Lumia 950 or Acer Liquid Jade Primo?

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I've tried all the major platforms, but I would say I have the least overall experience with Windows phones. In the past I've used a Lumia 521 and Lumia 822. I've used Windows Phone 8.1, but not Windows 10 Mobile.

Currently I am clinging to my BB10 phones, hopping back and forth between my Z30 and Q10. But the HP Elite x3 got me interested in Windows phone again.

I am well aware of the current state of Windows phones - app gap and all. I know Microsoft is killing the Lumia line and letting third parties do the phone hardware. They are also focusing primarily on enterprise customers.

The parallels with BlackBerry are interesting. BlackBerry is also killing its in-house hardware design and production and licensing its software and brand to third party OEMs. They have already started doing this with their own flavor of Android, but the likelihood of a third party licensing BB10 and actually producing and selling new handsets that run it is very remote.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has the resources and long-term vision to keep supporting Windows 10 Mobile. While they may be putting their mobile hardware on hold, they have strong partnerships with several OEMs and I expect to see new Windows handsets coming to market regularly.

In short, I think Win10 phones have more of a future than BB10 phones, so I'm considering switching.

If money were no object, I would get the $1300 HP Elite x3 bundle with Lap Dock and Desk Dock in a heartbeat. But like most people, I'm on a budget and even the phone by itself is out of reach at $700.

I want Continuum, so I've been looking at the Lumia 950 and Acer Liquid Jade Primo. And trying to weigh the pros and cons of each.

Here's what I've come up with.

The pros I see of the Acer Liquid Jade Primo are:

- Comes bundled with dock, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, and case
- Dock stands the phone up so you can see the screen
- Same internal specs as Lumia 950
- Lower res screen might translate to longer battery life
- Good front camera

The cons I see with the Acer are:

- It appears it has not yet received the Anniversary Update and nobody knows if it's Acer's or Microsoft's fault
- Lower res screen than Lumia 950
- Battery not user-replaceable
- No fingerprint sensor or iris scanner
- Rear camera is meh
- More expensive than Lumia 950
- Smaller battery than Lumia 950

The pros I see with the Lumia 950 are:

- Microsoft hardware, so sure to receive timely updates
- Better screen than Acer
- Better camera than Acer
- User-replaceable battery
- Iris scanner
- Cheaper than Acer
- Larger battery than Acer

The cons I see with the 950 are:

- Doesn't ship with cool accessories (although MS is currently including Display Dock free in a promo)
- Display Dock doesn't prop it up, would need to buy a third party stand for that
- Front camera is not as good

So I'm leaning towards the 950, but would appreciate any advice or any first-hand impressions about each device.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
For your case, I'll have to suggest you get the 950. You have laid out some great pros and cons, but one thing that is very important to consider is how the apps will work. Some apps have been updated to not work if you don't have the Anniversary Update on your phone. I would hate if you got the Acer and you couldn't use some apps that you would normally use.

In my experience, the front camera is good.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
950 is an awesome device. And you can find a display dock for cheap as well. You should be able to get both these items cheaper than a new Acer Liquid Jade Primo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria