Lumia 920 Jailbreaking Video(Dec 29 updates)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The last time a 'jailbreak' for a Windows 8 Phone was announced on XDA for another phone it was a simple registry hacker mod. I.e. no core 'root' OS files were changed out. This really limits changes to the tweak level. I don't see anything new this time, but information is very vague..

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Piracy is not the issue of stealing money from developers. Piracy will (like the process or not ) make the platform more relevant. No possibility of piracy, no relevance. More piracy, more relevance, and the platform will attract more users, more hackers, more developers.

More developers, really? Not this one at least, read the reasons why their app is not on android devices. That is the same road "hacking" will lead WP to.

http://www.wp7connect.com/2013/12/2...-is-a-match-made-in-heaven-on-windows-phones/

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
users will resort to this if MS doesn't do something on many pet things which annoys the us day and night,
1, it not easy to create a playlist on this phone as it used to be on symbian, this phone must not depend on PCs to do certain things.
2, The FM radio was poorly designed, when one opens the FM Radio, a screen of tuned stations must be shown, not the current scenario where one has to touch a small star in order to see the tuned stations. there is no way of naming the stations as well.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to try the dev unlock on my Samsung focus but never got around to actually investing time into doing it. But seems interesting and would be nice to have a color spectrum. Also one thing I don't like is if you change the contrast on the phone, nothing show on your lock screen. Honestly the only thing I've been waiting for this month was the "black" release.

benedict

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
True, Microsoft and Nokia should give enthusiasts deeper access on their devices, we wanna help push the platform, the preview program is all good, but would be great if we got the preview OS from initial stages, include us in the testing phases like you do your employees, jailbreak on IOS because the is is freed from its "jail" and users can do stuff which the locked up retail release would not allow.

benedict

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Users come to the WPC forums for help with their devices, the OEM or retailers are second option, unless advised by members here to contact them, if issues are hardware etc, we have a community which is willing to help out fellow WP users,

e4et

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 920 Jailbreaking Coming Soon

Not for me. Jail Breaking is one thing but to what end? There is no evidence, empirical or otherwise that this won't be more than what happens on Android 24/7, not paying developers for their work. I want to see that this won't become a portal to all kinds of malware on Windows phone. Not to mention we don't know the identities or motives of the hackers forcing open this OS claiming it does one thing but at the same time giving them unprecedented access to personal information, pass codes, banking information many of us store there all while you marvel at a few additional background colors.

I know what the OP said won't happen but I know what did happen with both IOS and Android. There is NO evidence that this won't become what happens on WP too. Especially with the number of people that protest the .99 and 1.49 cent price tag on many WP apps.

This is true, a very valid point.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

This is true, a very valid point.

Yes, he does have a very valid point. There is also the fact that this type of unlock WILL unlock "unsigned" applications and it automatically opens the doors for the pirates. You can't have one with out the other.

This could scare away many devs but, one thing people need to know is the percent who actually would unlock/jailbreak a phone is different than how many people buy phones. Not everyone will jailbreak, even in iOS it's under 5% and Android is higher but, most times it's to get a stable phone or to add OS features that the OEM did not include. Not everyone is going to pirate but, some people will but, I don't think it will be enough people to make a true impact on sales for an app (unless it's a really expensive app with no demo).

I look forward to unlocking features in WP, not pirating software, I do have a dev account now so if I need to "side load" and app I can but, I don't really use it that much. 3 row tiles, custom colors for tiles, tethering on Verizon, and other little hacks like backing up all app settings (including games that you can restore if you nuke your phone), did this with WP7....

So, there is a lot of advantages of doing this, not just stealing software...

Naveen Stuns

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Yes, he does have a very valid point. There is also the fact that this type of unlock WILL unlock "unsigned" applications and it automatically opens the doors for the pirates. You can't have one with out the other.

This could scare away many devs but, one thing people need to know is the percent who actually would unlock/jailbreak a phone is different than how many people buy phones. Not everyone will jailbreak, even in iOS it's under 5% and Android is higher but, most times it's to get a stable phone or to add OS features that the OEM did not include. Not everyone is going to pirate but, some people will but, I don't think it will be enough people to make a true impact on sales for an app (unless it's a really expensive app with no demo).

I look forward to unlocking features in WP, not pirating software, I do have a dev account now so if I need to "side load" and app I can but, I don't really use it that much. 3 row tiles, custom colors for tiles, tethering on Verizon, and other little hacks like backing up all app settings (including games that you can restore if you nuke your phone), did this with WP7....

So, there is a lot of advantages of doing this, not just stealing software...

Pirating softwares have some positive impacts as well. U know why android got popular? its only because of pirated softwares. I never heard any of my friends/relatives bought apps from play store but they just download paid apps freely. So I really hope we can jailbreak Wp soon :)

Sent from my A110 using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Note: XDA closed the thread on this "hack" at this point it is more than a rumor not an actual hack released. Come to think about it, you have someone's word that you might not if ever heard from. You have a 920 video showing 3 row tiles, this could of been a video or a still image capture from another phone.

Till we have an actual release AND it has been checked out by some experts, this is nothing more than a rumor right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leliawindler