Lumia 520, 720, 820, 920, 1020, 1320 (x20 series) Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Did you get that from Wikipedia? That can't be trusted lol.

And even if it could, it has already been changed to:

Mainstream support until October 13, 2020, Extended support until October 14, 2025.

The truth is, no one really knows.

But here's a thought with in few years MS is gonna perfect the stability then they will add some more features probably resource intensive ones. The update will then not enitrely support current flagships coz of the same reasons as of now. So irrespective of the name of the OS people are gonna feel left out atleast with some features. And thats no big deal as they have access to the same store. And at some point they will make drastic changes to the base mobile OS as an attempt to further make it desktop like. The problem with MS is the actual cumulative updates are so slow that a device would be just relevant enough to get an update in its lifetime.

Peribanu

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
You can choose between Slow and Release, Production is for getting out Insider program. Today, both Slow and Release has the same build 10586.164 released to the masses, and we are standing by new maybe on fist week in April
Strange, when I updated my 1020 from 8.1 to 10 .164 a couple of days ago, I chose "production ring", and it straight away started installing .107 then after updates .164. So I don't think Production ring is for "getting out", or rather, it gets you out but only after updating to the latest W10M production ring. I can confirm that after update to .164, Windows Insider no longer shows me as enrolled in the Insider programme. So, the effect of choosing Production Ring, for me, was the same as installing the Upgrade Advisor on a non-x2x phone.

EDIT: Apologies, it wasn't "Production Ring" I chose, it was "Release Preview". There is a lot of confusion between these terms on this forum.

Last edited:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I was just reading over in the Redstone Build (bugs) thread .. those folks better be careful before msft decides that their phones aren't capable enough to run Windows 10 Mobile, from 'all the bad feedback'. (ha ha I couldn't help myself). No issue, it just struck me funny. :)

I DON'T put Redstone on my 650 till I'll see it in Prerelease. The Hard reset bug is the first stop for me

mvierling

May 19, 2008
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520, 720, 920, 1020, 1320 Owners

What I see these days (maybe this does not apply directly to you) is a lot of people with old phones that were going to the competition anyway and just needed a reason to justify themselves. I mean, if you really enjoyed and wanted to stay you would probably upgrade 3 years old models anyway (you don't keep a phone longer than 3 years on other platforms either) so what is happening clearly is:

-people fed up with windows using this excuse to leave the platform and upgrade their old phones to a new platform
-people still interested in windows using this excuse to upgrade their old phones to a new windows phone

People kept their 1020 for 3 years because there was nothing better on Windows Mobile. The cheap looking 950 doesn't cut it. I myself have since switched to Android after being on Windows since the Windows Mobile 5 days. I occasionally pull out my 1020 to see if there is any improvement on apps, and of course there hasn't been. Excluding half of your user base is not how you treat your fans or help promote or grow your product. You think Apple would ever exclude 3 year old phones from their updates? Not a chance.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
The 950 runs rings around the 1020. The 1020 takes a great photo but in day to day use the 950 is much better.

The 950 has a much better screen, it is faster. I have stuck a 128GB microSD card in mine.

The 1020 is a beautiful bit of kit but technology moves on.

Sure the will be new hardware that comes out that the newer builds will take advantage of that will not be available to current 950 users but that is life.

Last edited:

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
But here's a thought with in few years MS is gonna perfect the stability then they will add some more features probably resource intensive ones. The update will then not enitrely support current flagships coz of the same reasons as of now. So irrespective of the name of the OS people are gonna feel left out atleast with some features. And thats no big deal as they have access to the same store. And at some point they will make drastic changes to the base mobile OS as an attempt to further make it desktop like. The problem with MS is the actual cumulative updates are so slow that a device would be just relevant enough to get an update in its lifetime.

Actually I don't think that Windows 10 will be the last OS. In a few years I think Microsoft will announce some new OS (maybe Windows 11, maybe Windows Final, maybe XBOX for PC or maybe some other name that a bunch of suits in a boardroom deem "cool") and Windows 10 will be left in the dust.

My point was that no one actually knows when that will happen. Not one person.

justmoe40

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
no **** lol. new phones tend to do that. but not everyone can update hardware often nor do they want to. my 1020 has handled every preview release without issue.

erictrinh276

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I was just reading over in the Redstone Build (bugs) thread .. those folks better be careful before msft decides that their phones aren't capable enough to run Windows 10 Mobile, from 'all the bad feedback'. (ha ha I couldn't help myself). No issue, it just struck me funny. :)

don't worry my friend
those folks are "rich" and could buy 1 flagship phone every year

erictrinh276

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Actually I don't think that Windows 10 will be the last OS. In a few years I think Microsoft will announce some new OS (maybe Windows 11, maybe Windows Final, maybe XBOX for PC or maybe some other name that a bunch of suits in a boardroom deem "cool") and Windows 10 will be left in the dust.

My point was that no one actually knows when that will happen. Not one person.

M$ change their plans more often than a woman changes her opinions of where to eat out for a dinner

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I have two 920s. After 4yrs, do not care that it is no longer supported. However, not a fan of the 950/XL and I keep waiting for news on the Surface Phone

mmyers750

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Can't say I'm too upset. Still use my 920 for some stuff just on WiFi, and it's frankly more stable than my 950. Love the features of W10 and love the hardware of my 950. But the experience still leaves something to be desired. 920 still plugs away.

microsoft111

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I love the camera on 1020. I would still have it if I didn't break it. 950 is awesome just wish it had as good a camera. :)

Plan on getting Surface phone day of release. Hoping what I read it true that it's actually going to run Window 10 PC OS so every app you could want would be availible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria