Lumia 950 keeps shutting off and restarting over and over

Kevin MacKinnon1

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 950 that keeps restarting over and over. Anyone else run into this problem? I haven't done a factory reset yet, wanted to get some opinions first. I think it might be the battery but wanted to hear what other people thought

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
From my reads that does seem to be the consensus, battery.

How old is the battery in your 950 and has it been depleting faster than normal as of late?

Sure seems like the 950 / 950 XL are most prone to reboots when battery begins to act up as can't recall hearing too much about other Windows Phones / phones.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Bought a replacement Lumia battery from ebay for my 650 and was blown away how this new battery performs and it fits much tighter than the factory original that come with the phone.

Rattling battery issue is gone and it no longer shuts down unexpectedly.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yep. You need a new battery.

If you're in the US, i'd encourage you to contact Palcotech and buy an OEM Lumia 950 battery from them. You can get their # of their website.

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 950 that keeps restarting over and over. Anyone else run into this problem? I haven't done a factory reset yet, wanted to get some opinions first. I think it might be the battery but wanted to hear what other people thought
Same with my 950 which I've had from original launch. Now,shuts,down several times per day even though I have charge. New battery solved it. No need to do hard reset.

Sent from mTalk

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been starting to get these random reboots, and of late, changed the battery, still getting reboots.

Does a hard reset do much? I've never reset the phone since owning it, about a year and a half ago.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Planned obselence?

Possibly. I think I may have found the culprit though. I cleaned the battery terminal posts with alcohol on the phone. I could see some mark there, and looking at the corresponding parts on the battery, It appears that it has a really thin contact point. I think it may have embedded with pocket dust.

Not getting any restarts atm and had the phone on for a few hours and no restarts. Will report back and put up some pics if anyone else wants to have a look. Unfortunately, didn't take a before pic.

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I bought new batteries for our 950 and 950 xl and our problems went away, but I've wondered if just the opening of the back and moving the battery in and out might have just been what fixed the problems. I am suspicious of me contacts.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought new batteries for our 950 and 950 xl and our problems went away, but I've wondered if just the opening of the back and moving the battery in and out might have just been what fixed the problems. I am suspicious of me contacts.

Plausible. Hard to say, I'd have to try to repeat the results to be certain, but not gonna get all mythbusters on it.

So far happy enough that the restarts appear to have gone.

While the mark was there, I noticed that it was a vertical line, that may be why it happened to me. Otherwise, it's quite possible that another battery, with the points on the terminals in a slightly different location, or potentially rubs them off, can solve the issue.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Where are avaiable new original batteries to the Lumia 950 that can solve the reboot problems? Thanks.
Amazon, of course (at least in the US). Says on this link below that it's the original, and although the ad reads 3000ah, the image of a 2900ah version there looks identical to my three (2900ah) originals. Note that I have never had reboot problems and am not claiming nor reinforcing any battery associations to your rebooting. Nor have I had any experience with this Amazon seller, and there may be other Amazon links/options. Sure hope for you that a new battery does it; do report back.

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Standa...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3763970

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Amazon, of course (at least in the US). Says on this link below that it's the original, and although the ad reads 3000ah, the image of a 2900ah version there looks identical to my three (2900ah) originals. Note that I have never had reboot problems and am not claiming nor reinforcing any battery associations to your rebooting. Nor have I had any experience with this Amazon seller, and there may be other Amazon links/options. Sure hope for you that a new battery does it; do report back.

https://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Standa...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3764133

OK, thank you for the info. I hope I won't need to buy one, but it's good to know it.

How much use to hang the battery of this device? One day ore more?

Thank you again.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
My best of the three originals I have lasts all day with moderate use. The other two last til mid-afternoon or so. Note, I have always had most location and background apps turned off. I use Bluetooth on my car regularly, and that, calls, and especially maps/navigation drain it the most, and in that order (I usually plug in in the car, of course). The 950 feature I've always valued the most is indeed replaceable batteries. Thus, I do what I need to do, and never worry about battery life. Get one or two if you can and relax.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750