Lumia 640 Case & Cover Thread

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
That was almost poetic. And sad.

Beautiful Rubbish... :(

I feel for you my brother in mantis arms. Especially since it was a gift/present from the waifu. Dont let the pretty lady know okay. Or she'll feel bad about something she got for you with so much love man. :'(

-- W

FourTonMantis

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately we were together when I noticed the first crack and I couldn't hide it. Anyway, she knows I appreciate her effort and that's more important for us :)
I didn't mean to turn this into a personal drama thing, I just wanted to let others know that these covers may not worth the money they cost and the effort to search and get them. I suspect that this may be one of the reasons which led to pulling these covers from production.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately we were together when I noticed the first crack and I couldn't hide it. Anyway, she knows I appreciate her effort and that's more important for us :)
I didn't mean to turn this into a personal drama thing, I just wanted to let others know that these covers may not worth the money they cost and the effort to search and get them. I suspect that this may be one of the reasons which led to pulling these covers from production.

Since even the stock 640 covers tend to "wiggle" a bit at one corner (and some people say they creak, but my hearing isn't that good), then they probably have too much movement to handle it. It's a shame, really.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

iPhone conversion kit?

I've skimmed this thread to see what my options are for a case for my 640 and most look pretty bad. Some are somewhat passable but since the Lumia 640 is such a nice and stylish device (especially in cyan and orange) it's really a crime to cover it up with some cheap rubber or plastic. When you factor in the insanely low price you can get one for nowadays it just becomes overkill. Better to spend the money on the real OEM shells (black/white/cyan/orange), if you can find them. Most out there are cheaply made fakes.

phuqit

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I've bought oem flip covers for mine in orange and cyan. Got them from china on e-bay and they work very well. They offer good screen protection while adding minimum bulk, and they look good. I have added a tempered glass screen protector just to be safe.

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Funny you should say that, last July I bought what were advertised as OEM orange and cyan rear shells on eBay from China. It took shy of 30 days to reach my letter box. Unfortunately it turned out that both shells were duds. The orange shell's buttons were flush with the edge (not raised like it's supposed to be) therefore making it difficult to press or even feel. The cyan shell was rough, unfinished and a fraction too small.

On August 17 and 21, I bought another set of orange and cyan shells from a European eBay seller who was recommended in this thread. I also bought another cyan shell from a different seller in China recommended on Reddit. It's been nearly a month now and neither have turned up within the estimated delivery window. One of them was supposed to be delivered via international express post. Tracking for both items ceased on August 26 and 31 when apparently they entered the country.

I'll update this thread in the possibly unlikely event the shells turn up in the next few days or week.

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Apologies for the double post.

I'll update this thread in the possibly unlikely event the shells turn up in the next few days or week.

Ha!

Today I received the cyan shell ordered on August 17 and guess what? ANOTHER dud! Like the first cyan shell I got, it's rough, unfinished and not glossy either, however the logo is not faded (albeit printed imprecisely) and it actually fits. It could be a mix up; the seller offered original and replica models. I could return it but I would have to pay for postage and wait another month for a refund. Bugger that.

For future reference: DO NOT buy Lumia 640 shells from av-rf and xiong535!

I bought a white shell from littlebee999 and it's 99.9% legit. I'm guessing it's surplus or rejected stock from the OEM. Recommended.

On August 21, I bought another set of orange and cyan shells from a European eBay seller who was recommended in this thread.

Here and here. Fingers crossed they're the real deal.

EDIT Sep. 16:
I initiated a return/refund correspondence with av-rf who first offered a 50% refund no return. I replied back asking for a 100% refund and offered not to return the dodgy shell; they agreed. Win-win!

Last edited:

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Apologies for the triple post. This is the final in the series.

Here and here. Fingers crossed they're the real deal.

Got the shells today and surprise, surprise... duds. The eBay title and description for both shells are labelled as genuine OEM and glossy. They are neither. They have a matte finish, not accurate to the product photo and are clearly counterfeits. I've submitted a return/refund correspondence with the seller and I'll push for a 100% refund. I'll edit this post when everything is sorted out.

WARNING: DO NOT buy Lumia 640 shells from 2014yanzi868!

Next stop: fonejoy.com. Here's hoping this and this are the real deal. I might as well just fork out the extra moolah for express postage because it's ridiculous waiting a month.

EDIT: Got a full refund for both shells.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You got me worried now. lol They good or not?

I don't know. It's just that you've gone through so many, and very patiently, that I want you to get a good one.

When I had my 640 I got both of these and was super happy with them. Fit and button action was just like the OEM cover. The colors matched Lumia green and orange exactly.
GH Green Battery Back Door Cover Case Screen for Microsoft Lumia 640 | eBay
https://www.amazon.com/Housing-Batt...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3564594

The superior ones seem to have a nub next to the speaker hole to lift it and let the sound out when laid face up on a table... You can see it on pics of the green one. Pics of the orange one don't show that nub, but it was on the unit I received. Near as I could tell these both came out of the same mold even though the sellers are different.

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Man hope those work out. That is where I was going to order from. I would love to have a orange one for mine.

Edit: Didn't see the link to the orange one on Amazon in the post above. Might give that a shot.

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Man hope those work out. That is where I was going to order from. I would love to have a orange one for mine.

I don't know. It's just that you've gone through so many, and very patiently, that I want you to get a good one.

When I had my 640 I got both of these and was super happy with them. Fit and button action was just like the OEM cover. The colors matched Lumia green and orange exactly.
GH Green Battery Back Door Cover Case Screen for Microsoft Lumia 640 | eBay
https://www.amazon.com/Housing-Batt...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3565204

Thanks guys. :)

Unfortunately, the orange shell doesn't ship to my end of the world.

In the end I bought a couple shells from fonejoy. I was given every assurance it's legit; we'll see in 1-2 weeks.

This morning I got a full refund for the dodgy shells. Props to the seller for coming to the table.

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
The orange and cyan shells I bought last week from fonejoy in the UK was delivered today and *drumroll* it's genuine! No faults, no counterfeit markers, nothing: all legit.

The other great thing is the delivery time. It only took 7 days to travel from the UK to my little corner of Australia. Contrast that with the counterfeit shells I got from China and Spain, which took a lazy month to arrive.

This seemingly never-ending saga is now finally over.

I fully recommend purchasing rear shells for the Lumia 640 from Fonejoy.

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Show us pictures naaoooo!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

-- W
WP_20160929_16_05_19_Pro.jpgWP_20160929_16_05_39_Pro.jpg

As you can see it's 100% authentic.

The other counterfeit shells were matte, unfinished, fractionally smaller meaning that it simply didn't fit, proportionally inaccurate, wrong logo size and style, and even the buttons was flush with the edge on one shell. Some of the indentations and hallmarks were either inaccurate or missing too.

The dodgy thing is that the sellers on eBay use misrepresentative photos and/or low-res images, so there's no real way of telling if they're selling counterfeits or genuine OEM products.

Last edited:

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Out of curiosity Razza, how did you go about deciding that you wanted gloss instead of matter finished back covers my good friend? :)

-- W

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Out of curiosity Razza, how did you go about deciding that you wanted gloss instead of matter finished back covers my good friend? :)

Why did I choose glossy over matte? Because it looks nice. :) And it's the official colours/texture for the 640. I had a matte 520 and own a matte 635, so I wanted something different this time.

I have some counterfeit shells with a matte finish, so I have that option if I choose to.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
big boy in the fridge