Microsoft Announces third Windows Phone 8 update?plus a new developer preview program

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone 8 ?Update 3′ adds top requested features ahead of 1080p devices. Also Microsoft bypasses carriers to deliver early Windows Phone updates.

Features at a glance:

* Support for 1080p resolution screens
* Support for the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core processor
* Driving Mode
* New accessibility features
* Improved Internet Sharing
* Custom ringtones
* Rotation lock option
* Better storage management
* Easily close apps
* Wi-Fi access out of the box
* Better Bluetooth

PS: Developers can get Update 3 today.

Source: Announcing our third Windows Phone 8 update

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Excellent news.

Cue tones of people signing up and paying for the developer program as a way of getting the updates early.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I appear to have a dev account already. Guess I'll be looking at GDR3 when I get home from work.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
.. especially the part about the update potentially breaking your phone's warranty..

This is a preview GDR3 after all, there's a possibility things might not go smoothly.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If I reset my phone, do I remain at Update 3? I feel as though this question will come up frequently...

See bold below

Any catches?There are only a few caveats users face by participating

• This only includes the OS update, not device specific firmware i.e. this is not Nokia's 'Bittersweet shimmer'; users should remain with their current firmware and will not lose it
  • You can only move forward, there is no ?going back? to earlier releases
  • You need at least OS version 8.0.10322.71 to participate
  • You will continue to receive the official update (and firmware) when they become publicly available, so there is no missing out of features, nor will you ever be behind
  • This will void your device warranty

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The same as will happen if you hard reset a phone with a released GDR update, the OS version will remain the same as before you hard reset the phone (i.e. if you hard reset a phone with a preview GDR3, the preview GDR3 will remain after the reset).

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I ain't a developer man.

You don't need to be. Just sign up and follow the instructions. There's no requirement for you to write any code or create apps.

All you need to do is:-

a) pay cash for the year
b) accept the risks of using the preview
c) accept that you won't get any manufacturer/carrier added additions until the official release.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The same as will happen if you hard reset a phone with a released GDR update, the OS version will remain the same as before you hard reset the phone (i.e. if you hard reset a phone with a preview GDR3, the preview GDR3 will remain after the reset).

Ahh thank you, I was unsure of that! I may still take the plunge tonight, still a bit scared though. Shant be too long until the official is released (I'm sure that will just patch right over the preview when that becomes available? same with bittersweet?)

Also a nice way of getting it out there without carriers intervening!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gorly3