Lumia 900 less than 2 days old. BRICKED!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
When your phone does that, it does NOT brick

What people need to do is when they are trying to charge their phone with no juice, hold down the power button while charging so your phone can stop trying to power on. Every windows device does that. Hold down the button for maybe 10-16 mins so it can generate some type of charge so it can power on
Now that sounds like an interesting idea. If my L900 ever does get to 0% this will be the first thing I try.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
The Lumia's battery is not user-accessible.

It is possible to get to it theres I believe a video from the site that disassembles devices and figures out the price of the componnts etc. Looking a video I believe its on you tube you can access the battery.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I have heard that before and maybe it's mind over matter I am not sure. I just like to completely drain my battery after it's first charge and about once every two months (on purpose if it doesn't happen without). It's not that I don't believe you, I understand the logic behind it completely. I just want to make sure that my phone is functional in ANY situation outside of physical damage. Also, mind over matter possibly but I do see improvement in letting the battery completely die then fully re-charging it without unplugging it if you notice a drop in battery power; even with Li-ion batteries.

Thank you for your input though, it's a good peace of mind to know for those who have an L900 that is functioning correctly!

Here is something I haven't said yet on this forum... I WAS able to get my L900 to charge with the charging cable it came with. Somebody metnioned the difference in charging frequency and maybe that's the problem. So for me it was either exchange the phone for something else or buy all new cables for home, work, car... etc and make sure they are the right wattage / amperage / whatever and test them all out.

By the time I did all that I might have been out of my 14 day exchange and I would have spent money that could easily have totaled over the $35 re-stocking fee. So I just took the easy way out and swapped the L900 for the Titan 2.

I am not here to knock on the L900, I loved it for the less-than 48 hours I had it. It was the perfect size and everything. I just don't like surprises like this.

The old saying is "burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me." well I see it as "burn me once, SEE YOU LATER!" when it comes to something technology related.

It's the whole reason I am back to WP7 in the first place. I took a hiatus and had an iPhone for a few months and an Android for a few weeks and said EFF THIS! and came back. Couldn't be happier and I am glad to be back and part of this community. Whether or not my T2 is as popular as the L900 I could care less. WP7 is where it's at!

Long reply I know.
Not all chargers are the same just because the connectors are the same. Does it say in the Lumia 900 manual to only use chargers designed for it? I bet it does.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
so you got a DOA phone... just go exchange it , this can happen with any electronics.
dont think Ive ever sold a Phone model that dint have a problem at some point in time.

im pretty sure:

- DOA (dead on arrival) = 30day return.

this means you wana keep the same phone but its defective , after 30dayz they send it in for repair before 30days they exchange it for a other phone of the same model.

- BR ( Byers remorse) = 15dayz ,

this means you wana exchange your phone NOT DUE to problems but simply cause you dont like it.

but id double check with AT&T with the exact dayz cause it may very from carrier to carrier.
make sure to check out these links for more info:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/os-discussion/187398.htm#post1625455
http://forums.windowscentral.com/os-discussion/187394.htm#post1625450

For the connectors , it doesn't change much now a dayz , BUT some of the chargers have lower or higher voltage witch COULD damage your battery in the long run. very unlikely that ti got damage on the first charge,.

Last edited:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So I just switched to AT&T to get the Lumia 900. Like any new phone I get I let the battery completely die after my first full charge.

So it's dead, I have had it plugged in for about 3 hours and it just sits here showing a white screen for about 3 seconds, then a black screen for about 5 seconds, then the battery logo with just a little red juice in it for about 5 more seconds then black again for 5 and back to white for about 3.

It just does this over and over and over and never takes a charge. I've tried umplugging it and plugging it back in over and over at different points during this cycle but to no avail.

I guess it's back to the store with this one. I WON'T be getting another Lumia 900.

Maybe they will have the Focus 2. I really don't want the Titan 2 becase I don't like phones THAT big.

EDIT: It appears that this is a VERY common issue. Too bad too. I was ready to be "nokia or bust" and join all the cool people who got one.

or wait for wp8?

dmenglert

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

What people need to do is when they are trying to charge their phone with no juice, hold down the power button while charging so your phone can stop trying to power on. Every windows device does that. Hold down the button for maybe 10-16 mins so it can generate some type of charge so it can power on

thanks this seemed to have helped although it didn't take 10-16 minutes, it to just seconds, I bought one on ebay, and picked up locally 2 days ago, threw it on the charger, the next day(Sunday) took it to a store to throw on my corporate line, they told me I had to call the buisness line as the company I worked for was to large for a retail store to do anything, and up until that time everything powered on, but I didn't do to much till I got it configured. I left it in the car and called from my office the following Monday (the day I'm writing this) and it wouldn't power on, after two hours it wouldn't give me the battery icon.

I tried holding the power button (20 seconds Max) and I felt I vibration then the battery low symbol appeared, 5-10 minutes later the phone booted.

I should have read this forum 1rst because the fun part is now I have AT&T sending me another one.

thanks

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
um... i didn't read everything, but i think Selfcreation had a tutorial up on why you should not completely discharge your battery (lithium ion ones anyways)

from what i read from some labs is that if you completely discharge these batteries there is a chance the ions inside will stabilize and thus become "unchargeble", there is a chance to fix it by giving it higher than normal voltage to "wake-up" the ions, but there is no guarantee

so i think u broke the battery when u completely discharged it, the important part to note here, is there is "a chance" so it doesn't happen all the time... these batteries needs more care too, such as not leaving it in the cold (0 degree i think) or over heat them (>40 celsius) will kill the battery

u might want to read those up if u have the chance

dmenglert

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
um... i didn't read everything, but i think Selfcreation had a tutorial up on why you should not completely discharge your battery (lithium ion ones anyways)

from what i read from some labs is that if you completely discharge these batteries there is a chance the ions inside will stabilize and thus become "unchargeble", there is a chance to fix it by giving it higher than normal voltage to "wake-up" the ions, but there is no guarantee

so i think u broke the battery when u completely discharged it, the important part to note here, is there is "a chance" so it doesn't happen all the time... these batteries needs more care too, such as not leaving it in the cold (0 degree i think) or over heat them (>40 celsius) will kill the battery

u might want to read those up if u have the chance

Good to know in my situation, while it seems to be charging now (thanks to help from this board, I will watch it, if and when it fully charges, it it doesn't retain that charge I will take the unit AT&T is sending me. some times over-reacting can be a good thing now I have options :).

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Now that sounds like an interesting idea. If my L900 ever does get to 0% this will be the first thing I try.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

I needed info from a msg that was on my focus with a dead battery. I plugged it into a charger after about a min or so the low battery icon appeared and about 5 minutes later the device powered on I got the information and left it plugged in until fully charged.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

I tried that, believe me. I tried a lot of things. And yes, it was bricked.

The Tango update fixed this issue though! It will actually sit on the red battery screen for about 5 minutes and then try to boot. It used to do that for about 30 seconds before trying to boot again. No matter how long you held down the power button. I held it down for 30 minutes while watching a TV show from start to finish, it never came back up.

Anyways, Tango fixed this issue. It's even in the release notes: "There are also enhancements to the performance of the startup sequence - most notably providing a more reliable boot sequence following a full depletion of the battery"

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

The Tango update fixed this issue though! It will actually sit on the red battery screen for about 5 minutes and then try to boot. It used to do that for about 30 seconds before trying to boot again. No matter how long you held down the power button. I held it down for 30 minutes while watching a TV show from start to finish, it never came back up.

"
So I am confused. If you tried this, and everything else, and your phone was still bricked, did you get it replaced? How can Tango help a bricked phone?
Oh, and I assume you held the power button down while the phone was plugged in to an AC wall charger, right?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So I am confused. If you tried this, and everything else, and your phone was still bricked, did you get it replaced? How can Tango help a bricked phone?
Oh, and I assume you held the power button down while the phone was plugged in to an AC wall charger, right?

Yes, i got it replaced... I actually got an S3 thinking i would give android another chance. Bad idea. Sold it and bought another lumia. Told myself I just wouldnt let it die. Then comes tango and the release notes say the issue is fixed so i had to try it.

And yes i held it down with it plugged in lol. I dont know why its so hard to believe that I tried everything. WP it turns out was just too good for me to leave.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Sure You can change it, by taking the phone apart. Risky and voids waranty, but it can be done.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

Anyways, Tango fixed this issue. It's even in the release notes: "There are also enhancements to the performance of the startup sequence - most notably providing a more reliable boot sequence following a full depletion of the battery"

This goes to prove that you are a *******, after all these threads. Why do something against the specs, it clearly says, charge your battery full the first time. who know how long that battery was in storage.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

And yes i held it down with it plugged in lol. I dont know why its so hard to believe that I tried everything. WP it turns out was just too good for me to leave.
Sorry to drop the bright light interrogation on you, but I have read reports from two different users who did have success with the hold power down method. Just want to get to the bottom of it. It either works or it doesn't.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
This goes to prove that you are a *******, after all these threads. Why do something against the specs, it clearly says, charge your battery full the first time. who know how long that battery was in storage.

Wow, name-calling on the internet? Arent you just the coolest thing since sliced bread! Haha.

When did I say I never charged it full the first time I got it? You are making that up. I never said when I first got it that I never charged it at all. I just let it die once and that L900 was apparently defective because the new one works like a charm.

Calm down.

Sorry to drop the bright light interrogation on you, but I have read reports from two different users who did have success with the hold power down method. Just want to get to the bottom of it. It either works or it doesn't.

Whatever you have to do to make yourself feel better. The L900 is not a perfect device and the fact that MS changed the boot sequence in tango and the release notes for the latest update even says it fixed this issue when a battery is completey dead means it was in fact an issue.

I just don't get why it's so hard to believe because you know two whole users that found a work-around that didn't work for me.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I just don't get why it's so hard to believe because you know two whole users that found a work-around that didn't work for me.
Geez, don't get so defensive. Thought my post was a bit conciliatory, but I guess not. Sorry. Fact is, the other two users were pretty convinced the press and hold method worked for them, just as you are convinced it didn't. So in my book, that makes it possible, but not probably.

Oh, and the change in bootup sequence came from the Nokia firmware update, not Microsoft. And where does it specifically state this change had anything to do with a battery not charging from a dead state. Point is, your first device might have had a problem that your new device doesn't. When it's been verified by a dozen Tango users, then we can call it a solution.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte