Microsoft pulled LinkedIn from the Windows Store

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure there's an update in the works or something. UWP is the future MS is pushing for. Wouldn't be surprised if an article on this subject pops up on the WC front page lat

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Ow! Wonder what is up.

vikPppH.jpg

Sent from mTalk on my HP Elite X3

WPWeasel

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Par for the course sadly - the WP app situation is, and has been, a ****show for quite some time. It's gotten to the point now where they can't even get the messaging straight. App retirement notifications go out, are retracted, apps are updated and then removed from the store.

It's just insult added to injury. The paucity of apps is bad enough without confusion surrounding what's available and what's not. It reflects very poorly on Microsoft and their store, even though they're probably just acting on the vendors request to remove said app.

EDIT: I just remembered that Microsoft owns LinkedIn. So this farce is all on them. SMH.

Marekt77

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
The situation with LinkedIn really illustrates issues with Microsoft... They still have their iOS to UWP bridge, and since LinkedIn is now owned by Microsoft, you think they could have asked an intern or two to port the iOS app to UWP using their own bridge?!?!?!?! If the tech works as advertised this should have been a 2-4 week project.
It would show that a) they still care about Windows Mobile and b) their tech works.
Pulling the app, and replacing existing installs with just a web wrapper is just lazy and borderline incompetent.
Heck they even own Xamarin now, how about announcing that the new LinkedIn App is going to be written in Xamarin, targeting all platforms and serving as a showcase for Xamarin technology...
I seriously wonder what is going on over at Microsoft sometimes....

Ismail Mohd

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft should make the Linkedin app available for both Windows Phone & Windows 10 desktop. Features should be the same as in Android and iOS.

There should be a separate section in the Windows Store called 'Microsoft Apps' which contains all apps developed by Microsoft.

All Microsoft apps which are on Android and iOS should also be made available on the Windows Store for both Windows Phone and Windows 10 desktop.

LaVike

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Actually shocked that this didn't happen before. I'm sure that MSFT will come out with a iOS and Android version and then say that their UWP app will come out in a couple of months. Isn't that their mantra?

Of course the first sentence is sarcastic! Sadly, the rest is probably true.

I have to believe that MSFT = Massively Screwed-up dis-Functional Team.

Great people developing great products but the leaders do not have a clue.

microsoft111

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Is the mobile version of LinkedIn site not good enough? I always prefer using IE or Edge over app. Unless the website doesn't have feature.

Bank of America app is the only option for check deposit they have. Bank of America doesn't have support for check deposit using the website on any platform.

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't agree with the "something is better than nothing". If they have a UWP in the works let's get that. If they won't be supporting the app just pull it.
It's certainly a refreshing flavour after months of MS being ambiguous about phone hardware and phone OS.

Last edited:

RayWP7

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree. They are obviously going to release a new UWP app. Unfortunately, the timing and messaging is, once again, terrible. Microsoft owns LinkedIn, it would not make any sense for them to abandon the platform - at all. Having said that, it could be that they just felt the existing app wasn't as feature rich and decided to pull it in favor of web wrapper until they develop something better. Other companies have done as much. The difference is that they have outright said those are the motivations. Personally, I always used web version as there were a few things the app wasn't capable of doing. Very different experience than, say, the iOS version.

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
What some folks here have to realize about LinkedIn, is that Microsoft is letting them operate as an independent entity, like they did with Skype.

LinkedIn's priorities are not necessarily Microsoft priorities and vice versa.

While I agree it sucks to lose another high profile app, it won't be the last.

MatsuDano

May 13, 2013
Visit site
You're telling me that a software developer/service provider acquisition from Microsoft is leading to a horrible and fragmented experience across other Microsoft products and services?

Say. It. Ain't. So.

I think MS does a great job in selecting other companies for acquisitions and mergers (most of the time, ahem, Nokia) but sometimes they just fall completely flat in translating the experience back into what should be a Microsoft unified experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss