MSFT Considering Android Apps For Windows Phones.

alveswes

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
It seems both camps in this discussion have good points, but I would just like to point out another reason why I think Microsoft is going down a path that may damage the Windows Phone.

My excitement about the WP8.1 SDK leaks was washed out in one fell swoop with those rumors (and the lack of denial from Joe Belfiore and Frank Shaw). After all, even if this may be coming on WP9 only, what would be the point of continuing investing in apps in a platform I will no longer use? (I have my reasons for not wanting anything android related on my phones). So yesterday I moved the SIM card of one of my 3 lines from my 1520 to my company provided iPhone 5S that was sitting on a drawer and started trying to find apps to replace the ones I use on WP just to see how hard it will be to switch.

What I realized is that it would not be hard at all. Pretty much every Microsoft service and app I use on WP is also available on the iPhone. The Skydrive app even backups the pictures taken on the iPhone almost the same way WP does. Office is also there (I have a subscription anyway) and so are OneNote, SmartGlass, Lync, Office365 admin, Xbox Music, etc etc. The bottom line is that with the exception of Xbox Video, all the integration I praise so much from the platform is available for the iPhone as well and even Xbox Video I suspect will be made available eventually.

Granted, I will miss some OS features like the live tiles, XBL enabled games (already so few and far between anyway) and device specific features such as the camera on my 1020, but Microsoft has made it too easy anyone to switch for whatever reason.

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It seems both camps in this discussion have good points, but I would just like to point out another reason why I think Microsoft is going down a path that may damage the Windows Phone.

My excitement about the WP8.1 SDK leaks was washed out in one fell swoop with those rumors (and the lack of denial from Joe Belfiore and Frank Shaw). After all, even if this may be coming on WP9 only, what would be the point of continuing investing in apps in a platform I will no longer use? (I have my reasons for not wanting anything android related on my phones). So yesterday I moved the SIM card of one of my 3 lines from my 1520 to my company provided iPhone 5S that was sitting on a drawer and started trying to find apps to replace the ones I use on WP just to see how hard it will be to switch.

What I realized is that it would not be hard at all. Pretty much every Microsoft service and app I use on WP is also available on the iPhone. The Skydrive app even backups the pictures taken on the iPhone almost the same way WP does. Office is also there (I have a subscription anyway) and so are OneNote, SmartGlass, Lync, Office365 admin, Xbox Music, etc etc. The bottom line is that with the exception of Xbox Video, all the integration I praise so much from the platform is available for the iPhone as well and even Xbox Video I suspect will be made available eventually.

Granted, I will miss some OS features like the live tiles, XBL enabled games (already so few and far between anyway) and device specific features such as the camera on my 1020, but Microsoft has made it too easy anyone to switch for whatever reason.

If the rumors were to be true i can see how it would take the excitement away from Windows Phone 8.1 but we have no confirmation either way and Microsoft don't comment on rumors or speculation which could potentially be interpreted as false rumors, there are enough android/ios fans in the tech world to take the wind out of anyone sails which is unfortunate as competition is always a healthy thing for us consumers...and yes I agree from your comments it basically means that Windows Phone is comparable to both ios/android with the exception of apps (we need a few more to please diehard andriod/ios fans and to make some of us even more excited for the future of Windows Phone.....GO MICROSOFT :)

(btw I would like to stress a few people out (XBOX/XBOX 360/XBOX ONE, WINDOWS 8/8.1, WINDOWS PHONE 7/7.5/8, SURFACE RT/PRO/1&2, MS OFFICE, SKYPE, OUTLOOK, ONEDRIVE, INTERNET EXPLORER, BING, HOTMAIL) any of these words make anyone angry lol :) they shouldn't make anyone angry there is some really impressive stuff coming from Microsoft and their Research Lab is testament to that, which is good news for all of us consumers in the long run..

Last edited:

alveswes

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
If the rumors were to be true i can see how it would take the excitement away from Windows Phone 8.1 but we have no confirmation either way and Microsoft don't comment on rumors or speculation which could potentially be interpreted as false rumors, there are enough android/ios fans in the tech world to take the wind out of anyone sails which is unfortunate as competition is always a healthy thing for us consumers...and yes I agree from your comments it basically means that Windows Phone is comparable to both ios/android with the exception of apps (we need a few more to please diehard andriod/ios fans and to make some of us even more excited for the future of Windows Phone.....GO MICROSOFT :)

While I understand that they won't comment on rumors, Frank Shaw is known for lambasting many rumors when they are baseless. Add that to the fact that even Daniel Rubino has said Tom Warren has indeed access to inside information and you can see why I am taking it seriously.
As a WP user since day one with a Samsung Focus and having owned almost every single device available on AT&T since, I never considered the possibility of switching platforms until now, even when it didn't have all the apps I needed.
Hopefully they will decide against it, but until then, I personally will not invest on anymore WP hardware or apps.

Last edited:

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
While I understand that they won't comment on rumors, Frank Shaw is known for lambasting many rumors when they are baseless. Add that to the fact that even Daniel Rubino has said Tom Warren has indeed access to inside information and you can see why I am taking it seriously.
As a WP user since day one with a Samsung Focus and having owned almost every single device available on AT&T since, I never considered the possibility of switching platforms until now even when it didn't have all the apps I needed.
Hopefully they will decide against it, but until then, I personally will not invest on anymore WP hardware or apps.

I will still invest in the platform but would be disappointed if they give in too quickly..I don't believe they will but we live in a strange world..It would be great if Microsoft will make a statement on this quickly so people know what to expect (some integration may not be bad, but I do not wish Windows Phone to Die, I want WP to remain unique and as fast as it is, most things can be achieved quicker on a Windows Phone plz don't change it with Android Apps), There is plenty of Money to be made on Windows Phone as it is...and the user base is growing very quick we have the fastest growing smartphone platform...

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-world-fastest-growing-smartphone-operating-system
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...e-growing-faster-than-android-in-u-s--1156276
http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/31/a...arket-share-windows-phone-is-fastest-growing/

and there are also articles about the apps store being the fastest growing too
http://www.noknok.tv/2014/02/14/favourite-local-apps-nokia-lumia-windows-phone/

no wonder there are people trying to railroad this...

between 2012 and 2013
windows phone grew 90.9%
android grew 58.7%
ios grew 12.9%

pretty impressive if you ask me

Last edited:

alveswes

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, msxbox. Regardless of the path Microsoft takes, I do wish WP continues to grow. Nothing better than fierce competition to keep innovation going after all. :)

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I will still invest in the platform but would be disappointed if they give in too quickly..I don't believe they will but we live in a strange world..It would be great if Microsoft will make a statement on this quickly so people know what to expect (some integration may not be bad, but I do not wish Windows Phone to Die, I want WP to remain unique and as fast as it is, most things can be achieved quicker on a Windows Phone plz don't change it with Android Apps), There is plenty of Money to be made on Windows Phone as it is...and the user base is growing very quick we have the fastest growing smartphone platform...

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-world-fastest-growing-smartphone-operating-system
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...e-growing-faster-than-android-in-u-s--1156276
http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/31/a...arket-share-windows-phone-is-fastest-growing/

and there are also articles about the apps store being the fastest growing too
http://www.noknok.tv/2014/02/14/favourite-local-apps-nokia-lumia-windows-phone/

no wonder there are people trying to railroad this...

between 2012 and 2013
windows phone grew 90.9%
android grew 58.7%
ios grew 12.9%

the percentages look awesome!

but then, the actual units sold... vs the competition.

yesterday I sold 0 cups lemonade.
today I sold 15.
tomorrow I'm buying a yacht with the profits.

or maybe, I've just found the 15 people left that don't like beer or wine.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
the percentages look awesome!

but then, the actual units sold... vs the competition.

yesterday I sold 0 cups lemonade.
today I sold 15.
tomorrow I'm buying a yacht with the profits.

or maybe, I've just found the 15 people left that don't like beer or wine.

Lol ohgood. But please remember that this is a war or a marathon. Use any analogy that you want. msxbox has a good point with his observation. There is prove every where that WP is gaining ground very rapidly. Your analogy is better suited for a street vendor not WP. Perhaps you had (1) to many today. ;-).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If Microsoft chose to adopt Android apps they have to get it right in the first release, they need compatibility with the latest version of android, good performance, only accept apps that run really well, get a couple of emblematic android apps working flawlessly. This way they would get the headlines in their favor and theidea would sink in the mind of the people. Months later they could relax the standard and start accepting apps that don't run that well but do the job.
The pr team have to transmit the idea that Android is only for niche apps, to fill holes, and WP is capable enough of getting native apps from top developers. Even if some tech press could question the idea of Android apps, the interest in the audience would be created, and reinforced if the first few Android apps in the store work flawlessly.
The Android SDK has to be understood as piece of software not strictly associated with Google-Android. In those countries where Google is irrelevant (China) this is not a problem, but in the west the idea has to be reinforced, other emerging platforms adopting the Android SDK could help with this perception.

Sorry, I didn't write sooner. I had to stop laughing first. MS get something right first time? Are we on the same planet here? Flawlessly? Really? OK, maybe 5 years from now, but not anytime sooner than that. By then WP could be a distant memory.

That can change, think about flappy bird, there is nothing fashionable about that game but everybody want it. Microsoft has to do a great job with WP, Android apps just fill a hole, remove a big reason why people that consider WP chose to go in other direction, add some points of market share that WP need to survive, but beside that the product has to evolve and become attractive in diverse ways.
It's important to understand the objective, It would be an heroic feat if WP would reach 20% of market share worldwide, a more down to earth objective should be the survival of the platform, a 10% of market share, the same market share than apple worldwide.

You cannot compare Flappy Bird with an OS. That's a fad, you don't want a fad OS. I've already pointed to issues with going with Android. The online reviewers and all the haters will go off stating how WP has failed. Store reps will avoid steering people to use WP so that users can get a 'true' Android experience. You're saying it will be some sort of saviour so that people can't say WP doesn't have the apps. It might do that but at the same time it will lose all credibility. What's more important I guess is the question.

You are reading a fan site of people that already choose WP. So It's not the best sample to get a conclusion about what is keeping people from buying WP. From my experience talking with people buying a new phone, mindshare and apps are the key factors, not an obscure technical difficulty.

I don't just read this site. I read other sites. I know the general feeling that most reviewers have about WP. I also read the comments however painful and wrong they are. So, no I don't have the narrow view you think I have. On top of that, there's nothing wrong with hearing people's experience from a user perspective. The good, the bad and the ugly. WP has it all.

The smartphone market is complex, people have many different needs, but in the current state of affairs WP is competing more with Android than with iOS. Maybe a premium surface phone designed for productivity could help in the high end, but that strategy hasn't pay off in tablets, yet.
So to get those cheap Chinese users or people from developing countries with even lower income, they need the local Android apps to give a complete user experience.

Microsoft has to start working in the implementation of the Android SDK now.

Thing you miss here, along with most people is the thinking that WP should have been based on Android and that MS target was low end handsets. This is where you and most people are incorrect. WP is based on a similar idea as iOS. It functions very similar to it. If MS had wanted an Android clone, they would have made that from the outset. The low end handsets were Nokia's work, not MS. You can tell by the reaction of low end handset users in developing countries how difficult they find using WP in their situation compared to using the old Symbian handsets or low end Androids.

There's more to an OS than apps. Functionality is the other factor. With WP8.1 update we have the opportunity to see if WP is on the right path. Jumping to using another OS apps at this stage seems rather silly. If WP is growing like everyone says it is and developers have been slowly coming on board, however painful, why change direction now? If WP is going to succeed we NEED MS to start throwing it's weight behind it. It cannot think in marathon terms or the long run. It needs to act now. That's the only way for it to succeed in my eyes. A botched Android system is no answer.

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Lol ohgood. But please remember that this is a war or a marathon. Use any analogy that you want. msxbox has a good point with his observation. There is prove every where that WP is gaining ground very rapidly. Your analogy is better suited for a street vendor not WP. Perhaps you had (1) to many today. ;-).

lol, maybe i did. but it still sticks.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
between 2012 and 2013
windows phone grew 90.9%
android grew 58.7%
ios grew 12.9%

Nope. Any ***** can use percentage growth numbers to prove a specious point.

Relevant: xkcd: Fastest-Growing

For a better comparison, Eric Schmidt said (in 2013, I think) that Android reached 1.5 million activations per day globally. This is only activations that Google sees, and therefore leaves out all the forked non-google apps devices sold in China etc.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft decides to port Android it would be a tacit admission to the world that they can't get their own s#it together! I seriously doubt that it's even being discussed at ANY level within the company.

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The one point some of you are missing is we already know how successful Android is and IOS too, The point some of us are trying to drive home is that unless Windows Phone is given an equal chance of success then it will be an uphill battle to level up sales wise with the alternative OS's although its beating IOS Sales wise in many countries now, we still need the numbers,

If Windows Phone is reviewed in an unbiased fashion on more tech sites then the sales will ramp up very quick (Give the platform a chance to level up before judging it against the competition, well still judge but not write it off I mean)
Windows Phone does have the potential to compete at that level, I am sure we will see that soon.

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Any ***** can use percentage growth numbers to prove a specious point.

Relevant: xkcd: Fastest-Growing

For a better comparison, Eric Schmidt said (in 2013, I think) that Android reached 1.5 million activations per day globally. This is only activations that Google sees, and therefore leaves out all the forked non-google apps devices sold in China etc.

Thanks for Making us aware of something that is blatantly obvious..

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
it think this relates to your post

Chromebook sales growth: 2013 saw huge growth in business market | BGR

sounds like chromebooks are doing very well too...

Yes Chromebooks are doing well, but if you look at overall numbers and even market share it's not as great as the percentage number makes it sound. I was just trying to underline Markham Ranja's point that the percentage number doesn't always give us the complete picture. Small overall numbers inflate percentage. It's simple mathematics.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria