Lumia 1020 photo upload still broken in Cyan!

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Prior to W8.1 the Lumia 1020 uploaded the 5mp oversampled images. The 8.1 Developer Preview broke that and caused the Lumia 1020 to upload the full size images and under the "pro" title rather than the proper "high res" title. I hoped Cyan would fix this, but it didn't! Currently there is no way to auto-upload the 5mp pictures which are for me far more useful and manageable. I am very disappointed in Microsoft/Nokia.

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I hate this as well, but it's been known for a while that this was an intentional change and not a bug.

Still, there's no reason I'd want the poorly framed original as opposed to the better composed slightly zoomed versions. Making the high-resolution version upload means that I have to do the same work in cropping not just when taking the photo but again when looking at it on the PC. I end up with a ton of useless images on my Onedrive Camera Roll because of this change.

Really, they just need to add another option to camera settings, where under "Best quality" it would ask if we wanted to store the 5MP or the 41MP versions... and before anyone says to use it "Good quality" affects JPEG compression and still doesn't use the 5MP versions.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I hate this as well, but it's been known for a while that this was an intentional change and not a bug.
Are you sure it is intentional and not a bug? If it was intentional, why does it upload under the wrong file tag? It uploads using the same titles as the 5mp picks instead of the "high res" naming system that the full size pictures have on the phone. Also, I think it doesn't upload the reframe pictures but instead uploads a duplicate unchanged full-size photo (I haven't tested if this is still the case post cyan).Either way, the uploading is really odd: naming, sizes, sharing, reframing... they all seem a little off, as thought the OS doesn't know how to handle the dual capture and Nokia edits.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
If it is intentional it is certainly very foolish. That's alot of bandwidth and alot of OneDrive space. For many people it could be prohibitive.

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
A simple settings option would solve this. I personally like the 5mp version being uploaded because I would commonly take photos then go right to the computer and onedrive to share them or send them. Just add the option and it will be fine.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
A simple settings option would solve this. I personally like the 5mp version being uploaded because I would commonly take photos then go right to the computer and onedrive to share them or send them. Just add the option and it will be fine.

Exactly what I want, an option. For what it's worth, I made a post about it on the Lumia Beta Apps Uservoice, even though I think it's probably more the OS itself that is the problem: https://lumiabetaapps.uservoice.com...305846-option-for-5mp-images-to-onedrive-1020

wganz

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree. This really stinks. I read this was coming (in dev preview) however hoped they would have an option or something with Cyan. Looks like I'll be using a cable until this is fixed.

wganz

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Figured I'd throw my work around out there for this in case anyone is interested. I went ahead and installed the Dropbox app "CloudSix for Dropbox" by Rudy Huyn (a great winphone dev). This app auto uploads pictures (the oversampled ones) when connected to WIFI, charging, and 90% power. You can also simply push the sync button on the app and it will instantly upload to Dropbox. I then disabled the OneDrive upload for pics, left videos turned on. I have a small script on my PC that is scheduled to run every 15 minutes that moves the pictures from Dropbox to OneDrive. And that's basically it.

Note - I haven't looked too much, but I bet there is a "recipe" on ifttt.com that does the move from Dropbox to OneDrive, eliminating the small script I run on my PC.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
**Disclaimer: the following is a rant; I am serious but I am also venting...I know it's just a phone and I know I can buy whatever I want**

Ugh, I think I am going to switch to iPhone. Here I am, with the 'top camera phone' and the great oversampled 5mp pictures that I can take cannot be uploaded to Onedrive automatically NOR can they be emailed at full resolution! Basically, unless I attach my phone to my computer they are stuck on there. That is ridiculous. My brother laughs at my frustration and shows me how his iPhone offers him a choice of how to email photos (full resolution, or reduced etc). Why does no one at Nokia/Microsoft get it? Why do I bother with a phone with a huge camera-bulge and slow shot times if I can only email low quality (300kb) versions of the pictures anyway?

antodelg

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
It is not intentional (at least this is what Nokia support told me). It seems the problem is that WP 8.1 gallery can't handle the "dual capture system" properly.

(if you use the DNG option, the autosync system uploads the 5 mp oversampled pic, but with the filename of the RAW xD)

I use the app "Camera Roll sync" to upload the 5 MP pics to Onedrive while Nokia/MS doesn't fix this...

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
It is not intentional (at least this is what Nokia support told me). It seems the problem is that WP 8.1 gallery can't handle the "dual capture system" properly.

(if you use the DNG option, the autosync system uploads the 5 mp oversampled pic, but with the filename of the RAW xD)

I use the app "Camera Roll sync" to upload the 5 MP pics to Onedrive while Nokia/MS doesn't fix this...

So if I use the DNG option the 5mp picks will be uploaded, but how does that DNG setting affect the camera? Does it affect speed, reframing or anything else?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
So if I use the DNG option the 5mp picks will be uploaded, but how does that DNG setting affect the camera? Does it affect speed, reframing or anything else?

If you use the DNG option, files will be enormous (~30 MB I believe), and any zoomed/reframed photos will not use the high-resolution original but will all be crops of the 5MP version.

antodelg

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
About 30~40 MB, and you cannot handle the DNG (raw) files from the smartphone (no zoom), only from PC.

The DNG file has all the sensor data stored.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb