Losing Apps?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey, 810 owners, I've got a question. If I download 8.1 via the developer's preview to my 810, will I lose any apps? I ask this because I know I have at least one app that's no longer published on that phone. It's a game and not a big deal, but I'm just wondering. Don't really want to lose that game but ahh, I can survive if I lose it. :winktongue: Thinking seriously about taking a crack at getting 8.1 on my 810 sometime this weekend.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Nope, not me. Up until I checked out the Preview page, I was too chicken to even entertain the idea! I think I'm going to give this a try for sure either tomorrow, Saturday or Sunday. What really makes me want to do it is that I can move apps to the SD card, which would be nice - even though I no longer use my 810. I've been holding onto it to possibly hand down to my mother at some point because I have three Windows Phones in all. :smile:

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Nope, not me. Up until I checked out the Preview page, I was too chicken to even entertain the idea! I think I'm going to give this a try for sure either tomorrow, Saturday or Sunday. What really makes me want to do it is that I can move apps to the SD card, which would be nice - even though I no longer use my 810. I've been holding onto it to possibly hand down to my mother at some point because I have three Windows Phones in all. :smile:

:excited: great idea , you can try windows phone 8.1 on your backup phone and if you are satisfied with windows phone 8.1 give it to your mum :smile:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah, I knew that. I'll only do a hard reset if I pass the phone on to my mother, but for the moment, it's one of my toys as I'm installing 8.1 on it as we speak. :smile:

And your apps don't get stored on the cloud- if you go to the store and look at history you'll see them installing from there and come to think of it after I installed GDR3 via the Preview for Developers app some apps didn't reinstall because they were no longer published and I didn't do a hard reset.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
And your apps don't get stored on the cloud- if you go to the store and look at history you'll see them installing from there and come to think of it after I installed GDR3 via the Preview for Developers app some apps didn't reinstall because they were no longer published and I didn't do a hard reset.

That happened to my friend with a few of her apps when she set up her 925 recently. Most of those were apps she used on her 710, though. I did manage to keep the one app I had in mind when I installed 8.1 on my 810 earlier.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
That happened to my friend with a few of her apps when she set up her 925 recently. Most of those were apps she used on her 710, though. I did manage to keep the one app I had in mind when I installed 8.1 on my 810 earlier.

So how do you like 8.1 ? I think I'm waiting for the bugs to be worked out before I take the plunge _"An update is ready to download" is just sitting until then.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
So how do you like 8.1 ? I think I'm waiting for the bugs to be worked out before I take the plunge _"An update is ready to download" is just sitting until then.

I haven't really played around with it much yet, but it seems pretty cool. Managed to move apps to the SD card and added a photo for the background of the Home screen. I do think the small tiles are a bit ridiculous though. Most of my tiles are medium.

Is it just me, or is Wi-Fi now always on? I was doing a few things that required Wi-Fi with the phone unplugged from the charger and it seemed stuff was working when I was away from it for a long time.

I'm definitely not going to install 8.1 on my 920 or 925 yet. I'll wait for the official release to do those. Or maybe I'll keep one of those phones on 8. I'll see.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I haven't really played around with it much yet, but it seems pretty cool. Managed to move apps to the SD card and added a photo for the background of the Home screen. I do think the small tiles are a bit ridiculous though. Most of my tiles are medium.

Is it just me, or is Wi-Fi now always on? I was doing a few things that required Wi-Fi with the phone unplugged from the charger and it seemed stuff was working when I was away from it for a long time.

I'm definitely not going to install 8.1 on my 920 or 925 yet. I'll wait for the official release to do those. Or maybe I'll keep one of those phones on 8. I'll see.
YAY you have wp8.1 :D
you should keep your 810 and play with it :p
yes , wifi is always turned on and there is not setting to disable that :( and turn of Wi-Fi-sense , its a huge battery hog.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
If Wi-Fi is on all the time and Wi-Fi isn't available ( like driving on a long trip) battery is gonna go bust. What IDI OT thought that was a good idea, someone who never goes out I guess I.E. a geek :cool:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
If Wi-Fi is on all the time and Wi-Fi isn't available ( like driving on a long trip) battery is gonna go bust. What IDI OT thought that was a good idea, someone who never goes out I guess I.E. a geek :cool:

Yeah the hardware is still enabled unless its turned off in settings but all Wi-Fi adapters support something called low power state on stand by which helps in lowering the power consumption to very low rates. After the adapter does not find any known Wi-Fi networks it switches back to the low power state and only performs timely scans for known Wi-Fi networks in its vicinity. Same is the case with all ultra low power devices and that's how it should be, but yes having that option to turn off Wi-Fi after screen timeout would have helped a bit

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
OP: 8.1 experience on the 810 is actually better for me when compared to my Rogers 920. Battery life is great so far on standby or minimal use and moving apps to the SD card is a welcome addition, wish the 925 had an SD card then i would have still kept it

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
YAY you have wp8.1 :D
you should keep your 810 and play with it :p
yes , wifi is always turned on and there is not setting to disable that :( and turn of Wi-Fi-sense , its a huge battery hog.

Thanks for that tip. I noticed Wi-Fi Sense but didn't check it out until now. I noticed that since I turned the 810 on less than an hour ago, it went from 100% to 94% fairly quickly.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Then you spoke incorrectly, or not specifically "wifi is always turned on and there is not setting to disable that"
and your turn something OFF not of :wink: but I'm guessing that English isn't your first language.

English isn't my native language , auto correct sometimes help me here hehe :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05