Lumia 520 downloads 'demo update' after 4 month of use?

Mike Dominski

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
new here. loved windows phone for a couple years now, but this is my first issue with one.

Bought a 520 from a coworker a few months ago, we both had it on H20s unlimited plan. worked great for both of us. i get the developer preview for 8.1. and then the folder tiles update. used it for a few weeks no issues right there. I finally get around to ordering a 1020, the phone i really wanted, and i sell the 520 to a coworker who was pretty interested in switching to the windows os. keep in mind that he is on a contract account with At&t. i set the phone up for him, everything worked fine, we both think its good. That very same night the phone automatically downloads and installs an update called demo mode. and ever since then it basically acts like a phone you would walk into at&t and it would be set up to just play with. It litterally cant do anything. i tried a factory reset and in place of the reset phone button is a button that says "check for demo updates". Tried hard reseting the phone still the same demo os. every time i plug it in to charge it does some crazy animation thing with different colored tiles and stuff. its basically just a showroom phone now. you get the idea

my question to you guys is if i replaced the motherboard would it be good to go? or would it retort back to this mode that is pretty useless becuase some stupid jerk sold a demo phone from craigslist and let the public get ahold of it.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Flash it to a non demo firmware and it should revert back to a retail version. First of all, a demo firmware/update won't install unless the phone was running a demo firmware since the beginning.

Mike Dominski

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i used the tool and the phone is working like it did when i had it. i turned off automatic updates and gave it back to him. hopefully it doesnt download the demo update again. ill let you know if it does

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99