Lumia 830 on T-Mobile

DaveUK1000

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Folks, before switching to T-Mobile I was a an AT&T customer...that is probably the reason that the AT&T support team were ok with unlocked my Lumia 830 (as I was able to tell them that I was a prior customer and give them my old AT&T phone number for reference). I've heard that they will unlock phones for prepay phone customers too (YMMV) so it might be worth getting a cheap AT&T prepay SIM and then asking them to unlock your Lumia 830.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Folks, before switching to T-Mobile I was a an AT&T customer...that is probably the reason that the AT&T support team were ok with unlocked my Lumia 830 (as I was able to tell them that I was a prior customer and give them my old AT&T phone number for reference). I've heard that they will unlock phones for prepay phone customers too (YMMV) so it might be worth getting a cheap AT&T prepay SIM and then asking them to unlock your Lumia 830.

I just sent you a PM

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I really, really wish TMob would carry this phone already. I went to an ATT store and was comparing it to the M8. The 830 display looked amazing compared to the M8. I was a little worried about the processor as it's the same as my 635, but I've seen several reviews of this device playing some pretty heavy games I wouldn't even try to load on my phone with little to no lag.

NelsonF

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Surprised at Tmobile for not having a more affordable Lumina 830. To be honest, they have the HTC one and they didn't even advertise it initially, more emphasis on the Iphone 6. I do believe there is a market out there for this affordable, kind of, Lumina 830. I was so certain they were going to have this for the holidays. I am still stuck with this 521. Damn me for liking these Lumias. One day I am going to drink the Apple Kool Aid and convert over to the dark side of overpriced, over engineered iPhone 6 devices that I will never fully utilize.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Didn't have it on my 830, read your post and went to store. Installed without a hitch.

Could it be because you have a TM SIM? I have the TM My Account app in my WP Store history but I can't install it to the phone, it has the proverbial "this app is not available for your device.....", perhaps it's because I don't have a TM SIM yet ?

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Could it be because you have a TM SIM? I have the TM My Account app in my WP Store history but I can't install it to the phone, it has the proverbial "this app is not available for your device.....", perhaps it's because I don't have a TM SIM yet ?
I didn't have my TM SIM installed. Just Wi-Fi connection.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Can you explain how they TM did it, did they do something or just connecting to the stores Wi-Fi ? so you have the T Mobile My Account app ?
My TM SIM was in my HTC One. I saw your post, turned on my 830 (auto connect to my Wi-Fi), went to Store, typed in the Store search 'T-mobile', looked through the results and saw 'My Account', clicked install and it installed. That's all I did. Yes My Account app is now installed on my 830. I don't know why you can't get it. :straight:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
My TM SIM was in my HTC One. I saw your post, turned on my 830 (auto connect to my Wi-Fi), went to Store, typed in the Store search 'T-mobile', looked through the results and saw 'My Account', clicked install and it installed. That's all I did. Yes My Account app is now installed on my 830. I don't know why you can't get it. :straight:

My 830 has: Mobile Operator 000-CA(nada)
It's not tied to a carrier in Canada but its made for the Canadian market -that's why my phone won't recognize the T Mobile apps. Funny thing it will recognize My ATT.

Last edited:

IlyaBu

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
My 830 also has operator 000-CA (originally bought from Fido) but the T-Mo My Account app installed and is running just fine.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
My 830 also has operator 000-CA (originally bought from Fido) but the T-Mo My Account app installed and is running just fine.

Wow what the heck is wrong with my phone then, mine was from telus I can't figure out why it won't install.

Last edited:

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think that not possible now; since Verizon introduce their exclusivity clause that is ironclad. AT&T probably use the same language for the 830!

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: In order to install any T Mobile app you first have to connect the phone to T Mobile network with your SIM. After that yes it is correct that you can install T Mobile's MY ACCOUNT via Wi-Fi without a SIM.
That little bit of critical information was missing in replies.

Last edited:

NelsonF

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Something just dawned upon me. I just purchased an RM-985 Lumina 830 to use on my Tmobile plan. What happens when Microsoft upgrades 8.1 to windows 10? Since it's not technically a Tmobile setup phone, will there be problems upgrading? Does the upgrade come from Tmobile? If so, then I'm screwed since Tmobile doesn't seem very Windows phone friendly. Am I wrong about this?

dgrn23

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Something just dawned upon me. I just purchased an RM-985 Lumina 830 to use on my Tmobile plan. What happens when Microsoft upgrades 8.1 to windows 10? Since it's not technically a Tmobile setup phone, will there be problems upgrading? Does the upgrade come from Tmobile? If so, then I'm screwed since Tmobile doesn't seem very Windows phone friendly. Am I wrong about this?

If I'm not mistaken, since you have the rm-985 which is unlocked, you do not have to depend on any windows updates going through Tmobile; because the device is unlocked, you get the update directly.

NelsonF

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Good to know. Judging by the lack of enthusiasm from the staff at the
Tmobile store, the lack of support for any windows phone seems to run the gamut. I asked the rep at the Tmobile store if they had any screen protectors for my lumia 830. HIs reply was "we don't carry accessories for those types of phones". It's tough being a windows phone fan in a world full of Android and iPhone. Microsoft really needs to step up this year and show their commitment to the Nokia line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aisi