More sdcard woe for 1520

zenkinz

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
After the stuttering video recording problem, I replaced my 64G Sandisk Ultra card with 32G Samsung card, and all was well until I noticed there are some duplicate photos in my camera roll folder.

Deleting the duplicates will cause problem to the "cleaned" ones as I wouldn't be able to share or edit

I googled the problem, and it looks like a known problem since WP8 was launched! Apparently it also affects songs but my main concern right now is photos. Totally not usable and I have to switch back to phone storage now, and that defeats the purpose of having sdcard support, plus my storage is running low as a result.

Any remedy?

Sent from my Nokia 1520 using Tapatalk

jasonrush

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I was under the impression that when you take a photo it produces 2 versions. A 5mp version you can view and share from the phone and a 16 or 19mp, depending on your setup, that you can upload to your computer.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that when you take a photo it produces 2 versions. A 5mp version you can view and share from the phone and a 16 or 19mp, depending on your setup, that you can upload to your computer.

this is not the "problem" he is referring too. The phone does not show the 16 mp version in the camera roll, only shows those high res or dng files when looking at the pictures folder on the computer.

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
What is the issue he is talking about I don't understand. I recently changed cards for the same reason pore video quality. Video stored on the card stutters. I got a new SanDisk Extreme Plus card I am not seeing any duplicate pictures. I think my device is even running better. Let me ask this how did you transfer your data from the old card to the new card?

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
What is the issue he is talking about I don't understand. I recently changed cards for the same reason pore video quality. Video stored on the card stutters. I got a new SanDisk Extreme Plus card I am not seeing any duplicate pictures. I think my device is even running better. Let me ask this how did you transfer your data from the old card to the new card?

when I transferred my photos from my old card that were on my computer to my new extreme plus card (inside phone and using USB cable) I got random duplicates.

I currently do not get duplicates when taking pictures, but do on occasion get duplicates when taking screenshots or saving images from mms or the internet. When that happens I just delete the duplicated pics and resave and it usually does not duplicate again.

I think it is something to do with wp8 itself and not the card.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Here is what I am getting at. I am just speculation on your issue. You had a card all set up in your 1520 right you removed it. I am not sure how WP links to the card but what if there were ghost images/links left in the phone when the old card was removed. Without a hard reset these ghost images might be mixing with new images that have the same names. When I got my new card I took the phone, plugged in the USB then in my laptop I used file explorer on desktop to cut everything out of my phone SD card. I moved everything into a temp file on my laptop. Then once the SD card was empty I removed the old SD card and installed the new one. I cut and pasted everything back into my phone the same way in reverse. Maybe by doing it this way it removed the ghost images and links.

Why I think this might be true. When I completed the process, I had over a 1000 songs and a couple of hundred pictures and videos, the phone took some time to recognize the pictures and videos before they showed in pictures and video hub on the phone. While this was going on when I opened the pictures hub it even said loading or processing or something like that. It took a while before everything showed up.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Here is what I am getting at. I am just speculation on your issue. You had a card all set up in your 1520 right you removed it. I am not sure how WP links to the card but what if there were ghost images/links left in the phone when the old card was removed. Without a hard reset these ghost images might be mixing with new images that have the same names. When I got my new card I took the phone, plugged in the USB then in my laptop I used file explorer on desktop to cut everything out of my phone SD card. I moved everything into a temp file on my laptop. Then once the SD card was empty I removed the old SD card and installed the new one. I cut and pasted everything back into my phone the same way in reverse. Maybe by doing it this way it removed the ghost images and links.

Why I think this might be true. When I completed the process, I had over a 1000 songs and a couple of hundred pictures and videos, the phone took some time to recognize the pictures and videos before they showed in pictures and video hub on the phone. While this was going on when I opened the pictures hub it even said loading or processing or something like that. It took a while before everything showed up.

I see what your saying and totally agree with it and thought of that as well in relation to music files duplicating.

Where this theory takes a fork in the road is for example, saving a picture from a website with a unique name and photo you have never had on your phone before, yet it is somehow duplicated when you go to the saved pictures folder to view it......

Its a mystery to everyone lol I just hope Microsoft can figure it out and fix it

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Personally I noticed when doing and "copy and paste" of music, pictures or videos to the phone it would result in duplicates. In fact videos would show about 13 copies of a single video in the music and video hub. However after deleting all my media and starting over it seems dragging and dropping files in their respective folders (instead of copying and pasting) seems to resolve duplicates. Not sure if this is the same issue we're talking about.

However on a side note, was their an option to have duplicate photos saved to the phone by default? I couldn't find that option. I also haven't plugged in the phone to my PC and gone through the camera roll folder yet. I didn't realise the phone saves 2 copies.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Running that card too since day one. I've never seen a video issue.

zenkinz

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Indeed its not sdcard problem because duplicate exists even after I switch the storage to phone. I had exhausted all means and ended hard reset the phone.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs