Lumia 820 Wireless investment

Gintonic820

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

Is it smart to invest in buying original Lumia 820 Wireless shell + Nokia Wireless charger (Fatboy or DT-900)?

I was thinking spending 75-80$ for both...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

Is it smart to invest in buying original Lumia 820 Wireless shell + Nokia Wireless charger (Fatboy or DT-900)?

I was thinking spending 75-80$ for both...

It's a personal choice really. Do you want to use a wireless charger? It's likely all future phones will be using wireless charging if you plan to stick to WP.

ptrkhh

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend investing in wireless charging for that price. If it costs $10 or $20, I also want it. But for that amount of money, you can get another battery (or even more) with its desk charger. Therefore, you don't have to bother using the phone with cables tingling around. Just swap the battery and continue using as if the phone has unlimited charge.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Swapping batteries is crazy, esp on an 820 where it is difficult. The whole point of wireless charging is that it makes it easy to keep it topped off. $70 isn't too high a price for this imo. But as with everything, only you can decide if it's worth it to YOU.

My only concern is the AT&T situation... seems like they are angling to force us to dump Qi for PMA, and stripping built-in charging out of phones now to do so. This is a move that may force me to go to Verizon for my next phone... so senseless.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
There is another small problem with wireless charging with the 820. I have ordered the back cover to be used in wireless charging for my 820 (which I really like) twice. And have yet to get one. Ordered it from Windows Phone once and never got it. Had to refund my charge on my card. I tried ordering one from Amazon and it has a shipping date of December 30 even though I ordered it in November. I have a feeling I am not going to get it again. I am holding off getting the charger until I get the back cover. But I don't agree about the swapping batteries. No matter how you charge it, smartphone batteries have a limited life span. I have heard its about 300 charges before they start to lose some of the ability to hold a good charge. I've got two spares for my 820. While it is not easy to remove the back cover it is not as difficult as some people say it is. You just have to be carefull. I've done it a dozen or so times with no ill affects. Wireless charging will not make the battery last any longer. I rotate my batteries abut once a month.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Its definitely true that the wireless charge backs are hard to come by in the US. Did you try AT&T? They had lots in stock and by far the best pricing for quite a while... haven't looked lately.

I really wish the WPCentral store would carry Nokia accessories, but they have never replied each time I suggested it. Seems strange to me, given that there is a bit of a hole in the market here... not many carry them.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I got my phone from AT&T and two weeks after I got it (May of this year) I went to two of the company stores in my area (Baton Rouge) to try an get a red back wireless shell. The only Nokia they had extra covers for was the 920, they were nice enough to call the other three company stores in BR to see if they had any; but no cigar. It was only a few months later that they quit carring the 820. Dumb move as that left the AT&T stores in my area with nothing below the 920 for windows phone customers. I always thought and still do that the 820 was the best buy of all the Nokia's (until the 520 came along). But most AT&T stores only have the 520 as a go phone with a go phone sim. Like I said; dumb, dumb, dumb.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb