Lumia 920 Owners - Would you buy this?

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a 920 and see the 32gb Surface RT bundle on sale at Best Buy today for $399. This includes the keyboard and is a total $200 savings. Does anyone here own one? If so, do you recommend it for that price?

I have read a lot of reviews and know about the shortcomings but this does seem like a good price for a well built tablet that Microsoft has said will get upcoming updates. Thoughts? I have a chromebook and am thinking of returning it for one of these. Honest opinions please.

Verner

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I have had the Surface RT since it was launched.
I love it.
It wipes the floor with an iPad, except the number of apps of course.
Proper multi-tasking, full Office etc. I've converted a few fanboys with a demo of mine.
Get one, you'll not regret it.
I got myself a 33Gb Micro SD Card for it, to store Videos/Music etc. on.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I work in retail as a technology consultant, so I get to play with all the new toys, I get to put them out and set then up for my store. I have to say the surface is awesome, especially compared to a chromebook, in my personal opinion, the chromebook is a joke. However that is 100% biased, it will do the job for plenty of people and they are very light weight and affordable, the build quality is pretty good too. HOWEVER you're already using Windows Phone 8, I never recommend mixing and mashing devices because then it takes away from them a little bit because of they are the same sort of system that ties together, you'll get a much more fluid experience, it will be a lot more fun to play with and also be a lot more functional. The build quality is also much nicer, the surface is a beautiful machine. And with the way google is towards Microsoft these days, I don't ever try to support them, because they are very immature towards them. But yo a degree, that's me being biased again. But you are in Windows Phone world, full of Microsoft lovers :p do I guess that is to be expected. Do lots of research for yourself. You'll find the right answer for you

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I would get a Win 8 tablet instead for that price

There are no decent Windows 8 tablets for $399. At least not in Canada.
Typical asking price for a quality Windows 8 tablet is $499-$599 and that does not include a keyboard.

I am leaning towards purchasing this, I can always return it if it doesn't give me what I need.

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I work in retail as a technology consultant, so I get to play with all the new toys, I get to put them out and set then up for my store. I have to say the surface is awesome, especially compared to a chromebook, in my personal opinion, the chromebook is a joke. However that is 100% biased, it will do the job for plenty of people and they are very light weight and affordable, the build quality is pretty good too. HOWEVER you're already using Windows Phone 8, I never recommend mixing and mashing devices because then it takes away from them a little bit because of they are the same sort of system that ties together, you'll get a much more fluid experience, it will be a lot more fun to play with and also be a lot more functional. The build quality is also much nicer, the surface is a beautiful machine. And with the way google is towards Microsoft these days, I don't ever try to support them, because they are very immature towards them. But yo a degree, that's me being biased again. But you are in Windows Phone world, full of Microsoft lovers :p do I guess that is to be expected. Do lots of research for yourself. You'll find the right answer for you

Thank you for the feedback and insight! I am not a religious Windows Phone 8 user so matching the OS isn't of too much importance. There are things I really like about Windows Phone and some things I really can't stand so I tend to switch it up regularly between my Lumia 920 and Note 2. I do believe I am going to return my Chromebook and fork out the additional $100 and give this a shot.

Do you recommend the Zagg shield on the screen?

Verner

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
If you're reasonably careful with it, I don't think you really need a screen protector.
I've had mine now for 9-10 months, I think and it's still like brand new even though I use it daily both professionally and personally.
It's a well built piece of kit!

I'll bet you that you will love it.

Good luck and best wishes,

Verner

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I ended picking one up, I can always return it within 14 days if I am not happy with it.

The price is good. I can't see the next Gen Surface RT's available for any less than probably $599 so for what I need it for I will save a couple hundred bucks. Really only looking to store trip photo's on it, general browsing and some office suite work (primarily Word).

Should be fine for my needs and must say the screen is super impressive.

vansiv

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I want to buy L920, but dont know where, need to be unlocked and around to $340 bucks.
Just need to be online store, do you know guys some place?

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
With the latest price drop, I'm getting one for the fiance. She's currently on an iPhone 4 and iPad 3rd gen. She sees me on my Surface Pro and Lumia 920 and is constantly pissed and jealous. We're planning our wedding and sometimes, we're on the couch at the same time with our devices, and she keeps having to close out of apps to go and do something else while I move windows around, open apps when needed or just browse the web with my Core i5/4gb based computer. She hates me, but I love my Surface!

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Buying an RT takes some understanding of the OS and what you plan to use it for. It is a solid machine the battery life is 8-10 hours and the interface is extremely snappy and easy to use. Having a windows phone means the setup will prob be easier because you can sign in with your wp profile.
Movies played easy, even randomly downloaded ones, the video out was easy...just a mini hdmi out no proprietary cables.

I do wish the speakers were a bit louder.

I did have to switch to a surface pro big reason was I needed some apps that were not there or not there yet.

I was a first day buyer of the RT now the pro has replaced a ton of systems for me. I do love the pro it just depends on what you want to do.

I would say my biggest gripe on the whole thing was no java, now you really wouldn't notice this except on some really random pages. Being in the mil some of their education pages didn't work. Surprisingly Card access log in worked. If you have any questions let me know it was a great device I just needed a couple apps it didn't have.

the biggest for me work wise was putty was not developed for it. There were some app solutions but they didn't cover everything.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the feedback and insight! I am not a religious Windows Phone 8 user so matching the OS isn't of too much importance. There are things I really like about Windows Phone and some things I really can't stand so I tend to switch it up regularly between my Lumia 920 and Note 2. I do believe I am going to return my Chromebook and fork out the additional $100 and give this a shot.

Do you recommend the Zagg shield on the screen?

if you are getting a keyboard I see no use for a screen cover

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I would never buy an RT device. They are simply too crippled, when compared to an x86 machine. I would rather buy an Atom-based tablet running full Windows 8.

giffis

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Do not expect RT tablet to work like a laptop with Windows 8. It should be compared against ios or android. In that front RT is superior. No other os has multitasking like RT. Office, outlook and IE 10 make RT better than ios and Android. I own surface and for me it is more useful than iPad or an android TABLET.

Jacqueline Landau

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I have been a proud owner of a Surface RT since day 1 (October 26 2012). Had my share of woes with WiFi and irresponsiveness, to say the truth, but all that is behind me now. I'm running 8.1 Preview and the responsiveness is very good. So good, in fact, that I have a hard time keep if off my spouse fingers from it. I also have a Nokia 920 and just got the GDR2 update yesterday. Very happy with both. Awesome. I also have an Asus eeSlate EP121 that I ever since updated to Win8. It's based on a Core-i5. Only trouble is the battery. Looking forward to the Haswell-based SurfacePros. All our house is Windows 8 based now. No regrets whatsoever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte