Moto X VS Lumia Line

Bright Chen

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I expect that many of you would be comparing the launching the marketing messages behind the Moto X and the Lumia line. I would like to receive some enlightments on your opinions, while offering my views.

Back in 2011, with the Lumia 800, Nokia brought back colour to the smartphone race, with 5 bright colours on offer. The media: colour is great, but wheres the power? With the Nokia Lumia 900 in early 2012 + new complaints about poor photo results, the Media pretty much echoed that message. The Lumia 920 offered yellow to the latter, along with a large number of new innovations. The media played up the weight instead, and yet still comparing about the hardware, even though the software was evident in not needing it. The Lumia 925 offered a more sophisticated feel to the chinky Lumia line, yet the media now complained about the LACK of colour features and how its not new ENOUGH.

Enter Lumia 1020: It offered a revolutionary camera that redefined the meaning of phone photography. The media: People don't NEED great and revolutionarily detailed social media photos (*contradicting the complaints in the Lumia 900*).

Now, the Lumia line was advertised to be an inviting feel with warm surface of the polycarbonate greeting your hands instead of hard cold metal, with main complains being the screen not being 1080 p, lack of metal in design, and Windows Phone 8. The Moto X echoed shamelessly about colour being more important than specs (from Google/Android, that's amazingly amusing), the lack of an quad-core and 1080 p screen was not being screamed from the rooftops, and the 10mp camera was hailed by Pocketnow as a new imaging innovation (WTF).

So, what do the folks here say about the Moto X's marketing messages and its seemly Cut/Paste adoption from the Lumia line launches?

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
moto x is indeed underwhelming. I don't dig the design, the interesting thing is voice based commands. The camera shake doesn't work well, pictures are so so.

No, not too impressed, people love having an opinion which is the case with lumias.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
The shape of the phone is kind of odd. But I do like the idea of changing the back cover. Especially to wood design. I just love the way wood grain looks.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Motorola/Google totally dropped the ball on the Moto X.

I thought it was going to be a true game changer, i.e. a high quality phone with current specs designed for the mass-market at very competitive pricing and insane customization options (to allow for differentiation). I even expected the price to be $299 off-contract and available via the Google Play Store. God was I wrong.

The Verge gave a good analysis of the situation and it seems Motorola was aiming to make Moto X a true iPhone competitor in terms of branding. So the emphasis was on high quality hardware and innovation, and the pricing will certainly reflect it. I can see the rationale behind it, but it'd only make sense if iPhone held like 80% of the smartphone market, not <20% and declining. That "beat iPhone" ship has sailed, and now is the time to grow by capturing the next billion users, Moto X does not fulfil that role.

Nokia/Microsoft have a golden chance at exploiting Gogorola's misplay. I'd take the Lumia 720 and load it up with the 920's current specs from LTE, CPU, RAM and PureMotion HD+ screen. Heck, if costs permit I'd even take the 920's PureView camera and put it in the "730". I'd take this new Lumia 730 and price it at $299.99 off-contract and unlocked. It should be available online at Microsoft, Microsoft Stores as well as Microsoft mini-stores within Best Buy. Offer customizations in through colours (esp. two-tone), Qi charging covers, etc. In addition, be sure to partner with Zound to make a really high-quality but affordable Nokia exclusive headphone. And finally, if we do get an official Instagram app, I'd revive the AMAZING EVERYDAY campaign, showing how Nokia's optics and WP's integration to Instagram and Vine let people capture the "Amazing Everyday...."

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Don't care at all about the Moto X, the only thing that intrigued me was the wood options. It would be pretty cool to have wood as the back panel on a phone, if it was a Lumia I would give it a second look.

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Dont understand why Google is competing to beat iPhone when they have more share already. Also, fighting Apple like that is not favorable, your playing their game

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Isn't Android's Overall Market share higher than Iphone(with all those hundreds of devices) but aside from the Galaxy S devices, no other Android device can actually rival the Iphone in terms of sales(though i am not sure if the Galaxy S devices have actually sold more than iphones or not).

So in a way i can see Motogoogle trying to create their own iphone like device.

sandeepthondoli

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Wow!! This is the best observation i have ever read! Its just like when people tried to say the earth was round and not flat! Others had a million reasons to mock this theory. Google/Android has overtaken the entire smartphone market! Hats off to that. It was a brilliant and timely move. You can never have any complaints with Android OS or Samsung phones. But android (and IOS) is basically a background with icons....which was a windows design from 1970s or 80s. Enter Nokia with Windows Phone 8. It redifined the homescreen with livetiles. It took evrything that android and Samsung was not....smoooth n simple OS, sturdy n quality hardware, extraordinary camera etc. But people are so uncomfortable with change that they will not accept it...but that does not last! Windows and Nokia has a looong way to go..but its gettin there slowly...(too slowly maybe) but I really hope they make a market of their own and not start becoming like Android phones!!
Now Moto X has copied A-Z of the Lumia line....and added the Voice control feature (which is brilliant) and suddenly all that was discouraged in Lumia line suddenly become appreciatable....hypocites..tats all!

bryantest

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I think the Moto X is being underestimated. Agree that marketing could had been way better

How many smartphones out there have there have 8 cores that work together under a customized architecture that enables the phone to have stellar battery life with ONLY a 2,200 mAh battery to boot?

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't impressed with any of Moto's so-called 5 features.The closest to something innovative and not stolen from Nokia, Microsoft or Apple was the touchless mode. Yet even that doesn't work if you secure your device, which anyone in a corporate environment must do and which everyone else SHOULD do.

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Motorola Moto X's ClearPixel camera stands against the Nokia Lumia 1020 PureView snapper - GSMArena Blog

gsmarena_005.jpg

Moto X pretty much destroyed by 1020's camera. Not that we really expected anything different.

Moto X is somewhat a rather confused mid-tier product. In my view it struggles to bringing anything distinctively superior / new over the competitions: it's own bigger sibling Droid Maxx does better in battery life; Nexus 4 in price; 1020 in camera; LG G2 in spec sheet; S4 in marketing budget. Sure Moto X illustrates Google's in-house software expertise, shown by the new notification - but it's too early to see the full benefit of Google in the product process.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Motorola Moto X's ClearPixel camera stands against the Nokia Lumia 1020 PureView snapper - GSMArena Blog

http://cdn.gsmarena.com/pics/13/07/moto-x-lumia-1020/gsmarena_005.jpg

Moto X pretty much destroyed by 1020's camera. Not that we really expected anything different.

Moto X is somewhat a rather confused mid-tier product. In my view it struggles to bringing anything distinctively superior / new over the competitions: it's own bigger sibling Droid Maxx does better in battery life; Nexus 4 in price; 1020 in camera; LG G2 in spec sheet; S4 in marketing budget. Sure Moto X illustrates Google's in-house software expertise, shown by the new notification - but it's too early to see the full benefit of Google in the product process.

Damn... Did you read the comments?? These ios and droid fanboys are taking a **** on wp and nokia in the comments...

It's a shame, if only they gave it a try...

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Damn... Did you read the comments?? These ios and droid fanboys are taking a **** on wp and nokia in the comments...

Meh compare to the S3 which I use, Moto X would be a ... pointless upgrade / slight downgrade.

I'm pretty OS agnostic myself - will probably use S3 and 1020 at the same time if I do go for one. 1020 would actually be quite refreshingly different.

From what I could see, I have far more photos from the time I had N8, than any other phone - simple as that. Good camera phones really makes a difference. These days with S3 I only take photos when I really have to, it's not really enjoyable. :eek:rly: Pretty

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Meh compare to the S3 which I use, Moto X would be a ... pointless upgrade / slight downgrade.

I'm pretty OS agnostic myself - will probably use S3 and 1020 at the same time if I do go for one. 1020 would actually be quite refreshingly different.

From what I could see, I have far more photos from the time I had N8, than any other phone - simple as that. Good camera phones really makes a difference. These days with S3 I only take photos when I really have to, it's not really enjoyable. :eek:rly: Pretty

Thay are not even talking about the article, it's just a page filled with wp bashing...

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
So, yeah, that video really proved we're not missing anything. Man, the white balance is SO OFF on the Moto X in those outdoor shots and it washed out every color. Though, I'm wondering if the guy knew his way around the Moto X camera. I follow Phil Nickenson from Android Central on Google+, and he has some pretty good shots taken from the Moto X. Nothing mind blowing (like I was with the Lumia 1020's camera), but better than the guy in the vid seemed to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786