Miss W10M so much :(

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Switching to Android was hard, because I was being forced to switch in order to keep mobile access to secured work calendar, email, etc.

Choosing a device was made easier by one hard-and-fast requirement I set early on: timely OS updates. That immediately cut all but the unlocked editions of Essential Phone and Google Pixel 2/XL. After a lot of back and forth, I ultimately chose a Google Pixel 2 XL.

I like my new phone, and all the must-have apps (Office, etc.) are there. However, there are some OS features I miss.
  • Live tiles for things like photos. The mail/calendar app required for work has a nice live calendar widget, but I do wish I could use a single app for mail/calendar, like I could before.
  • Option to not download images and attachments in emails. (There is probably a better app than Microsoft's.)
  • A keyboard with the WP/W10M layout. I am still hopping between Gboard and SwiftKey, because neither one has a good layout. (Microsoft owns SwiftKey, and a better layout would be very welcome, as would ALL the emojis.)

Even if Microsoft comes out with a Surface Phone (totally not holding my breath), I doubt I'll be heading back to a Windows-powered phone. The app-gap didn't bother me before, but I have to say it is really nice not having to fire up Edge-unfriendly websites for some of the services I use.

Robert Miller17

Mar 14, 2018
Visit site
Re: Miss W10M so much :(I went back)

I was in the process of changing carriers and because the new carrier did not support my 640xl I moved to an LG Android Phone. I quickly regretted the move.
Because of other situations, I moved back to my old carrier, but figured I would give Android one more try. Well 3 months later, I am very happy to report I am back on my 640xl and it feels so fresh and new after the android experience. The phone is actually was released over a year before the two android phones I used, but still feels fresh and new.

I have an old 640 also, so if the 640xl ever dies, I will move back to it

Robert

So nearly 3 months into using an Android phone. It's a OnePlus5T. Great phone. Ok'ish operating system.

Just pulled my Lumia 950 out of the cupboard and fired it up for old times sake.

I really miss that OS. How it synced so perfectly with outlook, contacts, calendar, Cortana, office. Between my Surface devices and lumia phone eveything just worked seamlessely. It was a perfect harmony.

I should stop taking it out and switching it on. I should just send it off to be recycled. It makes me too sad when I power it up :(

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Why are you guys recycling rather than selling them? Now I know why why older Windows Phones are so expensive and hard to find.

Not to mention you get next to nothing from recycling companies for Windows phones. Less hassle than selling yes but no point in giving them away

Last edited:

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Currently on an iPhone X. Miss WM10 a lot. If it weren't for everyone and their brother on iMessage, I would have stayed on the Windows Mobile platform.

Through the years, have owned Elite X3, L950, 1020, Icon, 728, 640, 735, Idol 4S..miss Cortana features while driving, miss how fluid live tiles are, OS navigation, simplified interface for settings (my main gripes with Android after owning about 15 different Android phones, every app has its own settings, then there's the OS settings multiple places to disable notifications, can't stand Google's intrusive behaviors like forcing you to sign in to the play store, then you realize they've signed you in to every other Google application they jam down your throat pre-loaded on every phone, Google+, hangouts, youtube, GMAIL, yada yada. Never get consistent, timely OS updates unless its a Moto or Google device
The one frustration I have with WinMo is that iCloud contact sync never works (just need this for synching my iPhone work contacts)

But guess what...After reading through all 9 pages of this thread, I just bought a refurb 950 from eBay for 107 USD...:confused: and already shopping for a Mozo rear cover. Let's see if I can keep this one more than 2 months.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Why are you guys recycling rather than selling them? Now I know why why older Windows Phones are so expensive and hard to find.

Depends on the phone. Some phones are not really worth the little you can get from it over recycling it. There are some phones that are held in high esteem and one can sell those but for others, haha no...

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Another question that i’ve had.
Microsoft has billions and billions of dollars. Why can’t they or why couldn’t they have come up with a way to incentivize developers to write and maintain the most popular apps? It could be as easy as not taking any cut of the profit from paid apps, could be to pay to develop, develop with in house programmers and through agreements with the companies, pay these companies a small royalty to brand their apps for distribution in the MS Store, market their OS and WM devices. Who knows

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Currently on an iPhone X. Miss WM10 a lot. If it weren't for everyone and their brother on iMessage, I would have stayed on the Windows Mobile platform.

Through the years, have owned Elite X3, L950, 1020, Icon, 728, 640, 735, Idol 4S..miss Cortana features while driving, miss how fluid live tiles are, OS navigation, simplified interface for settings (my main gripes with Android after owning about 15 different Android phones, every app has its own settings, then there's the OS settings multiple places to disable notifications, can't stand Google's intrusive behaviors like forcing you to sign in to the play store, then you realize they've signed you in to every other Google application they jam down your throat pre-loaded on every phone, Google+, hangouts, youtube, GMAIL, yada yada. Never get consistent, timely OS updates unless its a Moto or Google device
The one frustration I have with WinMo is that iCloud contact sync never works (just need this for synching my iPhone work contacts)

But guess what...After reading through all 9 pages of this thread, I just bought a refurb 950 from eBay for 107 USD...:confused: and already shopping for a Mozo rear cover. Let's see if I can keep this one more than 2 months.

I tried a refurb 950 but, the first one had camera button reboot issues and the second had bluetooth connection issues with my phone. I really did like the phone though.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Was comparing V-Keyboards the other day between it and Android. There is nothing like the Windows Phone 8/10 vkb.

OMG, yes. The prediction when swiping on Android keyboards is ***. Windows got the correct word almost all the time, Android keeps offering me the same words which i DON'T end up picking.

mnsiw

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm using Nexus 6 running Oreo 8.1, still missing Windows Mobile, someone selling new box pack Lumia 1520 just for $100, thinking about getting one. I use WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Outlook, OneNote, OneDrive, OfficeLens and Google maps, should I go for it, please advise.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm using Nexus 6 running Oreo 8.1, still missing Windows Mobile, someone selling new box pack Lumia 1520 just for $100, thinking about getting one. I use WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Outlook, OneNote, OneDrive, OfficeLens and Google maps, should I go for it, please advise.

Not sure the third-party GMaps still works, but Facebook will probably a struggle on your device. The rest should be fine though.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I remember when ppl teased me back in the day for having a HUGE phone. Now most ppl have HUGE phones. Haha

I say go for it!

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I finally jumped to Android. My 950 had a fatal accident and I couldn't justify the cost for hardware that old to replace. I went with a $250 Xperia XA2, good midrange specs, good build quality, nice size (I prefer 5.2-5.5 inches). It actually reminds me of the lumia 920 with a bigger, better screen. I'm impressed with the hardware, not so much with Android... Way too many missing features that were just baked in in WM.

Thrawn05

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I have a Lumia 950 and had to do a reset to fix a notification issue only to find out Skype wouldn't download again from the store and WeChat won't let me log back in again. I ended up getting an iPhone only because I trust Google even less. I hate it. I feel like I bought an expensive paperweight. The fact I see just dead useless icons and that I can't get Cortana to give me map directions again is bad enough, but no camera button is truly an evil choice. And it drives me insane that my complaints about the phone fall on deaf ears and that I'm only nit-picking.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a Lumia 950 and had to do a reset to fix a notification issue only to find out Skype wouldn't download again from the store and WeChat won't let me log back in again. I ended up getting an iPhone only because I trust Google even less. I hate it. I feel like I bought an expensive paperweight. The fact I see just dead useless icons and that I can't get Cortana to give me map directions again is bad enough, but no camera button is truly an evil choice. And it drives me insane that my complaints about the phone fall on deaf ears and that I'm only nit-picking.

We seem to be a dying breed my friend. Apple/iPhones seem to me to be the complete opposite of a Windows Phone. Sony does a cool job with their phones (camera button, double tap to wake, screen/color profile, etc..), but it is an Android skinned OS. Nothing against Android here, I just only see new cool hardware when I look at android devices. I have not seen any real standout features in the OS that might make me keep one. The V30 though is pretty close. HiFi DAC, great screen, IP68 protection, etc...Kinda want a V30 again just for the DAC though, nothing more than that really...Still using a 1520 for now :)

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Currently have a Lumia 950 which other than the horrible battery life is a decent performer.

Been on the platform since 2012 and switched over to android in 2017 with a Nokia 6.

Decent performer and excellent batter life. Build quality is excellent...as a Nokia should be. HMD did well .

I just bounce back and forth between the two. Just a shame that windows doesn't have an app for my work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte