Moving Windows 10 Installation to SSD

WiseguyFI

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
I have upgraded my Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Recently I bought a new SSD for my desktop and I wish to move the existing installation to SSD from HDD.

As the upgrade path is closed now and I do not want to go through the hassle of installing everything step-by-step from stratch, how can I move my existing Win10 installation to SSD ?

For some reason I cannot reply to answers in this page as I see no "REPLY" button.

Last edited:

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I have upgraded my Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Recently I bought a new SSD for my desktop and I wish to move the existing installation to SSD from HDD.

As the upgrade path is closed now and I do not want to go through the hassle of installing everything step-by-step from stratch, how can I move my existing Win10 installation to SSD ?

A usb hd external box for putting in the new drive, and a free cloning software. And a lot of hours of patience ;)

EDIT: if you got a free sata slot in your desktop, you don't need the box

WiseguyFI

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
When I performed such kind of transfer on Windows 7, it asked me to reactivate Windows 7. I am sure it will require same kind of action on Windows 10 as well, but as this is a "Free Upgrade" I have no key to perform such operation. Is there any site etc where I can obtain the information.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
When I performed such kind of transfer on Windows 7, it asked me to reactivate Windows 7. I am sure it will require same kind of action on Windows 10 as well, but as this is a "Free Upgrade" I have no key to perform such operation. Is there any site etc where I can obtain the information.
You have the digital key due to the upgrade. It should automatically activate once connected to the internet since that is how W10 upgrade key works. If the only hardware you are changing is the drive, you should be just fine. As far as cloning over the drive, check with the SSD manufacturer. Some provide software exclusively for migrating.

nontheistzero

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
I moved my Win10 from HDD to SSD using the software that came with my Samsung drive. I did not need to do anything special. I simply cloned it and selected it on the next boot. Simple as anything.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Originally did free "in-place" upgrade to W10 from W7. Pulled the HD, installed new SSD. Performed a clean W10 installation from downloaded ISO. New W10 installation activated automatically.

Just to be safe, record your current W10 Product ID somewhere. . .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon