Microsoft has gone too far.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Which if anyone remembers in Halo 3 when the Master Chief was hearing echos of Cortana while she was in possession by the Grave Mind, she recites several passages. One of them was "I have defied gods and demons... I am your shield, I am your sword." This was a reference to Legends of Charlemagne and Ogier the Dane.
Yup. Bungie are huge into mythology, especially this particular branch of lore.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
2. People who haven't heard of Halo and Cortana will think the name is cool.

I've heard of Halo, I even played a little of it looong time ago, but I didn't know about Cortana. If I didn't read it on the internet, I'd have no idea it's the same name as ??? in Halo (??? because I still have no idea what the purpose of Cortana in Halo is). Anyhow, I find the name cool. Too bad it's not going to be available where WP is the most active.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Cortana reminds me of some scary cyborg from a sci-fi show. It learns what you do, where you go, who you are, who and what you know, something that no piece of technology should ever know about you (No, I do not use Facebook).

I'm going to get my WP 8.1, turn off the location services,turn off all of the Cortana tracking features (Hopefully this can be done), and enjoy 8.1. I hate to disable the best feature WP 8.1 has, but I value my privacy over a nice-looking app that talks.

The last thing I want MS to do is send my location data, people I know, etc to the government...

By the way, thanks for crashing my profits, MS... (Signature). I guess i'll have to work on a Cortana exploit to make up the loss.

If you're really that concerned with your privacy, I suggest you also take one more step and cut the wire. As long as you're on the internet, your privacy is at stake.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
TL;DR - Security is a REAL concern, don't hate on those that are worried about it, you don't know why they are concerned and should be treated with respect.

Guys...

I don't think anyone that has security concerns in regards to anything (not just Cortana) should be treated like this. I work for Microsoft, I have been testing WP8.1 for a while. I have delved into the SDK and I have also learned a LOT about Cortana, and not just the app, the back end that lets her do her magic. (Don't ask for details, they won't be answered).

All I can tell you is that when you do things with Cortana, Device First is always at the top. If it cannot find it there, it will either return no results or hit the web (this is dependent on the query of course). In this case, yes, Cortana does send data upstream. What exactly do they send, I can't say, but they follow their privacy policies strictly. I can't tell you how many times I have gone through trainings and meetings about privacy (some we have to do frequently again and again).

Most people are not Dev's. Most people are not Engineers that can track thing back. A LOT of people that this will help are Business People and people with busy schedules that they need to keep up with. Security is a REAL concern when it comes to Company information as well as Private information. Companies like Google (and I am not just picking on them for spite) have tainted the public perception of data mining. Everyone knows now, since it has been so highly publicized) that Google start off as a Search Engine and now they are a Data Horder. They will use every strategy under the sun to get as much money possible from every scrap of data they collect (legally and illegally, as they have been caught a few times). Other companies are guilty as well, but Google has been on the most watched list for this stuff.

In the end, people with concerns about security do have valid concerns, either a business need, personal need or just a reassurance need. Whatever. They should be treated as respectfully as you would treat anyone else that asks a valid question on this forum.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Uh, you can always turn Cortana off and manager her notebook yourself. Of all the companies to be worried when it comes to privacy, Microsoft isn't the one you should worry about.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have also learned a LOT about Cortana, and not just the app, the back end that lets her do her magic. (Don't ask for details, they won't be answered).

If you're ever in Switzerland, be sure to give me a shout so we can go out and grab a few beers. I'll do my asking then ;-)

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
TL;DR - Security is a REAL concern, don't hate on those that are worried about it, you don't know why they are concerned and should be treated with respect.

Guys...

I don't think anyone that has security concerns in regards to anything (not just Cortana) should be treated like this. I work for Microsoft, I have been testing WP8.1 for a while. I have delved into the SDK and I have also learned a LOT about Cortana, and not just the app, the back end that lets her do her magic. (Don't ask for details, they won't be answered).

All I can tell you is that when you do things with Cortana, Device First is always at the top. If it cannot find it there, it will either return no results or hit the web (this is dependent on the query of course). In this case, yes, Cortana does send data upstream. What exactly do they send, I can't say, but they follow their privacy policies strictly. I can't tell you how many times I have gone through trainings and meetings about privacy (some we have to do frequently again and again).

Most people are not Dev's. Most people are not Engineers that can track thing back. A LOT of people that this will help are Business People and people with busy schedules that they need to keep up with. Security is a REAL concern when it comes to Company information as well as Private information. Companies like Google (and I am not just picking on them for spite) have tainted the public perception of data mining. Everyone knows now, since it has been so highly publicized) that Google start off as a Search Engine and now they are a Data Horder. They will use every strategy under the sun to get as much money possible from every scrap of data they collect (legally and illegally, as they have been caught a few times). Other companies are guilty as well, but Google has been on the most watched list for this stuff.

In the end, people with concerns about security do have valid concerns, either a business need, personal need or just a reassurance need. Whatever. They should be treated as respectfully as you would treat anyone else that asks a valid question on this forum.

Have you met Privacy Pete yet? (Internal MS joke so no one else be worried if you don't get it)

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Cortana reminds me of some scary cyborg from a sci-fi show. It learns what you do, where you go, who you are, who and what you know, something that no piece of technology should ever know about you (No, I do not use Facebook).

I'm going to get my WP 8.1, turn off the location services,turn off all of the Cortana tracking features (Hopefully this can be done), and enjoy 8.1. I hate to disable the best feature WP 8.1 has, but I value my privacy over a nice-looking app that talks.

The last thing I want MS to do is send my location data, people I know, etc to the government...

By the way, thanks for crashing my profits, MS... (Signature). I guess i'll have to work on a Cortana exploit to make up the loss.

It's foil hat time.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Everyone ignore this desperate developer lol. Heres his forum section for his app which will be obsolete when Cortana is released.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/de...43-speech-voice-assistant-official-thead.html

From the app reviews:

Wish app could be updated. And a way to contact developer. Would be perfect if updated... Needs bug fixes. Reminders won't delete and appointments won't accept certain times. Paid... Please update... Please.

by Rich10/19/2013

Two stars is being generous. Gave one star for building a windowsphone app. NO INSTRUCTIONS? "the time you chose is invalid" is only answer you get when setting alarms and appointments. I use built in speech recognition works great. This program sucks. Don't waste you money like I did for full version.

by Duc10/19/2013

You have to say Speech first, then pause a bit, then the command. Why is it so hard to write that instruction down in the app screen?

by Steven10/18/2013

Sorry, but tried app due to a blog report/article. Agree, non-existent instructions is not a good idea. I'm not fond of many of the apps as I feel you can get faster results just typing, but Voice Butler does a much better job at voice control.

by Bugs10/17/2013

It doesn't say in the nonexistent instructions but when you long press the Windows key you have to say Speech first. Once you activate it, some features are nice and looks integrated with the built in app but it is extremely limited in what it can do and if you don't know the EXACT command it is as good as useless. I just wish it could understand more natural language like Google Now or Siri. Oh well, until TellMe is updated I guess the developer ca only do so much. Decent effort but at least needs better instructions on launching.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

rcameron81

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
From the app reviews:

Wish app could be updated. And a way to contact developer. Would be perfect if updated... Needs bug fixes. Reminders won't delete and appointments won't accept certain times. Paid... Please update... Please.

by Rich10/19/2013

Two stars is being generous. Gave one star for building a windowsphone app. NO INSTRUCTIONS? "the time you chose is invalid" is only answer you get when setting alarms and appointments. I use built in speech recognition works great. This program sucks. Don't waste you money like I did for full version.

by Duc10/19/2013

You have to say Speech first, then pause a bit, then the command. Why is it so hard to write that instruction down in the app screen?

by Steven10/18/2013

Sorry, but tried app due to a blog report/article. Agree, non-existent instructions is not a good idea. I'm not fond of many of the apps as I feel you can get faster results just typing, but Voice Butler does a much better job at voice control.

by Bugs10/17/2013

It doesn't say in the nonexistent instructions but when you long press the Windows key you have to say Speech first. Once you activate it, some features are nice and looks integrated with the built in app but it is extremely limited in what it can do and if you don't know the EXACT command it is as good as useless. I just wish it could understand more natural language like Google Now or Siri. Oh well, until TellMe is updated I guess the developer ca only do so much. Decent effort but at least needs better instructions on launching.

WOW! sounds like his app is going to kill Cortana lol

He also has another forum he created a while back hating on Cortana
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/254884-cortana-ill-do-better.html#post2269109

Not wise to badmouth the company who holds your app in its hands ;)

NYRbeezer

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I one time posted a status that I was going to meet my mother for lunch, but instead of mother I used the word maker ( because you know, my mom did make me). Cops were at my door in 10 mins because someone misinterpreted the status update. If people want to find you, they don't need a stupid siri copy to do so.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
where did you post that update? for someone to call the cops on you

Probably Facebook or Twitter. All it takes is someone who follows/friends with him and knows where he lives to call the cops and boom cops at the door.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss