Lumia 720 cannot be shut off

NotSafeForWork

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I flashed my Lumia 720 to GDR2/Amber two days ago using the NSU for Retail program and everything works fine and great EXCEPT that I noticed that I cannot turn it off, when I try to shut it down, it turns off only for a second or so then it reboots by itself. I have tried to reflash the phone, but the problem still persists. It really isn't that bothersome, but I want to see if this problem can be fixed.

Anybody know why? I am grateful for any suggestions or solutions :smile:

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I can think of that may cause this is if the phone is connected to a power source which does prevent the phone from being shut down.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried the Volume Down and Power button reset combination? Press and hold both buttons together until the phone vibrates which will then restart. This is a simulated battery pull and is used to clear out any software glitches. Think turning a PC off to clear out the RAM. After this reset try and see if you can shut the phone down now.

If you can't then I'm stumped as to what is causing the problem. Maybe the phone thinks that something is connected to the USB port which is causing it to keep turning itself back on. If so, I reckon it will be software related seeing as the problem started after you flashed the phone.

NotSafeForWork

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I already tried to soft reset several times, but nope, it's still thr same. Maybe the GDR2 update for my specific phone and region is still buggy? I'll try to download and flash again after a week or so. Thanks for your help!

NotSafeForWork

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
After re-downloading the amber firmware, and flashing it again to my phone. It still happens, that rules out flashing errors. So it means that the firmware itself is buggy or my phone is the problem? Can anyone help?

pahaja

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
i have faced that problem. but now the problem is gone.

just long press the power/lock keys until the phone/screen off. and release it.

it looks like a pc, when you just press it shortly it just reboot, to turn off, hold on the power keys until the monitor is off.

NotSafeForWork

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

it looks like a pc, when you just press it shortly it just reboot, to turn off, hold on the power keys until the monitor is off.

Tried it, didn't work.

Saikat Halder

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I am facing the same issue, I am unable to shut it down.

Also, before facing this issue, i faced the issue of jumping screens and going to bing automatically, also I was unable to switch the phone off, when ever I switc it of, it gets restarted.
I am facing a very serious issue with my lumia 720. yesterday suddenly, it started to vibrate. it was in standby mode, with sim n SD card in it. 86% battery was there, since then, 8 hours passed, but the phone is still vibrating. Whether it is on or off. for the last 8 hours it is getting vibrated, continously, tried to make couple of calls, it worked, even the camera worked. PLEASE HELP ME WITH SOLUTION, I HAVE WARRANTY, WHAT SHOULD I DO?? SHOULD I GO TO NOKIA CARE AND ASK FOR REPLACEMENT?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you done a soft reset? Hold Power + Volume Downs keys for about 15 secs and release. Phone should reboot.

Yeah, first thing to try is a soft reset. If your phone continues to vibrate continuously for no reason then definitely take it to a Nokia Care centre

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Facing the same prob. Im new here, i have a 720 phone...its good, but i wonder why after the update, it cant shut off, its restarting, and getting annoyed! I also have issue with battery backup, before it can last a day and 3 hrs, now it shows onky 22 hrs...is something wrong with update? Its very buggy...has anybody contacted MS or Nokia regarding these issues?

Luis C

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I was facing the same problem but here is what it worked for me: did the soft reset, volume down+power button until vibrates. Phone reboots. Then to switch off, just pressed power button until phone shuts off... DO NOT SWITCH OFF SCROLLING DOWN THE LOCK IMAGE.

Luis C

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Try what I posted down below, if doesn't works, do this, press the power down more than 10 seconds, then swipe down the lock image. That should shut off the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soste