Microsoft 'Confirms' Plans For Its New Surface Phone

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This was posted today on Forbes.

“…when you say we’ll make more phones, I’m sure we’ll make more phones, but they will not look like phones that are there today.”

As to the launch date, the Redmond-based company may have announced an event on May 23rd but I don’t think that a Windows 10-powered smartphone is going to show up before the end of the year. If you are looking for an appropriate time for Microsoft to release a smartphone that shows off the Windows 10 platform on a mobile handset to best effect, that would be the launch of the Redstone 3 - the Windows 10 update due to be launched late Q3/early Q4 in 2017. This will offer many new features that are focused on the mobile experience. With new software comes the opportunity to sell new hardware. Can Nadella have his surprise ready for September? His recent comments suggest that new hardware for 2017 is still on course.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewansp...e-phone-confirmed-satya-nadella/#3c7bc125268f

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Yeah this sounds like it's in a development stage where they're working on a new game changer kind of as we all figured. Going to be interesting to see what develops.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
While I hope that is true I don't expect it to come because there were way too much rumors about it and until I don't hear it from Microsoft I won't believe it.

MLXVI

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Where does that confirm a Surface phone.....

Sent from Idol 4s

From the article; "when you say we we'll make more phones, I'm sure we'll make more phones, but they will not look like phones that are used to today". This implies a surface phone with all the rumours of what a surface phone will be. And although they are just rumours, the quote and the article at the very least, give us a strong impression that Microsoft has not finished in the mobile space.

It is kind of common sense that one of the largest tech companies in the world worth $370 billion will want ground in the mobile market.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
That's not a definite answer its a wishy washy answer. Confirming means we will make another phone not im sure or i think we will...

Sent from Idol 4s

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. The next mobile "device" will not be what we know today as a phone. It will be a mobile computing device that also takes phone calls.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
WP fans: It's late
S.Nadella: A Surface Phone is never late, WP Fans. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to.

... !!

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Judging from the limited demos we've seen with Windows on ARM I'd say a new Surface device with telephony, internet and a small form factor running Windows on ARM is pretty far away. Certainly doesn't look like it'd launch this year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb