Microsoft services on Mac?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So, right now I don't own a windows phone or tablet , just a family PC. I use iPhone and iPad, and might even get a MacBook. But I like OneDrive and outlook. ( outlook .com , calendar , and etc)

Is there any point using the services on non windows devices ? How much integration or interoperability will I lose?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think you'll be fine. You can get Outlook for you Apple devices and it's a web based system anyway. Not sure about Onedrive as it's now integrated with W8.1, so it acts just like a file location.

The integration side of things is really about doing something in one place and it translating across your devices. For example, I put an entry in my calendar on my phone, it goes to Outlook.com and updates my calendar on W8. It's all connected. Same goes for contacts, etc. Onedrive isn't that fully integrated yet. I'm assuming it will happen with WP8.1.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm mulling in my head if Google services might be better or just the same. I don't plan on using bing over Google or IE over chrome. But I like how simplified outlook is compared to gmail and I like how I have 100 extra gbs on one drive for a year and how they organize files. Google drive doesn't do much sorting into folders on its own. And I assume outlook calendar is just as good as any other calendar.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm mulling in my head if Google services might be better or just the same. I don't plan on using bing over Google or IE over chrome. But I like how simplified outlook is compared to gmail and I like how I have 100 extra gbs on one drive for a year and how they organize files. Google drive doesn't do much sorting into folders on its own. And I assume outlook calendar is just as good as any other calendar.
If you are talking about desktop computers, not phones, there wouldn't be any difference between Google on a PC or on a Mac.

Beside Chrome, Firefox and Opera are available for both PCs and Macs.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Is there any inoperability a with using outlook.com in the Mac mail app, out look calendars in Mac calendar app, or exchange on macs? I just like apple hardware more than windows hardware. I'm wanting to just use MS as a services company.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Is there any inoperability a with using outlook.com in the Mac mail app, out look calendars in Mac calendar app, or exchange on macs? I just like apple hardware more than windows hardware. I'm wanting to just use MS as a services company.

outlook.com will be IMAP, not Exchange ActiveSync in Apple Mail.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I just got a new MacBook Pro after much internal debate. Apart from finding out there's no OneNote app for the Mac (gasp), I've had no problems integrating it to my all-Windows ecosystem.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I just got a new MacBook Pro after much internal debate. Apart from finding out there's no OneNote app for the Mac (gasp), I've had no problems integrating it to my all-Windows ecosystem.

It's just I use all apple products besides our family PC and my nexus. 7. And I have no clue how microsofts/windows services and ecosyestem is going to mesh with that . It's like , let's say I start using outlook.com for email , onedrive for storage , and outlook.com calendars. But then I could want to start using one note, then office, and etc. then why wouldn't I just use a PC all the time , then get a surface, then buy a windows phone?

What I mean is I don't know if I want it to drive me away from apple , which I like. And I'm unsure I'd have those same feeling using all microsoft hardware products. But perhaps thus could be due to reviews and opinions I've heard.

I have no clue if this makes any sense.

ItnStln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

outlook.com will be IMAP, not Exchange ActiveSync in Apple Mail.

I know with Outlook 2013 I can sync my mail, calendar and contacts through EAS. I'm not sure if Office for Mac is similar or not.

ItnStln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
It's just I use all apple products besides our family PC and my nexus. 7. And I have no clue how microsofts/windows services and ecosyestem is going to mesh with that . It's like , let's say I start using outlook.com for email , onedrive for storage , and outlook.com calendars. But then I could want to start using one note, then office, and etc. then why wouldn't I just use a PC all the time , then get a surface, then buy a windows phone?

What I mean is I don't know if I want it to drive me away from apple , which I like. And I'm unsure I'd have those same feeling using all microsoft hardware products. But perhaps thus could be due to reviews and opinions I've heard.

I have no clue if this makes any sense.

I know you can use Outlook for your contacts and calendar on Android using Exchange Active Sync. This is how my work's email is set up on my Note 3.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So, I'm still kinda deciding between using either google or Microsoft services on Mac and IOS. I still like how outlook.com looks on the web compared to gmail , I like onedrive more than google drive I think , and onenote is great also. I'm also thinking of moving my google contacts and calendar to outlook to keep all those together. But I still like YouTube and I like google search more I think. Also chrome.

So I'm just hoping all those Microsoft services I just listed work and sync well on Mac and iOS. I know they'll probably be better on PC, but really I just like apple stuff except for a windows desktop PC, which I like more than Mac due to gaming.

But is there any point using these MS services if I'm a apple user? I wanted something that was cross platform and good. I'm hesitant using all apple services due to lock in.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I own a macbook air, the only Microsoft services I use is Bing as my default search. Have not tried others, but more than likely will be looking forward to trying more Microsoft products.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm still kinda deciding between using either google or Microsoft services on Mac and IOS. I still like how outlook.com looks on the web compared to gmail , I like onedrive more than google drive I think , and onenote is great also. I'm also thinking of moving my google contacts and calendar to outlook to keep all those together. But I still like YouTube and I like google search more I think. Also chrome.

So I'm just hoping all those Microsoft services I just listed work and sync well on Mac and iOS. I know they'll probably be better on PC, but really I just like apple stuff except for a windows desktop PC, which I like more than Mac due to gaming.

But is there any point using these MS services if I'm a apple user? I wanted something that was cross platform and good. I'm hesitant using all apple services due to lock in.

Open a browser tab on anyone's services site... BAM it's the cloud, and it doesn't matter which browser or operating system got you there.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I might forward all my gmail mail to outlook.com and give that a go and see how I like it. Again , I like the visual interface of outlook on the web, but I'm mostly going to be using it through apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)