Microsoft ends Xbox Live Gold forever. Say hello to Xbox Game Pass 'Core.'

Iamdumbguy

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
Games with Gold has been absolute garbage for years. MS should just make online play free. The rent seeking is out of control. You get nothing. This is as pathetic as selling M365 subscriptions for personal users and touting your access to an Excel template called Money and Teams calls.

Reactions: HelloNNNewman

Thretosix

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft is fumbling this bad. I'll be letting my Game Pass lapse. The only way to get online multiplayer access is with Ultimate.

NoLifeDGenerate

May 7, 2023
www.mentallyirregular.com
Typical. Fixing something that isn't broken. I still want to know why PS got so many COD games, Minecraft, Fallout, etc as freebies that GWG didn't even though MS owns Minecraft/Bethesda for ages and now COD.

I also want to know why Bethesda accounts still exist. Haven't people complained loud enough yet??? Redfall got all kinds of heat. They had to remove the accounts from the retro Doom games, but they refuse to let go of it even now that they're owned by MS. It's ridiculous. The only account I should need on Xbox is my Xbox account. PERIOD

Iamdumbguy

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
Typical. Fixing something that isn't broken. I still want to know why PS got so many COD games, Minecraft, Fallout, etc as freebies that GWG didn't even though MS owns Minecraft/Bethesda for ages and now COD.

I also want to know why Bethesda accounts still exist. Haven't people complained loud enough yet??? Redfall got all kinds of heat. They had to remove the accounts from the retro Doom games, but they refuse to let go of it even now that they're owned by MS. It's ridiculous. The only account I should need on Xbox is my Xbox account. PERIOD
Live Gold was broken, but this ain't fixing anything. They should just make online play free and let GamePass be the upsell.

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
It clearly says all pay tiers include online multiplayer. What I don't get is "core" and "console" being $1 difference. Why even bother with core?
Core is only $9.99 on a month by month basis.
They are keeping the $60 yearly subscription. $5 a month on the long commitment. That is the rationale.

One of the things that came out in court last week is that a *lot* of COD players play nothing else or very little. CORE squeezes out the online gameplay Vig like GOLD, *and* offers up a sampling of good and different games to see if they can entice the single game types (COD, DESTINY, ETC) to try (and like!) more types of games. At which point they might migrate to the higher tiers.

BTW, look at the timing: CORE goes (ahem) live in Sept just after STARFIELD and the Black Series S and just in time for the holiday shopping season. Now, remember that XBOXes used to come with a couple weeks "free" GOLD. Switch that for a few weeks of CORE. Give'em a taste of the variety of good games on GAMEPASS. Then they get a choice of a $60 one year commitment, $10 each month for CORE or $11 a month for the full deal.

Odds are somebody new to XBOX--like the majority of Series S buyers--will be tempted by the free trial to sign up for CORE, especially since CORE can convert to a higher tier on a dollar-by-dollar basis.

Finally, since we're talking the holiday season, it's easy to see Series S white going for $199-249 and Series S black for $299-329. Lower prices on Black Friday.

Put it all together and CORE isn't for existing XBOX gamers but for newcomers. Either first timers or refugees from Sony or Nintendo interested in STARFIELD and the other XBOX exclusives. Series S more than Series X buyers.

It's actually a smart move for a platform that, while closing the gap, still lags the Playstation 5 in sales this generation. And what better way than to go low and cheap and then move them up to the higher tiers? Baby steps...

Iamdumbguy

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
It clearly says all pay tiers include online multiplayer. What I don't get is "core" and "console" being $1 difference. Why even bother with core?
I think you're wrong. The MS graphic does NOT include online gaming for GamePass Console. Such a rip-off. That means it's cheaper to buy GamePass Ultimate than Core + Console even if you don't play PC or cloud games.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124