Microsoft or google services?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
If your setup works for you then great, no need to change it tbh. Many people end up 'tinkering' with the system and get nothing done rather than having a trusted system and be productive. Reason I changed was my needs changed so couldn't use Apple products anymore. If my needs hadn't changed id still be all in with Apple.

What needs changed that you couldn't use apple anymore if you don't mind me asking?

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
And while I would prefer a PC for my desktop (gaming), I'm unsure if I'd get a win 8.1 laptop over a MacBook. MacBook get better reviews than pretty much any windows laptop, and I've heard some windows laptop horror stories.

I've had one or two windows laptop horror stories over the years, but the difference is that a decent Windows powered laptop can be had for $500-$600 these days, and if you only need a basic no-thrills laptop for regular use, you can probably find one with touch screen for $400-$500.

In comparison, a basic no-thrills Apple laptop will run me for at least $300 more than a a very decent laptop with Windows. Also, if I want a decent Apple laptop (and not just the basics), I've got to spend $1,300 for the pleasure. I'd rather save the money and take the chance. It's been a long time since I last got a windows laptop that game me a horrible experience.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
What needs changed that you couldn't use apple anymore if you don't mind me asking?

I use David Allens GTD system (Getting Things Done) and at home I had Mac, work was PC. Was a nightmare getting the 2 to play nice, couldn't change work so Apple had to go. Fast forward and I run a recruitment business, I looked at Apple but the software we use was only available on IE, that's changed now as its browser free however we have invested in the tech already and its much easier to stay with MS. I also believe that the next version of Windows will be something business has been waiting for.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Are you trying to say you cant use Onedrive on an iPhone/iPad or Mac? Are you saying Office doesn't exist for Mac or iOS?

Which part of my comment you don't understand.

I am talking about LINUX.

Google also provide it's services to to iPhone iPad whatever.
So, are they committed to provide it's services to cross platform?

giulianoreali

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I see why people who adopt Windows Phone prefer to use Microsoft services. It's better integrated into their systems and it looks neat to use products by the same company that makes your OS.

But to trash Google and their services is ridiculous. You might prefer outlook, one drive, or whatever, but to say that Gmail is bad, for f*ck's sake. It's a fantastic service, just like most other Google services, which by the way have great integration with the two major OS's. Maybe that's what makes some WP users bitter. There's room for more than one good set of services. For Microsoft to be good, Google doesn't have to suck. You can be a ****** without being delusional.

And about privacy concerns, do you seriously think Microsoft is better than Google or Apple? You're really naive if you do.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I have moved completely to Microsoft's services and routinely use Microsoft, Apple and Google hardware seamlessly. Everything seems to sync and take care of itself quite well. I foresee Microsoft really focusing on the software over the next year or two. They want to be the only people you turn to for software, regardless if you are using a windows phone, iPad, or nexus. They will make their profit off of subscription fees, not hardware sales.

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think I can go to windows phone, at least not yet. The app situation is still rather shaky and if rather see where the platforms at in a year or two. They're getting there , though . And while I would prefer a PC for my desktop (gaming), I'm unsure if I'd get a win 8.1 laptop over a MacBook. MacBook get better reviews than pretty much any windows laptop, and I've heard some windows laptop horror stories.

I do like Microsoft though, I like them as a company. It's just I don't think I can use their devices for phones and tablets and maybe even laptops. So that's why I wanted to still use there services , but on my iOS devices and possible MacBook and desktop PC. (Note: only things I own right now are a family PC, iPad 4, iPhone 5s, and Apple TV. ) I don't have a laptop.)

But I didn't know how well they integrated with iOS and mac in comparison to google because google has a active incentive to make their services awesome on all platforms. Microsoft is always going to favor windows devices, no?
Don't believe all the stories you hear about the MacBook and its apparent invincibility - I have a two year old work issued MacBook (running Win 8.1, Boot Camp, and Mountain Lion). The hard drive has been replaced and the keyboard just died on me! One of my colleagues is having display issues (hardware related, same age of MacBook). Replacing components in them, according to my electronics technician, is not easy. Mind you, I expect that is likely true of any laptop today where components are crammed into a confined outer shell. Bottom line, nothing is perfect and you (generally) get what you pay for! Just MHO!

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
So right now I'm in the process of deciding wether I want to use all Microsoft services or all google services.

So basically it's using bing, outlook.com, onedrive ,onenote , office 365, Outlook calendar/contact sync, skype

VS

Using google search, google drive, docs and sheets, gmail, google calendar/contacts , and hangouts.

Or maybe I can just mix and match between them, but won't I lose functionality and them working together.

also , do you guys think the privacy concerns with google are worth worrying about or should stop us from using and enjoying their services? I'm kinda 50/50 on it.

I should note that I use a iphone and iPad, but I also use a PC. What do you guys think?

This is an easy question. Each service will work better on their own platform. Compare each of the services; which one gives you the best experience [I know both service MS & Ggle are pretty good]? And yes you can use a mix of both many people do it and they are happy with that. In my case I will say I used to use both but Ggle has been scaring me every single day and don't give me all its service on my WP so, right now I am almost full MS ecosystem. I also use Dropbox, Box and so on.... And btw unlike Ggle, MS products will always be on your WP.

KSilcox

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I switched all my services from google to MS about a year ago. I am liking the direction MS is taking with convergence and unification and decide it was a good time to do it. I haven't been sorry.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I do use OneDrive, IE11, WP, Outlook.com, but sometimes I also use Chrome (because of extensions) and Google Search (only on Desktop, but I'm considering to replace it as well).
Still looking forward to global expanding of fully featured Bing.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
So right now I'm in the process of deciding wether I want to use all Microsoft services or all google services.

So basically it's using bing, outlook.com, onedrive ,onenote , office 365, Outlook calendar/contact sync, skype

VS

Using google search, google drive, docs and sheets, gmail, google calendar/contacts , and hangouts.

Or maybe I can just mix and match between them, but won't I lose functionality and them working together.

also , do you guys think the privacy concerns with google are worth worrying about or should stop us from using and enjoying their services? I'm kinda 50/50 on it.

I should note that I use a iphone and iPad, but I also use a PC. What do you guys think?

apple and microsoft services trump googles any day in my experience
i use both microsoft and apple services on a daily basis
youtube and googles search are the only google services i still(reluctantly) use

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Don't believe all the stories you hear about the MacBook and its apparent invincibility - I have a two year old work issued MacBook (running Win 8.1, Boot Camp, and Mountain Lion). The hard drive has been replaced and the keyboard just died on me! One of my colleagues is having display issues (hardware related, same age of MacBook). Replacing components in them, according to my electronics technician, is not easy. Mind you, I expect that is likely true of any laptop today where components are crammed into a confined outer shell. Bottom line, nothing is perfect and you (generally) get what you pay for! Just MHO!

yeah one of my friends has issues with not just one but two macbook airs( mid 2013 13" ivy bridge and 2014 11" haswell) both have issues with the battery life which suddenly reduced to 1 hour instead of the 6-8 hours they used to give till about a month ago
despite having warranty apple india told him to upgrade to mavericks to stop the issues(nonsensical reasoning,typical of service centres) despite him having gotten excellent battery life on the same un upgraded os
they told him the battery cannot be replaced and to shell out 1/2 the price of each macbook to get a replacement which is a refurbished model

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My service usage breakdown:

Google - Mail, Maps, Search, Play Music, Calendar, Keep
MS - XBox Music, Skype, OneDrive, Office Apps, XBox Live Gold
Apple - nothing

MS is inferior in search, maps, mail, calendar.

Regarding Mail - if MS eliminate folders and went to Categories only while revamping the interface to make Category interaction easier as well as provide natural language input that would allow me to switch.

Regarding Maps - POI database is just inferior, needs more investment.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I had been using Google services, but was increasingly concerned about their use of data, invasion of privacy (Not that I have anything to hide), since upgrading all my tech to 8.1 and WP, I am almost exclusively using MS and like others I find the stuff just works.

I do admit to the occasional use of Google maps on the web.

Bob

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
The thing is I'm really only concerned with how they work on iOS or Mac. I really don't have interest in WP right now. I do use a desktop PC.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Do you have any specific questions we could help with?

I'm mainly just concern if there's any limitations or problems with the Microsoft services on iOS and Mac. I know google works well there, but I was concerned about MS services. Like, is there any problems with syncing outlook calendars or contacts? What can I not do with the Mac one drive app compared to the windows version? And pretty much just how do they compare overal to googles? And is googles privacy concerns even worth worrying about to the point that I shouldn't use them?

giulianoreali

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Why don't you search for that information in a less biased place? If you ask at WP Central or Android Central you pretty much know what you're going to hear.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos