Microsoft VP describes the new iPad Pro as having a "3 legged OS" and it sums up my own past experience better than I ever could

ShinyProton

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
Pretty interesting comment coming from the MS Dev Community VP.

I wonder what he would call an OS without an ecosystem... two legged?
Microsoft made bad decisions over bad decisions in the last decade, losing its consumers and developers bases. Their app Store is a pathetic joke.

Without the cloud and corporate immobilism, they would have a pretty hard time as consumers don't care about them anymore.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Pretty interesting comment coming from the MS Dev Community VP.

I wonder what he would call an OS without an ecosystem... two legged?
Microsoft made bad decisions over bad decisions in the last decade, losing its consumers and developers bases. Their app Store is a pathetic joke.

Without the cloud and corporate immobilism, they would have a pretty hard time as consumers don't care about them anymore.
What's the purpose of an app store on a platform that lacks mobile devices? Every program for Windows is available directly from the company that makes the program.

Reactions: HeyCori

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
What's the purpose of an app store on a platform that lacks mobile devices? Every program for Windows is available directly from the company that makes the program.
The point of an App Store is a single trusted place to install/update apps and OS components, and more so discoverability to help market their apps/games. Without a Store the companies would have to invest more in marketing themselves, and increase risk for fake dupes and piracy. Unfortunately, without a full ecosystem like Apple and Google have, they've had to cut corners to allow companies to use their own installers and co-exist with installing direct from their website. MacOS and Android have desktop app stores as well, and they work well.

Reactions: chidoro42

Arun Topez

Aug 19, 2023
Visit site
That's rich coming from Windows. Telling Apple to unify their operating systems when they themselves failed to unify their various Windows operating systems and gave up when they were getting close with Core OS, and gave up their Mobile OS as well, and instead just prettied up their mixed-legacy OS which causes weird loading of certain mixed-apps like File Explorer and Notepad, messy developer platform, and inconsistent designs in the OS itself and throughout their native apps. They should focus on cleaning up their own OS and building their own ecosystem if they want any chance to continue with consumers.

Reactions: chidoro42

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The point of an App Store is a single trusted place to install/update apps and OS components, and more so discoverability to help market their apps/games. Without a Store the companies would have to invest more in marketing themselves, and increase risk for fake dupes and piracy. Unfortunately, without a full ecosystem like Apple and Google have, they've had to cut corners to allow companies to use their own installers and co-exist with installing direct from their website. MacOS and Android have desktop app stores as well, and they work well.
The more Microsoft nags users to try their programs or uses the OS as an ad platform, the more I want to use other companies' programs. All these new "features" are nothing but bloatware to me.

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
As someone who uses an HP surface clone, I think that comment goes both ways. I've been on jobsites where it takes me forever to get my plans up, the third-party app has driver issues, or my pen doesn't work right. The touch/pen interface is, as all things Microsoft, so close to being frictionless, but has some really obvious and frustrating misses. Just yesterday at a jobsite meeting, the contractor whipped out his ipad, found the information quickly, drew up some comments and had it e-mailed to me faster than I could boot up, open the program, then find the information that isn't easy to get with a pen. (The whole time I'm resisting the urge to whip out a mouse on a jobsite) I think there are cases where each system shines and each flubs. After the meeting yesterday, I'm seriously considering an ipad, at least to go to jobsites.

Jeffery L

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
I wish there were statistics collected on when you use a Windows 2-in-1 device without a keyboard. I think it would show better that Windows tablet is being used more than people realize.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCC