Microsoft taking their foot off the gas on windows phone apps?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I see a real need to close this post. It has become another p*****g contest on who is right, wrong or believes the strongest.

Let's put it to bed and close this.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
21st Jan.........

That's actually what I'm starting to think (hope). Things have slowed down so much that I've started wondering if they aren't waiting for Windows 10 to do something. For Xbox Music it's been said that the team is working on the Windows 10 version. But I'm also thinking of app creators such as Twitter or even Vine and Instagram.

We'll see in due time.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
MS is focusing on services. Some of those of mobile services. Android and iOS dominate - they consume MS services and MS profit.

However, the UK has 10% penetration. China and India are wide open. So I hope they beef up what phone buyers want - apps!

Are there any dual sim Lumias? Because the would be great for work - MS owns the desktop world, and one would think mobile office apps would work better on a Windows phone - and integrate better with Windows/Office/SharePoint. Sim for work, sim for home. Separate those on one device. Does that make sense? Anyone know a bit more?

I'd love to see Windows Phone flourish AND keep the Nokia build quality!
my $0.02.

Mr. V

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
How in the hell do you turn off music that is playing, radio, stored music; any music. You can pause it but to turn it off takes a third party app like STOP MUSIC. Sorry, a simple exit within the app would be most helpful and even sensible.
I've seen this complaint before and I always find it strange that I've never owned a phone with a stop button. It's always the current set up. Maybe I just forgot but I really can't recall.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
The US isn't the world. The Icon is a high end phone, but its not a flagship. The Lumia 930 is a flagship. The Icon is a variant, but its still not the flagship, its just a high end phone. Unless you're saying that a phone that still doesn't have 8.1 is a flagship? I don't think so.

You seem to keep getting confused. The Lumia 930 comment was in direct response to you saying that we don't know when we'll get Windows 10. I claimed that Daniel and the company Yezz have said that it's coming in the summer, around BUILD. Launching a flagship at BUILD would be one year after the last flagship, the Lumia 930 was announced.

Sorry...i hate to burst ir bubble but the Icon and 930 are the same phone, and yes the Icon is a flagship phone. It was released prior to 8.1, but that doesn't make it any less of a flagship. Just because VZW is dragging its feet getting out the update, the phone wad made to specifically handle 8.1. Kinda, gotta get ur facts str8 before putting them in print. Takes all credibility away from ur other comments, which actually seem well thought out and researched.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry...i hate to burst ir bubble but the Icon and 930 are the same phone, and yes the Icon is a flagship phone. It was released prior to 8.1, but that doesn't make it any less of a flagship. Just because VZW is dragging its feet getting out the update, the phone wad made to specifically handle 8.1. Kinda, gotta get ur facts str8 before putting them in print. Takes all credibility away from ur other comments, which actually seem well thought out and researched.

A flagship is only one phone. It's THE phone to show off what you have. To me, it seems pretty disingenuous to call a variant of a flagship a flagship. The 928 wasn't the flagship, the 920 was. The 928 was a high end Windows Phone, but it wasn't a flagship. Yes, they're small differences, but its important to note the distinction.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The US isn't the world.

There is something about the US that is very valuable to phone manufacturers': the contract system in the US that is often criticized (and rightly so) helps sell high end phones. The high price of the phone is hidden into the contract, making it appear lower cost. Why would I pay $99 for a 635 or Moto G when for $99 I can get a 1520 or Note 4?

Yes, we all know that in the end it costs more, but you could think of it as costly financing. If we want to buy a house or even a car we go to the bank and borrow money. We pay $25,000 for a $250,000 house, but till the mortgage is paid off we've paid $400,000 for the house. Sounds like cell phone contracts, doesn't it? :evil: Good or bad, contracts help sell more expensive phones. This is what the manufacturers want.

The US is also relatively wealthy, and the major OS vendors are US-based as well.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
There is something about the US that is very valuable to phone manufacturers': the contract system in the US that is often criticized (and rightly so) helps sell high end phones. The high price of the phone is hidden into the contract, making it appear lower cost. Why would I pay $99 for a 635 or Moto G when for $99 I can get a 1520 or Note 4?

Yes, we all know that in the end it costs more, but you could think of it as costly financing. If we want to buy a house or even a car we go to the bank and borrow money. We pay $25,000 for a $250,000 house, but till the mortgage is paid off we've paid $400,000 for the house. Sounds like cell phone contracts, doesn't it? :evil: Good or bad, contracts help sell more expensive phones. This is what the manufacturers want.

The US is also relatively wealthy, and the major OS vendors are US-based as well.

Which is fine, but we don't buy Windows Phones though, Europe and India are the ones that do. It doesn't matter the potential if relatively few are buying them. That's why I don't think a variant of a phone that was released worldwide is really the flagship device just because it was released in the US.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
In the interest of not getting the thread too off topic, whatever opinion you feel is right is the right one and the other side is like soooo wrong. Lets get back on topic ;)

Svoboda

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Your title would imply they actually had their foot on the gas. We're talking a world class software outfit and yet, here we still sit.

Windows 10 is it for me. I bought into the one ecosystem and have now been waiting for them to deliver. My family has 4 WPs between them, 2 Xbox Ones and multiple W8 desktops, tablets and laptops. If they fail to deliver on W10, I'm jumping ship. Two of us have been sitting on phone upgrades since October/November with no suitable WP options. I've had patience Microkia... reward me.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
A flagship is only one phone. It's THE phone to show off what you have. To me, it seems pretty disingenuous to call a variant of a flagship a flagship. The 928 wasn't the flagship, the 920 was. The 928 was a high end Windows Phone, but it wasn't a flagship. Yes, they're small differences, but its important to note the distinction.

Again ur wrong. It's only a variant in name, not features. If VZW didn't get exclusivity then it would have been released as a 930 here in the US. And it was released before the 930, btw. The 925 was a true variant of the 920, and it was a flagship phone also, so again ur belief doesn't hold water. Ur taking ur opinion and ur understanding of the word "variant" and trying to pass them off as fact, when in all actuality the fact is the Icon is a flagship phone. I'm sorry, but its true.

Sorry folks. I'll let u get back on topic now. I don't really have an opinion on the actual topic. Was just perusing and had to correct this misinformation....carry on.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Your title would imply they actually had their foot on the gas. We're talking a world class software outfit and yet, here we still sit.

Windows 10 is it for me. I bought into the one ecosystem and have now been waiting for them to deliver. My family has 4 WPs between them, 2 Xbox Ones and multiple W8 desktops, tablets and laptops. If they fail to deliver on W10, I'm jumping ship. Two of us have been sitting on phone upgrades since October/November with no suitable WP options. I've had patience Microkia... reward me.

I can officially award you a big "ATTABOY" for your patience. Sorry, we are all waiting and some of us are threatening to leave if something doesn't happen in "our" preset window. Guess what, it may or may not happen in that time frame. Just a bit more patience.

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I think they got scared from my post. I wish, lol :)
Anyway, the update is there, but notifications for twitter...still hit and miss, mostly miss. I am not negative, but just check the comments, for most people notif. aren't working. I had to buy tweetium subscription to get notifications on time (but also to support dev work).
Facebook has been updated also, sometimes when you clicked on pics from people hub it returned "there was connection error" or smth similar, now it works.
However, they are still far away from what community expects.
If they would update Instagram, I will personally ask to close this (kidding)

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm concerned about the facebook app. We used to receive weekly beta updates now they are not coming out tonight even over a month after. Also the Yammer app, Microsoft releases up to 4 updates a week for android with great new features yet windows phone received 1 update after my continues complains after 7 months of no updates fixing just one notifications issue. They need to pull their finger out and really work hard or windows phone will slowly die in the next few years like blackberry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos