Lumia 930, white unlocked, very good except for 2nd mic; all pkgng plus cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
After months of ignoring it, I'm finally selling my Lumia 930. It's in good to very good condition, with a few nicks (see photos) and one potential show-stopper of a problem: the 2nd microphone (used for front camera and song identification) does not work. Cortana and Hey Cortana continued working, but at some point my wife noticed that she could no longer hear me during Skype video calls, and I noticed that song identification ("what song is this?") wasn't working. The lack of Skype video was a deal-breaker (as was my company moving to Google Apps for Work, prompting me to get a Nexus 5X).

Because it was more than six months old, Expansys USA wouldn't help. Because it was imported, Microsoft wouldn't help. I tried 3rd party repair places recommended by both of them and got nowhere. I spent hours on the phone with MS help, and they eventually agreed to evaluate (but not necessarily repair) the device if I would pay for shipping to/from Asia. I visited dozens of threads across this and other forums. I spoke to Gordonfink here and bloggers abroad; no joy. If I was in Europe or the UK I probably would have been golden. I reinstalled software and apps countless times; I reflashed; I reset; I recovered. It is a hardware problem. If I was more technically inclined I could buy the replacement mic and install it myself (I found posts detailing all of that as well as technical manuals); I'm not, so I'll hope to find it a home with someone who does not need Skype video.

The device is currently on Windows 8.1, latest build as of January 2016. I'll restart the device before shipping.

Includes all original packaging and accessories (headphones, charging cable and European plug were never unwrapped). Note this is an imported phone so it did not come with an American plug. I will also include a new in box unused Armor Suit full body wrap (clear). This gives minimal protection but gives a nice grip and makes the phone look naked. I'll include a soft, frosted/clear case that was only lightly used (maybe a dozen times).

I'm listing at $150, but I'm honestly not sure about the price. This is not my area of expertise so I'm not sure how to price a phone with a flaw that I can't fix but may not be an issue for a particular buyer. Feel free to provide feedback, but please be constructive.

Item Description: Lumia 930 in white. Phone is in very good condition with a few notable issues:
  • 2nd mic doesn't work, though Hey Cortana does still work (see details above)
  • There is a tiny dent on the top rear corner of the aluminum trim (see photos)
  • There are some nicks along the left front edge of the aluminum trim (see photos)
Price: $150
Carrier Locked or Unlocked?: Unlocked
Condition: Used; good to very good (see notes)
Includes:
  • Phone and all original packaging and accessories (headphones, charging cable and European plug were never unwrapped) but no American plug
  • Armor Suit full body wrap/skin (clear) unused, new in box
  • Frosted/clear soft rubber case, only used maybe a dozen times
Item Location: Wilton CT
Shipping Details: USPS Priority Mail with Tracking
Payment Options: PayPal
Additional Info: see above
Contact Info - Please PM or post below
Photos:DSC_0526.jpgDSC_0527.jpgDSC_0528.jpgDSC_0530.jpgDSC_0531.jpgDSC_0534.jpgDSC_0535.jpgDSC_0536.jpgDSC_0538.jpgIMG_20160514_113314.jpgIMG_20160514_113441.jpgIMG_20160514_113517.jpgIMG_20160514_113550.jpgIMG_20160514_121536.jpgIMG_20160514_123817.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Nice looking device. Good luck with your sale. A pity you just can't find a repair place close enough you could fix it for you on the cheap...

Posted via Moto Maxx

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't recall the band specifications but I can tell you that on AT&T the 930 only supports HSPA+ not LTE. In my area it didn't seem to make a big difference either way, but your mileage (and coverage) will vary. It looks like worldspy99 was kind enough to provide a link that might provide some additional details about supported bands.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Honesty is the best policy. If the secondary mic worked perfectly I'd probably be looking for more than $125 ;)

Posted from my Nexus 5X

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The 930 is great device...may be someone could fix this with little investment.
Yeah, I did a fair amount of research several months ago and I don't think it's too hard or expensive. I just have no experience, no time and no inclination to practice.

A replacement mic looks to be about $2 plus shipping: Nokia Lumia 930 Microphone - ETrade Supply
Disassembly seems fairly straightforward as well: Nokia Lumia 930 RM-1045 Service Manual L1L2 for Nokia Care
Other forum members have done it before: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-930/385476-project-2nd-mic-hardware-software-lets-find-out.html#post3240222

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077