Microsoft doesn't get it: W10 will still feel like an OS with two mixed worlds

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Funny cause the Tablet mode and swipe features and expanded start menu are MUCH MUCH worse on tablets than Win 8.1 was.

To a Tablet user Win 10 feels more like trying to use Win 7 on a tablet. It is probably a case of Ms trying to please everyone and pissing off everyone at the same time.

Win 10 for Desktop is a much improved experience and for Tablets it is a horrible downgrade over Win 8.1

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
... for Tablets it is a horrible downgrade over Win 8.1
I won't say horrid, at least for me it is a touch enabled laptop so its quite fine, but one can understand it is no longer fun to use on touch laptops or for your tablet. They can improve on this bit even if it is a compromise. App view is fine using gesture, but the start screen is a put off. Seriously for me I have to tap that windows logo in corner to access(yes I could just press key on the keyboard.)
Other than that, notification centre + action centre no longer includes the brightness control and volume control which is difficult if I tried to access using touch.

yihong kang

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Icons and functionality of modern apps are not important at this stage. Those things can be easily changed after the release of windows 10.

If you really care about icons, there will be plenty of programs to change them. For most users, how the icons look like doesn't matter that much (many people don't even change the default wallpaper or ringtone).
For now, modern apps already have some advantages over desktop counterparts in win8.1 (dynamic scale, fluidity, efficiency), but they are holding back by limited API and not inability to run in windows. Once windows 10 get released, there will be more useful APIs to make those modern apps even more powerful.

The only thing that I really don't like is the always visible taskbar. If them can make the taskbar autohide in tablet mode and start screen more beautiful, I will upgrade everything in my home (tablets, 2 in 1, laptop and desktop) to windows 10.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Desktop users are mostly power users

False... if you have ever done enterprise level IT support, you would know that desktop users are mostly NOT power users. Working previously at a job that had 5000+ users and another with 500+ per site (i jumped around 3 of 20+ sites) most users were not the smartest, and VERY few of them (15-30 people total) would barely qualify as a power user.

ahumeniy

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
False... if you have ever done enterprise level IT support, you would know that desktop users are mostly NOT power users. Working previously at a job that had 5000+ users and another with 500+ per site (i jumped around 3 of 20+ sites) most users were not the smartest, and VERY few of them (15-30 people total) would barely qualify as a power user.
If power users are not using modern apps is because there are few apps for them. I would love to have official server management tools as modern apps. I would love to have a modern explorer built-in. How about a modern powershell console?

spch

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

I will rephrase, desktop users expect more productivity from their OS than smartphone/touch screen users who mostly expect to stay connected to their social circle and have the latest apps/games.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I will rephrase, Some desktop users expect more productivity from their OS than smartphone/touch screen users who mostly expect to stay connected to their social circle and have the latest apps/games.

corrected your statement :) I consider myself a power user (and in IT) and i really don't get your issue. I can still do everything i was able to do with my previous OS and enjoy the modern ui on my touch AND non-touch devices. At home that means my Surface Pro 2 and 4 non-touch desktops.

Granted, I will say, in an enterprise environment (Windows 8 Enterprise edition) MS should have stuck with the classic start mention. For the everyday consumer version, it's time to accept change. Windows has basically looked the same since Windows 95. The same basic layout, organization, everything. it's time to move on.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I said touch stuff not tablet mode stuff, there is really nothing put into the builds yet for gestures and swipes and stuff for touch devices.

Dimon Daemon

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Desktop users are mostly power users and by grouping them with tablet users Microsoft just dumbed down the whole OS.

Microsoft is now trying to replace Control Panel, I will see how they replace Administrative Tools or port it to a Modern UI.

My Grandma does not agree with you :grin:

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not liking the start menu. The original version of W10 had a great start menu. Its was completely customizable. Now its not. It forces 4 columns of metro icons on you. I only want 1 column. Even removing ALL the icons it still has a giant gap. Will it work? yes Is it good? no

Hello! You promised us a fully customizable start menu and took it away!

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I'm not liking the start menu. The original version of W10 had a great start menu. Its was completely customizable. Now its not. It forces 4 columns of metro icons on you. I only want 1 column. Even removing ALL the icons it still has a giant gap. Will it work? yes Is it good? no

Hello! You promised us a fully customizable start menu and took it away!

To this point, they recoded the start menu in a XAML interface in one of the more recent builds, which meant they were basically starting from scratch with it to do so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daviicket