update on my continued investigation.

The got updates back. I followed the MS recommendation to the letter. Unpin, uninstall, clear ie history, hard reset (not factory reset), reinstall, repin. This got it working. I hadn't done it in this order yet. Worked all day.

Then I had a bluetooth/xbox music related complete lockup. Hard reset and now nothing is updating again. Had no lockups like this before portico. Just jumped through all the same hoops as before (the MS solution). Waiting for it to start updating again. So much more stable before the "update". Displeased.

I'll get back on if the MS solution works a second time.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Ok. Update on my continued investigation.

The got updates back. I followed the MS recommendation to the letter. Unpin, uninstall, clear ie history, hard reset (not factory reset), reinstall, repin. This got it working. I hadn't done it in this order yet. Worked all day.

Then I had a bluetooth/xbox music related complete lockup. Hard reset and now nothing is updating again. Had no lockups like this before portico. Just jumped through all the same hoops as before (the MS solution). Waiting for it to start updating again. So much more stable before the "update". Displeased.

I'll get back on if the MS solution works a second time.
Factory reset = hard reset. What you did is a soft reset.

Cerif27

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Sorry. Hardware tech on my off days. Assumed it was the phone version of a hard reboot. Since it kinda is.

Update: worked a second time. Now to figure out what the heck is locking my phone and causing this. Anyone seen know THE thread to jump to for Bluetooth lockups? Half the time little guy will lock up the moment I press play after disconnecting from a Bluetooth speaker. Seems to happen about once every other day. SOFT reset gets it back, but it kills updating tiles.

Anyone else notice their problem start after a lockup and subsequent reset?

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Getting proper miffed (yes miffed is a new word :) )
Got background task after background task (met office, locksider, others) all saying blocked with "start on next open" checked. Do they start on next open? NO!!! These things are so random its starting to really annoy me now!!! Argggghhh. Love these phones and O/S but come on ffs.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Getting proper miffed (yes miffed is a new word :) )
Got background task after background task (met office, locksider, others) all saying blocked with "start on next open" checked. Do they start on next open? NO!!! These things are so random its starting to really annoy me now!!! Argggghhh. Love these phones and O/S but come on ffs.
It depends on what the background task is. Some of them are ONLY used for lockscreen updating or some other feature other than Live Tiles, like Facebook that has a background task that is only used for the lockscreen background image, so if you aren't using the feature that requires the background task, it will stay blocked until you enable that feature. Unfortunately, the item has to be unblocked to see what the background task is actually used for. If they aren't unblocking, it is likely related to this...

Tezler

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I realize that but nothng changes with these apps. The locksider app is still set to change wallpaper every 4 hours. Even been in and changed around settings. Nothing makes it active!! Same with met office! Thing is when installed said active, now blocked and wont start. Live tile useless as a result!! bad experience with Facebook app notifications too!! And I've witnessed background apps flick to and from the advanced options of background tasks. Not sure that's normal either. Never had all tiles working!! Only done soft resets. Maybe hard one required.

kcpr_raffaEl

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi all!

My first post here...

I've got the same problem with HTC Windows Phone 8S.

I did soft reset - bu I'm not sure if I did it correctly - cause nothing special except restart took a place.

No effect after all this (unpin, uninstall, etc, etc).

So - could anybody tell me how to soft reset HTC WP 8S correctly? Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

But I'm writing cause I've discovered that ALWAYS when I turn on WiFi, my battery status tile immediatelly updates, and remains "live" till I turn off WiFi.

I'm 100% sure that no data are sent and received thru WiFi - just turning it on in phone "activates" live tiles.
But I don't want to have WiFi always on, cause it drains my battery...

Did you noticed the same? Maybe this is a clue...

Greetings,
raffaEl

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I am now getting this issue after a hard reset in an attempt to clear 'other' storage (didn't work btw). So double whammy. Never had a problem with live tiles before and now all of the them fail to update. Uninstalled and reinstalled all apps, turned off background and opened the apps to switch on, rebooted etc etc etc. No joy. Worst week I've ever had with my phone. Starting to lose the faith a little if I'm honest.

kcpr_raffaEl

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Even Hard Reset - total clear of everything and reinstall all apps didn't helped.

I've got "Dead Tiles (TM) (C) 2013 Microsoft" ;)

I can't believe it! This system is in Beta stage...

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Even Hard Reset - total clear of everything and reinstall all apps didn't helped.

I've got "Dead Tiles (TM) (C) 2013 Microsoft" ;)

I can't believe it! This system is in Beta stage...

Same here! Tried all the tricks described in this thread. NO LUCK.
In addition to random freeze and reboots, no apps update notification (I have to manually check) - I now got another one: DEAD Tiles. WTF Microsoft? :angry:

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine also started to have this problem recently, where my weather, calendar app (not native) and battery app wont update on its own unless I open the apps, this include the lock screen too! I'm gonna try deleting ie history and soft reset see if it helps at all.

anon(5348413)

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Most of mine have never worked. I have like 4 apps that are supposed to have live tiles, but they don't work. The weather app i have is the only live tile that works.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Just power of the phone - fully. Wait about 60 secs, then power on again. Everything should work now. I had these issues, solved it with the basics :D

zoolkhan

May 27, 2013
Visit site
it doesnt. broken live tile updating issue is a major problem on the OS, and most people who bother to post about it - had rebooted their phones before posting anyhow... its what we all do with any problem in any windows "reboot"...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
downloadtorose