Lumia 920 amber vs iphone 5 camera

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Aside from the comment up there ^^^^ about asking on a WP forum - I think the 920 cam is genuinely superior to the iphone5 cam, and especially with the pro-cam app it really does take fantastic images.

MyThIc3LiTe

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Pre Amber 920 mopped the floor with the 5, Post-Amber makes it worse. The 5S is a different story and honestly, we lose some ground there but thats a given when the 1020 is the new flagship and that beats the crap out of the market yet again.

highercal

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I personally think the Lumia 920 pre-Amber still takes the cake from the iPhone 5S. My gf currently upgraded to that and her photos come out dull. It lacks color and if you start to zoom, its all pixalated. It's also not as detailed in low light conditions. I got to hand to Nokia, they made a great camera phone. Now the support for this phone is a different story but I dont want to open up that can of worms. :cool:

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Unless you're rockin' a 1020 all of the flagship phones are pretty much the same. I'm tired of everyone saying this ones so much better etc. Side by side pics are all pretty close. It's the skill of the person taking the shot that makes the difference.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Unless you're rockin' a 1020 all of the flagship phones are pretty much the same. I'm tired of everyone saying this ones so much better etc. Side by side pics are all pretty close. It's the skill of the person taking the shot that makes the difference.

^^^^THIS^^^^ I've said to friends of mine before all over on Facebook. Just because you have a really good camera does NOT make you a good photographer. I used to be in a character costume at a popular theme park, and I've seen all kinds of cameras/camera phones. If you would just look at some people with great cameras and devices, you'd see how bad they are. I mean, So many people don't even know about the half shutter focus or how about the idiots at sporting events and concerts that take photos with their flash on in the dark when the subject is more than 10' away? It's ridiculous.

Sorry for the rant, but this statement was one of the most dead on statements I've seen in a while when it comes to camera phones and quality. I used to work for Olympus Digital and I got really good at taking photos to the point where you give me a crappy camera, and I can take decent photos. Such a great and accurate post!!

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's true that the 1020 is better than all others (unless you're a myopic iFan), but I do believe the 920 is noticeably better than anything the iPhone has ever coughed up.

The best advice I can give is to take a photo on both devices and view them on a computer to compare.

adipabeta

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Who have both phone, would you shoot same object at same distance, same fokus area, zoom in at 100%
Then post it here

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

adipabeta

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Who have both phone, would you shoot same object at same distance, same fokus area, zoom in at 100%
Then post it here

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Whatsup67

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
We'll said could not agree more this is better than this and so on and so on.its up to the person taking the picture and how they set it up

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
this is funny...
it is NOT all down to the person taking the photograph, because if all I want is a picture of a cup of coffee on my desk, then the 5mp camera on my surface is going to produce a significantly poorer output that the 8.7mp on the 920, which will be significantly poorer than my 18mp canon 7D.
Yes, I've deliberately gone to extremes, but I find it amusing how people say they're all the same, it's all down to the user - you just cannot make that definitive statement - it's a combination of user and tools.

Now, if you are looking for composition and subjects, then of course the persons skills do come into it, but if the same person takes 2 photo's, 1 with each phone then the question IS about the better camera.
There are dozens of comparison pics out there, the 920 camera is certainly the better camera, pre and post amber.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
this is funny...
it is NOT all down to the person taking the photograph, because if all I want is a picture of a cup of coffee on my desk, then the 5mp camera on my surface is going to produce a significantly poorer output that the 8.7mp on the 920, which will be significantly poorer than my 18mp canon 7D.
Yes, I've deliberately gone to extremes, but I find it amusing how people say they're all the same, it's all down to the user - you just cannot make that definitive statement - it's a combination of user and tools.

Now, if you are looking for composition and subjects, then of course the persons skills do come into it, but if the same person takes 2 photo's, 1 with each phone then the question IS about the better camera.
There are dozens of comparison pics out there, the 920 camera is certainly the better camera, pre and post amber.
No what actually is funny would be the number of different web sites saying the s4 is the best, the iphone 5 is the best, the htc one is the best or the lumia 920\925 is the best. There is no correct answer. A large number of people say the 920 camera sucks after the amber update. It's a lengthy thread in this forum. Here try this review...http://blog.laptopmag.com/smartphone-camera-shootout-2013/11

Last edited:

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
A large number of people say they've got battery issues too - but certainly for me, this is not the case.

Guess everyone is different right? ;)

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok...here is my opinion. The iPhone 5 and Lumia 920 are pretty comparable in image quality from everything I've seen. Low light is definitely in the Lumia's favor. I think you would have a hard time telling which is which. BUT I will say that there are more features and options to the Lumia camera. OIS, true manual focus and manual settings, this is what makes a Nokia camera what they are. I'm sure other phones might start doing the same, but between those 2 phones Lumia provides much more flexibility and adjustment than the iPhone 5 for roughly the same image quality.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Some web searching should dig up some good side by side comparisons. Also, simply looking at the pictures created by both, not necessarily of the same image can help too. For that, I went to Flickr and used the phone names as the search term to find pictures taken with those phones. That was just an evaluation of whether or not I liked the image quality by itself, not as a matter of comparison.

I ended up with a 920, so you can see which way I lean. The only phone that I would consider trading it for is a 1020, period.

:cool:

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok, let's be fair. Yes, the 920 camera performs better in low light with less noise. But for daytime pictures, I'd say they are very much tied.

I personally think the ONLY place 920 suffers in terms of image quality is when it comes to color and white balance. Especially with shots taken indoors. They tend to get a blue tinge to them. Iphones are very very accurate with color. Also the iphone has coninuous autofocuing meaning you can take pictures faster.

So I'll summarize by saying it's easy to take a good pic with the iphone 5, but with some effort and manual settings, you can take a GREAT picture with a lumia 920

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
having owned both, i would say that the iphone camera is just hands down faster at taking snapshots, but if you want an in-depth well set up shot that you wanna remember for years to come then the lumia 920 is better in every sense in regards to the hardware of the camera itself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb