Lumia 1020 Auto Focus Malfunction

Michael Glasser

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
When I start any camera app on my Lumia 1020 the picture is blurry if I'm pointing the camera at anything over 6 inches away or so. When I push the camera button in it attempts to focus. Sometimes it will focus on distant objects the way it should, but most of the time it does not and everything stays blurry. This happened after receiving the latest update(not sure what update version). I've tried reinstalling Nokia Cam but it does not fix the problem. I haven't tried resetting to factory setting yet because I do not wish to have to redo everything on the phone. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
If this has been going on since you bought it or soon after, I would get it replaced. THE CAMERA is the 1020, without it it's just another Lumia,
the other alternative is the dreaded factory reset.

Ali Assaedi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
are u using, the default WP camera app?
or nokia pro camera?
or nokia camera?

which ever app ur using, try to go to settings, and "reset defaults"..

because ur describing a camera setting==> "macro shots"

alihansayin

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have lumia 1020 and same problem with me too. My wife has lumia 920 and when i compare them. lumia 920 focusing more better and more closer than lumia 1020. I think so some hardware or software problem with 1020.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If you need to shoot something close, use the macro option, also with the Nokia camera you dont need to get up as close as you think do because of the "reframing". Everyone really needs to learn their phone and not just think its broken or has bad software.

Michael Glasser

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I've tried Nokia Camera and the built in Camera app, both with the same issue.
I've also tried resetting both apps to defaults to see if it would fix the problem also without success.
I've also made sure that the camera is on auto focus and not macro mode.
The camera has worked flawlessly since it was purchased which was about a month after its release and just started acting oddly after the latest update

I'm thinking either I'll have to do a factory reset, which is unfortunate, or I'll have to flash the phone using Nokia Software Suite which I had to do to a Lumia 920 after GDR2 update caused issues with it.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have lumia 1020 and same problem with me too. My wife has lumia 920 and when i compare them. lumia 920 focusing more better and more closer than lumia 1020. I think so some hardware or software problem with 1020.
That's because of the focal length of the Lumia 1020 lens. Doesn't mean it is inferior-it just isn't suited to close up macros as the 920

alihansayin

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
That's because of the focal length of the Lumia 1020 lens. Doesn't mean it is inferior-it just isn't suited to close up macros as the 920

I mean i can take clear photo with 920 very closer without macro mode but same distance with 1020 its not possible. photo is blurry.

Michael Glasser

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
So I just reset the phone to factory defaults and flashed it using Nokia Software Updater and the camera still has problems focusing on distant objects... Guess it's fairly safe to say it's hardware related.

Agustin Berisso

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem as you. Can't focus on anything over 10cm away. I've tried with both camera apps and all the different focus settings but I haven't been able to take one single shot on focus. Seems to be a hardware problem :(.

edoug

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
(Assuming you're in the US) what a lousy time to have that happen, the day of the biggest family holiday of the year!

Michael Glasser

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem as you. Can't focus on anything over 10cm away. I've tried with both camera apps and all the different focus settings but I haven't been able to take one single shot on focus. Seems to be a hardware problem :(.

Yep, that sounds nearly the same as my problem except it will sometimes focus on distant objects after about 4 tries. Really unfortunate that someone else has this problem. Have you dropped the phone at all?

Dxe316

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same Focusing issue on my Lumia 1020 after updating to Update3+Black.

I have tried both the Built-In Camera App & Nokia Camera and both will be focusing on something around 6 inches away.
I can manually change it but generally my pictures are coming out blurry and to be honest, its an embarrassment to have the Lumia 1020 and take awful pictures.

I am glad I am not the only one who is having a problem with this, but I'm sad that Nokia cant push out a single update (Amber & Black) without cause some awful glitch to their devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo