Microsoft leave out WP8 yet again!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
but you can speak in person. This update is about video messaging, something that's identical when emailed.

Please explain to me how its different than sending a video clip via email?

It is a handy feature, but so is emailing a video clip. Something the handset already does.

Evidently it's a valid feature since Microsoft went to the bother of adding it to Skype. If it would be as pointless as you guys make it sound they probably wouldn't have done it.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
You are looking at this from the wrong lens - WP is a minnow at Microsoft - they aren't going to make decisions that impact their major businesses (enterprise software/services) to support their small minor platform - the Skype team has a certain amount of developers - their job is to do what's best for that division not worry about the WP division. Now obvious the higher-ups could step in and make that happen but they will not - because it's not in the cultural DNA of microsoft. It's perfectly rational from that perspective.

oh really, then explain why it's available for bb10......

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
MS makes so many facepalm decisions. Thank goodness they're restructuring. I believe the WinRT and WP8 teams are getting combined soon, which could surely help speed things up (RT seems to be getting updates as frequently as Win8 x86). I mean WinRT has stuff WinPhone needs and WinPhone has stuff that RT could use. It never made any real sense as to why there was 2 separate teams working on the same CPU architecture, especially since the entirety of windows OS works on the NT kernel.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Because the Skype team thinks there is some benefit from doing so? Self-explanatory isn't it?

I've heard the BB10 app is just an Android port...no work required.

MS should still be taking care of MS. If the division heads won't mandate it, then Ballmer should.

anon5657577

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I've heard the BB10 app is just an Android port...no work required.

MS should still be taking care of MS. If the division heads won't mandate it, then Ballmer should.

Actually, there was a bit of work required which is why it took them sometime and it was only ready when the Q10 was about to launch in PREVIEW format.

They modified it to run in the background so you don't need it as an active frame like some other app's.

Auto start and auto sign in when phone is switched on or rebooted. Obviously you can disable these options if battery life is an issue or you just don't really use it thus not needing it to auto start/sign-in.

Use the BB notifications i.e. Led and tones even though i've never had it use the built in tones. Seems to use its own sounds for some reason so that still needs to be sorted in a future update I hope.

Integration with the BB Hub so your Skype notifications are shown there.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I just got my windows 8 machine not too long ago and after navigating though it and realizing there's a desktop skype for windows and windows 8 skype it kinda makes sense nothing was done for wp8 yet. It's gotta be them trying to make messaging app all work together.. fingers crossed? :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
downloadtorose